Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

GRANDAD'S SHED

(33 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 22-Apr-20 13:51:01

Come on Grandads! I'm trying to restore our Shed to its original purpose, not a haven for shopping worriers! hmm
Transferring stuff from the old Shed might not work. Any helpful suggestions?
Quote;
"Unless I'm mistaken this thread is "titled "Grandad's Shed"
So what's going on in here? confused
What's going on is what Grandad 1943 feared would happen again. Grandads kicked out! sad
We're waiting to re-build the Shed when the planks arrive! Meanwhile I need room to pin up a notice (see below) setting out an example of what we're about! hmm
Thank You.
Funding For Men's Shed (Aussie type)
"I was proud to open the newly refurbished room at the
Monash Men's Shed. The Shed plays a fantastic role in
our community and this helps them to continue the great
work they do, strengthening social connections and
community involvement.
Thanks also to The Hon. Luke DonnellanMP, Minister
forDisability, Ageing and Carers who I joined in
announcing $60,000 in funding to the Waverley
Woodworkers. This funding will allow them to move
into their new facility at Central Reserve.

DiscoGran Wed 22-Apr-20 14:47:38

Hi Rufus, i want to join in your shed thread, but not sure what's going on. ?

Rufus2 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:40:06

not sure what's going on
Nor am I! confused but thank you for your interest! hmm
"There's a kind of hush all over Grandad's Shed!" grin
Somebody recently suggested the Shed could become a centre for social intercourse amongst other things, but that seems to have spooked other interested parties.
If you have any suggestions we'd love to hear them!
Otherwise I'll recommend we lock the door and throw away the key! sad
OoRoo and Good Health!

CherryCezzy Thu 23-Apr-20 14:12:28

Well Rufus there is the old stereotypical adage " if you need me I'm in the shed". Maybe a bit sexist now. Having said that what "the shed" could perhaps include: music, films, food etc that men (DHs and partners) enjoy that their OHs (men and women) don't, eg what is the one song you like that your OH doesn't etc

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 14:18:23

have you got your old radio and a thermos in there Rufus?
if there are biscuits I may pop round.
hope it's clean and tidy and spider free though!

Rufus2 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:03:45

How about this? smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMBh-eo3tvE

Rufus2 Fri 24-Apr-20 05:48:08

Hi! Some more Aussie culture! grin
Come on in Grandads! Plastic chairs have been banned. We have ordered up some comfortable rocking chairs so that we can feel comfy whilst we watch the ladies dusting.! grin

www.facebook.com/billkearnsbushpoet/videos/1480438155333358/
OoRoo

BradfordLass73 Tue 28-Apr-20 22:03:45

G'day.
First of all Rufus you should ban all non-blokes otherwise the real blokes won't feel safe here. Shan't post again for that very reason.

Rufus2 Wed 29-Apr-20 04:39:48

First of all Rufus you should ban all non-blokes otherwise the real blokes won't feel safe here. Shan't post again for that very reason
Braddy73 Aw! shucks! But if by "real blokes" you mean the NZ All Blacks then good!
All those big fellas shouting and stamping their feet would disturb the tranquil air we deserve and are striving for! grin
However "Non-blokes" should feel quite safe even on plastic chairs, for not so obvious reasons, unless you've got some cross-dressers in your team; that would sort them out! grin
Good Health. OoRoo

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Apr-20 07:04:25

Rufus2, as GN is located in the United Kingdom, sadly we have no alternative but to allow "non-blokes" into the shed or we will be prosecuted under the Equality Act.

However, if Grandads Shed is maintained at the same size as at present and not extended as planned the numbers that can access the venue is limited.

Therefore we males of the forum could purchase a number of "blow up male dolls" from the local (pardon the word) sex shop and sit them in the chairs when there are not enough of us "REAL MEN" around to fill the shed.

Any non-male then looking in through the rather smeary windows would think that the place is full and would not enter. That would leave the shed continuously available for us "REAL MEN" to have those uninhibited manly conversations that we all so much enjoy.

Problem solved. ?

Rufus2 Wed 29-Apr-20 14:09:09

we will be prosecuted under the Equality Act
Grandad No worries! You're forgetting I'm the British Cultural Attache to Victoria so I can claim diplomatic immunity! grin
That episode of "Only Fools and Horses" had female blow up plastic dolls so I think we'll have to let a couple of "non-blokes" into the Shed to show us where to insert the bicycle pump for these male dolls! shock
Although the problem with that will be that the non-blokes won't leave without taking some of the dolls with them! sad
You obviously know where the local (pardon me) sex shop is.
I'm locked down in the Embassy so I can't bring any, but I can email lots of jokes and we won't have to worry that someone will say " You can't say that! There are ladies present!" grin
See you there!?
Good Health
Cheers wine

Rufus2 Thu 30-Apr-20 13:40:17

purchase a number of "blow up male dolls"
Grandad No! I don't like that after seeing on our TV news this evening an enterprising restaurant owner wishing to convey the impression that business is good and not dead, has borrowed some mannequins from a nearby ladies' hairdressers where business is deader and seated them just inside the entrance! The TV pictures looked very attractive! grin
How about that? Better than looking at plastic males! hmm
Cheers

Elegran Thu 30-Apr-20 14:10:45

Watch out for the hazards of any plastic chairs that may have been left in the shed, grandads all. I saw a photo on Fb that would leave you feeling very upset. The paramedics were ministering to a gentleman who had been sunbathing in the nuddy on a plastic chair with a slatted seat. They had tipped the chair back to get at the underside, where the damage was evident in the photo.

Rufus2 Thu 30-Apr-20 14:43:22

Watch out for the hazards of any plastic chairs
Elegran Where have you been? We've already covered that topic. grin See earlier post; "Aussie Culture"
It's actually funny!
Warning; Grandads and DHs ; don't try this at home! grin
OoRoo

Elegran Thu 30-Apr-20 16:05:49

Memo to self - RTFP.

The reference to Aussie Culture hadn't tempted me to read that post.

yggdrasil Thu 30-Apr-20 16:12:05

Elegran: they censored that picture very quickly. The original made the problem very clear, and a serious warning :-)

grumppa Thu 30-Apr-20 17:16:22

We wouldn't necessarily be liable to prosecution if we had a men only rule; the Garrick Club in London still does not admit woman members. But I wouldn't want to join an institution that didn't admit women on equal terms.

Elegran Fri 01-May-20 08:37:38

Well said Grumpa. I wouldn't want to join one which didn't admit men on equal terms either (unless it was one which sheltered women who were fleeing from domestic abuse and still afraid. There should be a parallel organisation for men in the same situation)

Oopsminty Fri 01-May-20 08:41:12

We do still separate.

My husband won a weekend away with his business

40 odd couples

Upon arrival the men were informed that they'd be going to a racing track to drive Lamborghini's and the like

The women were to remain in the hotel to be pampered and preened

I hate being pampered

I wanted to go with the men

Far more fun

Elegran Fri 01-May-20 09:21:42

Some of the men might have preferred the chance to be pampered and preened - they could have taken your place while you enjoyed the racing cars! We are not all clones of one stereotype, we are people> .

Oopsminty Fri 01-May-20 09:23:54

Exactly Elegran!

Which is what I was saying at the time

In the end the pair of us just went off for a walk and pub lunch. We were joined by two other couples who had similar thoughts

Very pleasant it was too

Rufus2 Fri 01-May-20 12:36:17

But I wouldn't want to join an institution that didn't admit women on equal terms
Grumppa Excuse me, but you've veered off thread which is headed "Grandad's Shed" And what "equal terms" do you have in mind? . Seems like you're advocating "women's terms", which are? confused
Although I do remember you poking your head into the Shed some time ago, enquiring as to what was in it for you, which didn't create a good impression, especially as you never returned. hmm The only other occupant left GN shortly after! sad
OoRoo

Rufus2 Fri 01-May-20 12:43:04

women who were fleeing from domestic abuse
Elegran I've known more than a few men who've had to flee from domestic abuse too! grin
OoRoo

Davidhs Fri 01-May-20 13:53:45

My OH has her Craft Room I have my shed where I tinker with old cars, yesterday the craft room was full of chatter, 9 of the group had got a Zoom gathering organized. We lucky in that we can both have our own space and interests, as well as common interests.
No blow up dolls or even mucky calendars, just collection of rubber tyres, engine parts and a couple of old crocks that are even older than me.

Rufus2 Fri 01-May-20 15:23:32

Memo to self: Read RTFP
The reference to Aussie Culture hadn't tempted me to read that post
Elegran Language, please! Even a retired schoolteacher wouldn't dream of saying that, but if my memory serves me right there was a discussion lately involving MacQuaries during which you claimed there were many people in OZ of Scotch vintage.
How is it that you now apparently disown their contribution to Aussie culture? I don't know if there are any Scots in the National cricket team, probably not, but they must surely be represented in artistic circles.
What's more the Edinburgh Military Tattoo goes down well here! That's culture for you! wink
So take pride in your kinfolk "down under" and please read my posts!
OoRoo