Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Fete des grands-mères

(32 Posts)
Mamie Tue 06-Mar-12 09:29:16

Last Sunday was the day of the grandmother in France; most of my neighbours seemed to have family visits, cakes and flowers. Not sure I approve of heavily commercial special days, but this seemed quite nice. What do other people think?

gracesmum Tue 06-Mar-12 21:42:45

Oh granb was it their first baby? It is heartbreaking to be a parent without a child. I found that the worst - when people would ask "Do you have any children?" Once you have given birth, YOU ARE A MOTHER so a very very sad day for them thanksthanks

jeni Tue 06-Mar-12 21:49:32

My dd has lost two babies, she now has my dgd, she is besotted!
In very small letters (so am isunshine)

gracesmum Wed 07-Mar-12 10:48:16

jeni and DDflowersflowers

HappyNanna Wed 07-Mar-12 12:33:09

There is a grandparents day in UK. This year it's 9th September (it's always in September). Personally, I don't agree with it, as it's just another attempt to exploit people. Having said that, I love Mothers day - I have a Mother and am a Mother. flowers

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 07-Mar-12 12:35:23

!!!!!

See. I knew it wouldn't take off here! shock

wotsamashedupjingl Mon 19-Mar-12 09:49:07

absentgrana if you're reading this, I think I've solved the mystery of simnel cake being for Easter and Mothers Day! Apparently the girls were allowed to bake it and take it home for their families to keep for Easter. You weren't supposed to eat it on Mothering Sunday. (Oops!)

I suppose they wouldn't have been allowed home actually on Easter Sunday. smile

Daughter told me this (mine of information grin)