Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

little boys

(35 Posts)
susiecb Mon 30-Jul-12 04:20:54

My nephew a lovely lttle boy used to do it and suck his thumb at the same time when he was sleepy my sister was forever telling him about it - he stopped all on his own at about 6 I think.

Littlenellie Sun 29-Jul-12 17:46:44

My little brother was always doing it,much to mums embarrassment,so she told him if he didn't stop playing with it it would grow as big as a tree trunk...tree trunks then became the code word whenever he assumed a glazed expression and his hand wandered and mum was letting him know it wasn't the time or place...at 55 he still is fond of rearranging his furniture and tree trunks are still laughed about...although he would kill me if he know he was the subject of a post on here....and he never had a dummy or comforter.

glitabo Sun 29-Jul-12 17:40:38

It must be confusing for him when he is told it is not nice, as he obviously thinks it is.
I do not know little boy who does not do this but most generally become more discreet, but at 3 1/2 its part of growing up. Lets face it he is just getting acquainted with his lifelong best friend.
smile

numberplease Sun 29-Jul-12 17:36:02

When littlest grandson was just 3, he really tickled me when he said "it`s getting bigger Grandma"!

kittylester Sun 29-Jul-12 16:39:54

when that made me smile

whenim64 Sun 29-Jul-12 16:37:24

Can you distract him whilst ignoring the behaviour nina? Give him something else to keep his hands occupied? Perhaps that's why so many parents give their children a Nntendo DS to play with hmm

ninathenana Sun 29-Jul-12 16:16:44

when yes he does it indiscriminately smile

Any time any place, clothes or no clothes !

shysal Sun 29-Jul-12 16:09:04

If anyone is watching the current Big Brother, there is a 25 year old 'little boy' who seems to be constantly playing with himself (Conor). Some of them never grow out of it!

whenim64 Sun 29-Jul-12 15:55:31

Just ignore it nina unless he does it in public! He'll grow out of it. It's just one of many irritating habits little boys seem to delight in, such as constantly clearing their throats, grimacing, swinging their legs constantly, blinking every few seconds....and on and on grin

ninathenana Sun 29-Jul-12 15:27:33

DGS is now 3 1/2 and constantly "plays " with himself smile I know this is natural and common.
DD tells him several times a day that it's not nice. I have read that it's best to ignor it all together.
I don't remember having this problem with DS at this age. How have you dealt with this problem.