Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

How bad do I feel!

(32 Posts)
nanapug Tue 27-Dec-11 17:38:49

My DGD is a sweet, kind , intelligent but dreadfully clumsy seven year old. We have a relatively new lounge carpet and today she managed to knock over a cup of coffee just by being careless. I am afraid I shouted at her for being clumsy which made her cry. She didn't do it on purpose, and I do try not to get cross if an accident happens, but I feel her mother is a bit laid back when it comes to helping her address this clumsiness. Her mother (my DD) is a fantastic Mum but very laid back. The children are very happy but their house is basically a mess, which although I think that she is an excellent parent and if she wants to live in a bomb site that is their business, I feel it does not encourage respect of things and maybe my DGD doesn't think about the consequences of knocking things over etc. Should I have got cross? (I do have a lot to do with my DGC so am very involved in their care)

grannyactivist Thu 05-Jan-12 14:20:52

My house, my rules. I was visited by a friend and her two sons, aged 8 and 10, during the Christmas period. Both lovely boys, but the eight year old is testing boundaries and was a little unruly. I offered chocolates from the Christmas tin and then made further ones dependent upon good behaviour. The younger boy twice missed out on more chocolates before accepting that I meant what I said and adapted his behaviour accordingly.

maxgran Thu 05-Jan-12 14:35:22

Good for you Grannyactivist !
Mind you - I think many of today's parents would think that was really cruel !
My daughter cannot handle anything like that - she would rather all her children did without if one was not allowed a choc due to bad behaviour. Its no wonder kids never learn.
These days children are not allowed to experience being upset,..from what I see anyway !

Cyril Thu 05-Jan-12 21:58:56

A child of seven being clumsy, or is that careless, when knocking over a drink that had been put near for her to drink, is certainly old enough to be having a conversation about how she would feel if you knocked a drink over on her new dress, book, game, etc and perhaps let her know why you shouted. I know children of that age get very engrossed in what they are doing and 'forget' what was said two minutes ago, but I recall a conversation with a child of mine at that age when being told to replace a drink on the table where it had been picked up from, at the far side of the plate. The child replaced the cup at the edge of the table as so many of them do and seconds later elbowed it off the table. The childs sister was drenched in orange juice and they were both in tears. While I know all this upset was accidental it could have been avoided. I asked the child who had spilled the drink to replace the empty cup where I had already said it should be and repeat what he had done when the drink was spilled. When he realised that doing as asked would have left him with his orange to drink and his sister dry that was the last time that that particular accident ever occurred. Would it be an idea perhaps to tell this child that her drink is on the table and please to come and drink it so that she is only doing one thing at a time?

Annobel Thu 05-Jan-12 22:23:27

And what about a granny who spilt a full glass of red wine on DS and DiL's carpet, as I did, just after they had moved into their house? Accidents don't just happen. They are caused. And I admitted it. Nobody yelled at me. Luckily they were planning to do away with that carpet, but still...hmm

harrigran Thu 05-Jan-12 22:40:17

I am very clumsy and often have accidents with glasses, I spilt white wine on Christmas eve and a water glass on Christmas day. When I was a child I was scolded and then smacked for each accident which made me more nervous so I had more accidents. A couple of weeks ago DH shouted at me because I tilted a plate on the tray I was carrying and I felt 7 years old again and promptly burst into tears, for a second or two I was a child again and became very distressed.

Carol Thu 05-Jan-12 22:56:18

My house, my rule is 'we don't behave like that in THIS house.' They all know and gradually learn that they have more freedom if they respect this rule.