Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

what do the grandchildren call you?

(89 Posts)
jackyann Thu 19-May-11 13:30:58

I shall soon be a first-time grandmother (love all the tips - thanks!)
In my area, the traditional names are: Nanna / nanny & Gramps / grampy.
In my family when we became adults it was thought that these names were childish, and we were invited to call our parents & grandparents by their given names (this goes back at least 3 generations)
However, when my children became adults they laughed at the idea of doing this - we remain "mum & dad", my parents remained "nanny & grampy", and their great-grandad had a family nickname that we all called him.
My parents recently died and I suppose we would traditionally become "nanny & grampy". I myself would be quite happy to be called by my given name (a suggestion that has caused even more hilarity!)
So: I find "grandma" formal, "nanny / nanna" fine for small children (but I hope to be around until they are adults).
My children think it's silly to use my given name (as if I don't want to be a granny - I do!!)
I don't have any cultural background to enable me to get round it by calling myself "oma / nonna" etc.

Please pitch in, you all have such good ideas about everything else!

sparkygran Mon 30-Jun-14 18:29:56

I thought long and hard about what we would be called when our 1st grandchild came along 10 years ago and eventually opted for Grandma and Grandpa I don`t find these name formal I just like the Ma and Pa element to them

janerowena Mon 30-Jun-14 19:01:27

Grandma and Granpa here too. It doesn't worry me at all. It did while my daughter was pregnant - but as soon as GS was born - well, what's in a name? If DBH was called Theophilus I would still love him.

jenn Tue 01-Jul-14 12:19:40

My grandson lives in Poland and grandma there is Baba.
He calls his mum's mum small Baba his greatgranma is BigBaba and because I have a horse I am horsey Baba.

janerowena Tue 01-Jul-14 13:25:43

I like the Swedish way - mormor for mother's mother, morfar for mother's father, farfar for father's father, farmor for father's mother. Eay words for a child, yet you know instantly which grandparent is being referred to.

granjura Tue 01-Jul-14 14:25:09

We had friends in the 70s who forbade their kids to call them 'mum' and 'dad'- which I found so bizarre and silly. And we now have friends who forbid their grand-kids to call them anything like 'granny' and 'granpa' (etc)- which I also find daft (personally, sorry).

Do any of you find it distasteful to be called the above and variations of?

crazycat Tue 01-Jul-14 16:07:23

I'm known as nana to my three grand kids. They call hubby "gramps".

Not sure whay they call us behind our backs though! grin

granjura Tue 01-Jul-14 20:17:51

ahaha being called 'nanna' here would really make people laugh. I was once, but no longuer ;)

Une nanna, is a stunning woman, or even a bimbo ;) (in French)

Rowantree Tue 01-Jul-14 20:22:50

I'm Grandma Wise (no, don't titter!) or Grandma Crone.... DH is Grandpa Andrew.

Baylzma Wed 02-Jul-14 08:59:31

I am Nanny Carol to the eldest 7 of my Grandchildren but to the youngest 4 (all siblings ages 2 - 7) I am Nanny-Nanny as they say I am more special than Nanny. This, as you may imagine makes me feel wonderful.

dorsetpennt Wed 02-Jul-14 09:32:42

My granddaughters have two grandmothers who wanted to be called granny, neither of us like nan or nanny [we're not goats] or grandma. So we settled on being two grannies. However, my oldest granddaughter, for no reason we know of, started to call me Gagi and that's what they both call me. So we have Granny and Gagi.

oznan Wed 02-Jul-14 11:38:16

I am little nanny,ex-hubby is grandad silly,step-gran is gran,other nan and grandad are nanny and grandad bubbles.Great nan is big nanny!Don't ask me why!

Rowantree Wed 02-Jul-14 13:23:00

I never knew my grandparents. Two were killed at Auschwitz, another grandmother died of septicaemia when my mother was 2 and my other grandfather died when my mother was 13. I used to envy friends whose grandparents were still alive and saw their grandchildren regularly. However, I did have one great-grandmother - who was quite happy to be called Grandma smile For some reason my mother wasn't that keen on her - she'd brought my mother up from childhood when her mother died and my mother hated living in St Helens with a grandmother who was, to her, rather cold and unloving.
And sadly my own mother died too soon to see many of her grandchildren, let alone any great-grandchildren. I am so glad my father is still alive to see his little great-granddaughter, but he's always insisted that his grandchildren call him by his first name (Heinz) and NOT Grandpa and that's how it's always been. He says that being called Grandpa would make him feel old grin

GrannieBumble Tue 08-Jul-14 20:22:43

I am called Bumble, originally Grannie Bumble but I felt this might be shortened to Grumble ! So kept calling myself just Bumble & it worked !