Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Please help! would you drive an hour to mind your grandchildren?

(80 Posts)
Speldnan Fri 12-Oct-12 17:29:38

I am in a bit of a quandry at the moment as I rashly said I would look after my grandson two days per week when my daughter goes back to work in January. He will be 1 then but has been a bit molly coddled because he was premature and my daughter doesn't want to leave him with anyone other than family.
Anyway I live about 30 miles from my daughter and go up there at least once a week at the moment with a journey of 50 minutes. However, for work, she will need me to get to her house before 8 so she can get the train to work. This will mean leaving the house before 7 to allow for traffic.
Both my partner and my parents think that I shouldn't be doing this and that my daughter should put her son into day care. I want to look after him but am worried about the early start on winter days and also whether I will be able to cope with a toddler for two days a week. If I start doing it and find I can't cope, how will I tell my daughter and her partner that I am going to let them down?
My question to other Gransnetters is this: do any of you do a similar thing to this? if not what do you think of this arrangement? am I crazy to take it on or is it a natural thing to want to do? they intend to pay my expenses plus a bit more.

Muttimama Fri 31-May-13 20:32:45

The comments on this thread are very positive! I'm afraid I have a less positive take on things.
I look after my DGD, 20 months now, 3 days a week, and have to stay with DD and her partner 2 nights as they are 70 miles away. Of course I love our DGD to bits and its lovely sharing her early years like this, but its HARD WORK and while I'm having a peripatetic life there's no freedom to spend with my DH who is running the home ship alone. It feels like time spent apart from him now is too precious sometimes!
My own mother is nearish my DD so I visit her for one of the evenings for a meal (40mile round trip) which kills 2 birds with 1 stone as I normally wouldn't see her as much. She lives independently and is fit and well at 89.
However all this GIVING is pretty wearing! Also I cook a meal for DD's family (and me!) one night, having bought all the food etc, also take pudding to my mother for our meal the next night. I also pay for activities with DGD. I feel guilty that its my DH who is funding all this, and he is on his own at home! He does come with me once in a while, but DD's house is small, there's more catering, and there seems even more to do! And the home ship contains a dog, 2 cats, 4 hens and a demanding veg plot, all too difficult to abandon easily.
Now my DD is talking about settling permanently near her partner's parents (even further away). I just wish she wanted to come nearer to us! A lot nearer!
Is there anyone else out there who sometimes feels equivocal about all this giving? or am I just a selfish so and so!

Speldnan Tue 25-Jun-13 14:15:13

it is relentless Muttimama I do agree! as said previously I look after my GS 2 days per week. While I'm there I clear up the kitchen, sort washing, cook meals occasionally for the little one and even do cleaning. I know my daughter is grateful but she also seems a bit jealous of my relationship with my GS and annoyed with me for being efficient in domestic matters (which she isn't).
I love looking after the little boy but I do also feel, as you do, that there is a lot of giving which seems eventually to be taken for granted.

Nonu Tue 25-Jun-13 14:23:53

I am not in the position a lot of you find yourselves in , but i do feel for you as it can be very tiring looking after toddlers . It is a young womans game basically .

We go to Bournville to see family quite a lot , but the parents are there except when they pop off for a weekend and we have the "nips " to ourselves , which is nice for us and them .

On a weekly basis though , I wonder if it would be the same ?

celebgran Tue 25-Jun-13 15:17:28

Nan ban and maniac how I heartily agree if only !

Before our rift I happily agreed to mind our little granddaughter once week 90 mile round trip and got used to difficult drive at my daughters insistence !