Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Grandad's shed

(150 Posts)
Bob Mon 14-Jan-13 22:36:22

hi out ther, new to the grandad's shed

GandTea Sat 30-Jul-16 16:28:16

When I was a teenager, my Grandfather fell off his shed roof while he was repairing it, breaking his arm. He was 70, I thought, silly old duffer, what was he doing on the roof at his age.

What have I been doing today? Starting to put a new roof on our summer house, much to Mrs P's consternation.

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Jul-16 18:25:44

In the blink of an eye we have morphed into that 'old Duffer!'
Except G&T in your head you are still that teenager wearing your spiderman cape.
So Summer house roof ...
No Problemo smile

Wobblybits Mon 07-Nov-16 18:11:40

Hi Bluewave, come into the shed and chat about your hobbies, I also fish and like boats, I have a Fairey Swordsman, tell you about that later if you return. You are not allowed to post anything that promotes your business though.

Beattie9 Mon 16-Apr-18 16:26:12

Is there anybody there? Hi, a new grandad to Grandad's Shed! Can't believe that no one's posted since the end of 2016!

Beattie9 Mon 16-Apr-18 16:43:40

Reading an earlier post about how chilly it can be in the shed, reminded me of when I was a nipper.

My grandad had a tiny unguarded gas fire in his shed, the hose of which he pushed onto one end of a piece of copper pipe sticking out of the wall. The other end of the pipe was inside our kitchen and had another length of hose attached which pushed onto the gas tap adjacent to the cooker.

Now my grandad was not the most athletic person in our house but to see him shift after he'd turned on the gas tap in the kitchen, and sprint down the yard to the shed to light the gas fire, would have challenged Usain Bolt!

My mum and I would put our fingers in our ears jokingly expecting an explosion which thankfully never came! (A true story from the days before Health & Safety went silly!)

mcem Mon 16-Apr-18 17:15:38

Rather than criticise them as going silly I say "Thank goodness Health and Safety rules make such a situation impossible today!"

Beattie9 Mon 16-Apr-18 17:44:50

mcem
If you believe that, then you are missing the point. Health & Safety legislation doesn't make a dangerous situation 'impossible', it simply makes someone responsible, and therefore liable to prosecution.

I accept that fear of litigation may dissuade some from dangerous practices but there are no guarantees.

Please take my flippant remark in my last post in the spirit in which it was intended and let's keep the posts light-hearted and fun!

Rufus2 Thu 03-May-18 10:24:37

Is there anybody there? Hi, a new grandad to Grandad's Shed! Can't believe that no one's posted since the end of 2016!
Beattie9; Have you ever had problems with that nickname? Reminds me of an Auntie I used to have in M/c! grin
I share your surprise! I was advised today to visit the Shed because I'd happen to say I'd welcome some company.
Greeted by a deathly silence; nothing seemed to be going on. Is there a computer in the Shed.? That would be an excellent activity with which to kick-start a useful project. I could bring a toolbox and notes. smile

The postings list needs culling too. 2 year greetings are rather dated and now serve no useful purpose; my opinion! wink How could we achieve that?
Any other Grandads able to add theirs?
Good to know you!

Ta-Ra and Good Health

Beattie9 Thu 03-May-18 17:08:29

Hi Rufus2, glad to hear from you. I was beginning to think I was using the wrong soap!

Don't think I've had any probs with nickname that I'm aware of! Pinched it from the Maureen Lipman ads for BT owing to a life-long interest in telephony (sad, I know!). Never gave a thought to gender connotations of the name!

I've posted on a few different threads, mainly in a fairly technical vein (engineering background) with varying degrees of response. Have tried to keep to Lord Reith's mantra of informing, educating and entertaining in my postings rather than simply having a rant about something!

Anyway, now that there are two people in the shed, there should be less of an echo!

Welcome!

Rufus2 Sat 05-May-18 07:00:17

Beattie9; Many thanks for your welcome. We must be using the same brand of soap because there hasn't exactly been a stampede of other Grandads following.

I was assured that there were other Grandads "out there". but perhaps they are not allowed out by their DWs! sad
Would Sheilas be allowed into the Shed if they were called "Carers"? wink
I'm interested in your CV regarding telephony. Hopefully, does this include solving computer glitches.?
Briefly, I tried to earn a crust as an industrial chemist (not pharmacist!) for 25 years in the paint industry (ICI) in the UK, before getting into plastics "Down Under"! Same difference, really!
Like you, I try to follow Lord Reith's mantra, with occasional overdoing of "humour", which lands me in trouble at times. Whether it's received well depends on the mood of the recipient at the time. which can be impossible to sense over the Internet. Has to be trial and error! grin

Expect you've noticed the news of (belated) Aussie entry into space technology? $50million. Phew!
There could be a job for you here!
A lovely climate, very friendly people, and a congenial lifestyle. grin

See you later!
Ta-Ra and Good Health

Elegran Sat 05-May-18 08:08:05

Have either of you considered that Lord Reith's BBC now seems paternalistic and patronising, and that maybe the rest of the posters don't really want ^"informing, educating and entertaining"? For the first two there are Futurelearn and Coursera, and for the last, TV. The forum is for social interaction, sharing of good and bad news and experiences, discussing the issues of the day, and just conversation.

There are mostly women on here. When men join, they have three types of approach -
1) Treat it like chat-up night in the club or dance hall.
2) Take the wheel.
3) Just chat about things as though we are all grown-ups with shared interests.

The men who last longest are in the third category.

Beattie9 Sat 05-May-18 10:07:12

Rufus2

Not sure if telephony is the ideal background for solving computer problems but I'll give it a go if you outline the issues!

I used to be in a amateur theatrical group (backstage) which had a producer who was an industrial chemist at, I think, ICI; really interesting guy!

We were doing 'Brigadoon' and for the mist, we were using blocks of 'dry-ice' that he was bringing from ICI each day. On the first night, he arrived only just in time as he had put the dry-ice in the boot of his car and managed to freeze the petrol in the feed pipe to the engine!

He turned up gasping and sweating, with extremely cold hands carrying this now much smaller block!

For the rest of the week's performances, he transported the stuff in a 4" thick box of expanded polystyrene! No more problems!

I must have missed the news about the Aussie Space Programme but I certainly don't need to look for any more jobs; don't think I'll live long enough to get around to those I want to do, let alone need to do!!!

Cheers!

grumppa Sat 05-May-18 11:04:17

Totally unaware of Grandad's Shed until this morning, and I've been Gransnetting for some years. Can't really see what's in it for me, but have fun, chaps.

Beattie9 Sat 05-May-18 13:48:21

Hi Grumppa!

I'm guessing (as an earlier posting suggested) that 'The Shed' is the place for the discussion, etc of traditionally practical-based topics and hobbies, such as fishing, cars and their restoration, woodwork, DIY, etc., etc!

What are your interests?

Don't give up just yet, The Shed needs you!

mcem Sat 12-May-18 21:21:54

"Informing, educating and entertaining"?
If you see that as your role on this forum you are, as elegran suggests, being a tad patronising.
How do you feel about becoming more informed, learning and being entertained?
Please do not feel that you have to take the lead and concentrate only on disseminating your wisdom and experience.
On the other hand, feel free to ask for help and take advice from a large group of mature women with a wealth of expertise in many professions and occupations.

Rufus2 Sun 13-May-18 06:56:01

How do you feel about becoming more informed, learning and being entertained?

mcem; Where have you been? And what are you doing in the Shed? I've missed you.! smile
Sometime ago I mentioned the dearth of Grandads and was told to look in the Shed. That was poor advice. It was almost deserted. I imagined it was a place where we men could let our hair down, or what's left of it!, in peace.
Now I find Grannies have annexed it. Is the Shed bugged? shock
But since you ask, yes! I've been more than informed, learned and entertained by a thread titled "Knickers" I was sorry when MawBroon gave it the last rites sad

But for a bit of variety could you please drop "patronising" in favour of "supercilious"? It sounds posher! wink

Ta-Ra and Cheers wine wine

Elegran Sun 13-May-18 07:55:45

I don't think Grummpa has given up. He posts on many topics, not just "men only" ones, (which could be why he didn't know about the shed. He didn't need it.), If something is asked on which he can help he is generous with his advice.

FrayedEdges Thu 04-Oct-18 08:31:10

Further to Beattie9 advice I have just about got a pipe from cooker to shed to warm it up. Actually its 4 bits with joins. I need another 18 inches if anyone has some spare hose! Sorry not sure what 18 inches is in metric

Florabunda60 Wed 21-Nov-18 02:02:47

Why can't grandad make his own tea like this granny has to?!

chico34 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:55:03

hi everyone new to grandads shed hope to hear from you all soon.

robbymax Sat 28-Sep-19 15:11:41

hi everyone a newby here, 77 years young and still think i can be helpful, although family would prefer me to be still and quite they will never win got a nice little workshop and can be creative, working on a new design magnet motor, and i am told they do not work, because it is impossible, so it seems a good reason to have a go 1

tracker99 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:42:03

Is this still open all posts seem to be very old

Rufus2 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:37:03

Is this still open all posts seem to be very old
Tracker99; Open but disused ever since woodworm was discovered! sad Grannies took over briefly which was the beginning of the end, but if you know how, we could build another and call it "Grandad's Cave" Nobody's permission needed! grin
OoRoo

maurasmith Fri 13-Dec-19 13:25:06

hello my loves,
little Eileen got stuck in her grandaddys shed yesterday, I had to coax her out with blackberry jam on crumpets!!
How are you all today my mauranators (my eldest grandchild told me to put that haha)

Love always,
Maura xx