Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Vicious and narcissist Gran

(33 Posts)
annodomini Sun 19-May-13 19:10:41

I have just looked it up on Amazon to confirm that it is actually fiction. The OP makes it sound like a 'true life' work. It has not been reviewed yet which suggests that it has not attracted many readers and I can't help agreeing with Gracesmum that this could be an attempt to drum up trade. Can't say I am attracted to it.

Grannyknot Sun 19-May-13 19:00:24

nellie slightly different situation, but I do remember when I was younger the gossip around our town about a mum who encouraged her adult daughter's affair with a very much married man because (or so the gossip went) that way she could be sure her daughter wouldn't move out and leave her alone. As you say how to screw up your kids ...

Ariadne Sun 19-May-13 18:55:42

I don't undestand why there are two posts on this subject? Having said that, what a difficult situation.

Nelliemoser Sun 19-May-13 18:54:14

I have encountered some really difficult mum/gran situations over the years.
The scenario is often a very young mum living with babies Grandma. It seems that some Grans then take over the care of the baby feeling/suggesting that the babies mum does not do enough or does it all wrong.
I suspect somewhere in this situation a Gran unconsciously feels this is a last chance of having another child for herself, or that the mum still feels she is a child in the house and looks to Gran to look after her an the baby. When the babies mum wants to move out because she can't get a look in with her own child the babies Gran complains mum can't look after her child properly and power struggles ensue. Families are complicated.
Worse seems to be a mum and grandmother both seemingly trying to outdo each other caring for a son/grandson! How to screw up your kids!

Grannyknot Sun 19-May-13 18:54:14

Dear Meg7 - nothing in your post makes me want to read that book! If If nothing else, it sounds way too far fetched. #fail

Marelli Sun 19-May-13 18:52:25

And if it was a novel.....so why get so worked up about it? hmm

gracesmum Sun 19-May-13 18:26:41

Is this a cheeky little advertisement for the book in question?? [cynical] emoticon
If it is such an appalling story, how come you enjoyed it so much, Meg7? hmm Sounds eminently missable to me!

Meg7 Sun 19-May-13 17:09:58

Dear Grans, I am a loving mum and gran, nothing makes me happier that when the little ones come and visit. But I think the reason why it works so well with my daughter is because I let her be independant and she's appreciative and hence by not always asking her to come and visit, she spontaneously comes! I've just read a book called Kiss of Thorns, by Lilliane Rosse (was on amazon kindle) and I never came across such an appauling story. It's about a vicious and narcissistic gran that tries to take her little children away from her daughter, for the only reason that she does not love her son in law. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? What is her own mother tried to do that to her, how would she have felt? I highly recommend the read, i've enjoyed it very much!