Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My Grandchild said to me..

(47 Posts)
tanith Sat 05-Nov-11 23:01:22

My youngest grandaughter 6 and I had lunch together at half-term then we went to the park , we have a large open park just round the corner and as we got to the edge of a large open field and the sun was shining I had the urge to run (which I don't do very often having arthritis and a hip-replacement) anyway I said "beat you to the playground", and we raced each other across that field. When we got near the playground I slowed down she was in front of me , she turned with such a look of surprise and said " I never knew Nannies could run", it was such a wonderful moment and I'll remember it always. She is a beautiful child.

So any other My grandchild said moments to share?

Mishap Sun 13-Nov-11 22:46:09

My 8 year old GS (whom I see about 4 or 5 times a year) was with us recently. I was cooking and he was making his way across the kitchen when he suddenly stopped, ran over to me, put his arms round me and said: "My lovely Grandma" - aah!

Mishap Sun 13-Nov-11 22:48:19

And my daughter (then aged about 4) was once writing a letter to Father Christmas saying what she would like as a present. I was expecting some sort of list of expensive items, but when I read it it said: "Please could you bring me a brown felt tip pen" - aah again! She is still not the acquisitive type and she is about to be 29.

jingle Mon 14-Nov-11 10:10:46

I was sooo delighted when my littlest grandson bought me a choccie Advent calendar, quite of his own accord.

Then his mum told me they were buy one get one free and he had to wait for his brother to choose the one he wanted. Granny came in useful. hmm shock (at least it wasn't grandad grin)

Faye Sun 27-Nov-11 07:18:18

My SIL had a few male friends who are in their 20s, drop by. One of them must have impressed my GS who is nearly four. He said to his mother 'can you turn that boy's head around so he can see me.' smile

Greatnan Sun 27-Nov-11 07:26:41

In the days when I was still considered glamorous, my then 4-year old DGD looked at me as I was putting on my make-up and asked why I used it. I replied that it was to make me pretty. She said 'Why doesn't it?'
So much for my vanity!

dontcallmegramps Wed 30-Nov-11 12:21:57

I was heartened and very touched when the eldest GD opened my outdoor tool store -spades picks unusual shovels lawnmower and the like- and said...

"its so tidy and neat! "

( the doting Grandma, on hearing this ,commented with a slightly acidic tone "that's because her father's shed is a tip...")

supernana Wed 30-Nov-11 12:56:40

DCMG...made me laugh!

Annika Fri 09-Dec-11 15:35:21

My sister-in-law told me that her grandson told her that Santa lived in .... laptopland.
And there is me thinking it was Lapland grin

gracesmum Fri 09-Dec-11 18:33:59

Laptopland sounds about right for the young generation!
I wish Littlest Fella had a name for his Granny sad but no go - he still calls me mama, his allpurpose word for anybody grown up apart from Mummee and Daddee.
I did smile at seeing him walking round the kitchen studying a lego leaflet with real concentration, furrowed brow and all. When asked what he was doing he said "Didding" (reading)
Maybe next time I see him........... we have "oof oof "for dogs, "goggle" for squirrels and "gook" for book, so it might not be too long. I would aven be happy to be called gaga (but not grin by you guys)

borstalgran Fri 09-Dec-11 21:43:34

My 3 year old GD came across the word 'serpent'. Unfortunately, she insists the word is 'sercunt'. Cannot shift it. Tricky!

em Fri 09-Dec-11 22:45:30

For a while, GS had some trouble with initial sounds of words and called his scarf 'a farf'. When he wanted sweets he asked for a tube of 'farties'!

jingl Fri 09-Dec-11 22:54:46

em, grin

grannysanny Fri 09-Dec-11 23:25:34

My DGD, 5yrs old coming downstairs in Tesco says "Granny you cant fall on these calulators" LOL

Police car with flashing blue lights passing the car DGD says....thats my Daddy's favourite car LOL

bagitha Sat 10-Dec-11 10:48:39

The three year old child of an American friend of mine saw snow for the first time in England (she had lived in Texas until then). She stared out of the window for a long time at the falling snow and then said: "Mommy, someone is cuttin' up the clouds."

Annika Sat 10-Dec-11 11:24:53

borstalgran* grin
em grin
When my son was small he too put an f on the front of most words. That would be a little embarrasing, for when ever I would pop to my friends for a coffee he would tell the whole world we were going for a focoffee.
Red faces all found blush

gracesmum Sat 10-Dec-11 14:44:43

Out of the mouths of babes etc eh? smile smile

dontcallmegramps Sat 10-Dec-11 16:53:15

Oh yes the eldest GD from the moment she managed to talk called her Uncle Paul "Aunty Paulie"...

She has other uncles whom she calls "uncle"
but no ...he's still aunty

She has realised its wrong but is funny and now 4 yrs old insists He is "Aunty"

BurgundyGran Sun 18-Dec-11 00:06:25

We went to our grandson's school concert on Thursday. After all the singing, pressies from Père Noel, cake and juice he told me that the girl next to him was in his class.

'Whats her name James?'

No answer so the little girl siad ' its Manou.'

'Thats a very pretty name' I told her.

As she walked away I told James that Manou is very pretty.

'Oh, Nana, there are some girls even prettier than her.'

He is eight, and needs to learn about girls and their feelings.

bikergran Sun 18-Dec-11 20:12:20

one and only granson told me the other day..that "Grandad Georgie" feel out of bed and went striaght to heaven for 500 yrs!! hubby said " oh heck I must remember nevr to fall out of bed " !!!!

bikergran Sun 18-Dec-11 20:12:46

" fel "

BurgundyGran Thu 22-Dec-11 23:08:58

It isn't the presents that are important at Christmas it is having a good time, enjoying yourself and being with family.

So says my Grandson aged 8