Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Access to grandchildren after separation - campaigning figurehead needed!

(35 Posts)
Carol Wed 07-Mar-12 11:29:40

In today's webchat, Joan Bakewell has suggested that grandparents denied access to their children should perhaps have a figurehead to front their campaign, and to keep writing to the people we have already discussed in other threads, but also to members of the House of Lords (definitely Dame Joan, then!). Celebrities like Gloria Honeyford have been suggested in the past. Gransnet has said they will try to get the Children's Minister to come in for a chat. Has anyone any good suggestions for a figure head? What about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls' mum, or Janet Ellis?

Butternut Mon 09-Apr-12 18:24:28

Hi Carol (welcome back) - My first thought upon reading this thread was you!
My second thought was - you.

Carol Mon 09-Apr-12 22:37:12

digikidnan here's the other thread I was referring to smile

Carol Mon 09-Apr-12 22:42:20

Butternut smile I feel so lucky that things have turned around with this contact with grandchildren issue, but it has highlighted for me just how much I yearned to see my grandson when I was not able to, and would never want to go back to those dark days. I see him a couple of times a week now and would want other grandparents to be in this position. The plan to include assessment of grandparents in Parenting Agreements ffollowing separation will go some way to help, but many grandparents never get into that situation when contact is denied.

Maniac Mon 09-Apr-12 23:31:15

Glad you are back Carol.so glad that things have worked out for your Ds and GS.As you say any plan to include assessment of grandparents will not apply to cases like my son's where parents have been divorced for some time.

Maniac Mon 30-Apr-12 11:12:30

On page 11 of May Saga magazine is a full page photo of Vanessa Redgrave.
the caption reads:-
‘Being a Grandmother ,That’s why you were born’
‘Vanessa Redgrave is devoted to her 5 grandchildren.
She is a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.
She’s opening the Brighton Festival by leading the children’s parade.
She says she wants the festival to bring the young together with the old’

Is she a person we could contact as the figurehead for 'Grandchildren's Rights' to have contact with grandparents?

GNHC are you still there on this topic ?

glassortwo Mon 30-Apr-12 11:19:43

maniac this topic does seem to have died a death, think its needs shaken up a little. Could be worth approaching her, what do you think GNHQ?

whenim64 Mon 30-Apr-12 11:25:15

If ever a woman was cut out to be a figurehead, it's the fabulous Vanessa Redgrave. A woman of substance who people listen to. How about it, Geraldine? smile

Maniac Tue 01-May-12 11:31:40

LydiaReid re your recent post do you have any links with Vanessa Redgrave -or any other figurehead person male or female for campaign to speed up contact rights for grandchildren.
This topic does seem to have gone cold but for those of us affected it's still a heartbreaking,constant ache.

dorsetpennt Wed 02-May-12 09:03:28

Years ago my late MIL was denied any visits with the g/children following a son's divorce - out of sheer spite. However, I have heard other reasons to deny access. A friend's children were always plied with questions about their mother and all her faults paraded out in front of the children. This made the visits very upsetting for the children. So access was only allowed with the mother present.