Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Step grandparents Royal or otherwise

(30 Posts)
Rosiebee Tue 23-Jul-13 09:13:25

I felt really miffed on Camilla's behalf at her being totally sidelined when it came to talking about the new baby's grandparents. Commentators kept talking about the baby as only having one grandmother. Like C I'm in the position of being a 'substitute grandparent', my dear SSon's mother not being around[ Not dead, just bloody minded] My grandchildren -as I do think of them - have known me from birth as being in that position. I wouldn't dream of offering advice to my D in L as I've never had children of my own, but I love them to bits and do everything I would hope a g'parent would do. Camilla has had her own children and grandchildren I'm sure she'll be another loving adult in the baby's eyes. Please don't let us go harking back to Diana and what a wonderful G'parent she would have been.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Jul-13 17:30:16

He was sent away on naval duties and she was married off before he came back to a compliant sap.

I suppose it's how it was back then. She wasn't deemed to be acceptable as a future queen.

Nonu Wed 24-Jul-13 17:34:32

I think you can get married whilst in the Royal Navy !
The point about her not being "suitable " is probably valid .

merlotgran Wed 24-Jul-13 17:50:56

They needed the compliant sap out of the way as well because Princess Anne fancied him and being a Roman Catholic he was unsuitable.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Jul-13 18:07:52

I know you can get married in the Royal Navy...they sent him away to get him away from Camilla.