Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Waiting for the call

(33 Posts)
GrandmaRoo Sat 31-Dec-11 14:49:21

Hello everyone, I'm new to this, trying to stay calm and unstressy so I can be in a fit state to help DD when the call finally comes through. Her waters broke - well, started leaking - yesterday afternoon. Since then, 2 visits from the midwife but absolutely nothing else. Today she's done several laps of the local park, been out for lunch, and seen her midwife again. She's a 2-hour drive away, but through central London - goodness knows what that will be like if we leave it til later, with all the New Year celebrations. Her midwife is adamant that we don't need to do anything yet, and so of course I'm calmly agreeing with DD and trying to stay busy.

Just had text to say latest midwife keen to get things moving within 48 hours, so DD is off for reflexology later this afternoon, plus lots of exercises to do. (Reflexology?)

So, when the call comes and we make it through the revellers, any advice for me in the delivery room (with lovely SIL too)? She has a water birth booked, if all is straightforward. I feel very anxious, much more than I ever did with my own four babies, and want so much to support her.

Thanks, everyone.

GoldenGran Thu 09-Feb-12 13:33:37

Congratulations grandmaroo, and welcome to your DG, sounds a pretty awful delivery, but glad everyone is well. Enjoy grandmotherhood, it is the best. thanks

nanachrissy Thu 09-Feb-12 13:46:33

Congratulations Grandmaroo, we soon forget the painful bits, it's Mother Natures way of making sure we do it again! thanks

Learnergran Thu 09-Feb-12 15:12:49

So pleased for you Grandmaroo, there is nothing like cuddling that little body! Sorry your DD had such a bad time, but as nanachrissy says, we do forget - although we remember having experienced pain the pain itself is over and gone thanks

GrandmaRoo Thu 09-Feb-12 15:25:23

Thank you so much again for all your lovely messages. I'm amazed how heartening and comforting I find them.

We really are all looking forward to next time, and in the meantime my other three (and partners) are definitely looking and sounding very broody. Joyous times......

Carol Thu 09-Feb-12 15:37:14

grandmaroo I am so pleased for you that the ordeal is over and everyone is recovering - it sounds like it was an absolute nightmare and thank goodness for the doctor who was in life-saving mode. Truly brilliant! Can't wait to hear more about your little grandson, and I hope your daughter is able to put it all behind her and rejoice that they both came through it thanks

kittylester Thu 09-Feb-12 21:06:59

Congratulations GrandmaRoo what a relief. thanks

Faye Fri 10-Feb-12 18:36:34

Congratulations GrandmaRoo lovely news of the birth of your new granddaughter after a very scary start! thanks