Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

im too old fashioned

(40 Posts)
cactus60 Wed 11-Dec-13 19:01:56

I have a lovely almost 1 year old granddaughter and I was invited to her party, however the other gran is having one too which I was not invited to as it was for her family, my daughter has now cancelled our party and said she just wants to come to see me and have a cuppa. I am gutted I really wanted to see the little ones first party. On talking about it my daughter revealed that she is scared of causing an argument because Im old, old fashioned and don't drink alcohol. the other gran is only a few years younger but she dresses like a teenager, lots of make up, high boots, lots of studs and sparkles, she also boasts that she drinks lots of alcohol and gets drunk frequently. I think that for a baby party she should abstain from drink in front of the child until she has gone home.
I have no problem with people who like alcohol but it seems they have one with me, I don't know how to change now and don't want to, I live very quietly but I don't want to be scorned by my family what can I do

Ana Fri 13-Dec-13 21:43:51

Definitely never meant to be complimentary! The nearest current day equivalent is probably 'chavvy'.

Nonu Fri 13-Dec-13 21:49:02

ANA BIG tchwink

absent Fri 13-Dec-13 22:38:13

A complete stranger described by another complete stranger is hardly grounds for such nasty personal insults. I hope the grandparent who is the target of these high minded and holier-than-thou attitudes isn't a member of Gransnet.

Ana Fri 13-Dec-13 22:49:08

I, for one, wasn't referring to the grandparent in the OP. Get off your high horse, absent.

janeainsworth Fri 13-Dec-13 23:06:16

Absent It was a comment on this description in the OP:
" she dresses like a teenager, lots of make up, high boots, lots of studs and sparkles, she also boasts that she drinks lots of alcohol and gets drunk frequently"

The comment was that this sounded common - that's hardly a nasty personal insult, merely an observation on what the OP had written.

Ceesnan Sat 14-Dec-13 07:15:31

Now who's being holier-than-thou Absent? Stop trying to cause ructions sad

gettingonabit Sat 14-Dec-13 08:07:27

I think your daughter should have invited you too. However you will have plenty of opportunity to spend time with your gd in the manner you like.

I can't see why parties for tiny children are necessary. If parties are not your thing, then there are plenty of things you can do which suit you better.

You are not old-fashioned!

MargaretX Sat 14-Dec-13 22:59:04

Well if this woman, who likes getting drunk, dressed in high boots and sparkles and, I assume an older face than what you'd expect with that decription - well if that is not common then I don't know what is.
I think the idea of party for a one year old with booze flowing is not my idea of a good celebration.

DD1 sat in her high chair eating a cream cracker and DD2 had her first go at eating her semolina pudding with a spoon all by herself, with her new plate and spoon. What innocent days those were and really lovely to remember.
They were birthday parties for CHILDREN.

petra Tue 17-Dec-13 11:29:31

Everyone is assuming that the ' younger' Nana is going to get blathered at the DGD party. You don't know this to be a fact. Your assuming this because, good lord, she wears high heel boots and has studs.

Nonu Tue 17-Dec-13 11:34:58

Petra , tchgrin

Tegan Tue 17-Dec-13 12:38:46

cactus; she wants to come and see you and have a cuppa because she wants to be with you without being coerced into it. Parties are for the parents to arrange, not the grandparents. I think the other grandmother is totally out of order and is doing it for herself, not the child [who'll probably sleep through it anyway]. Maybe it's a good thing that her grandmas are so different.

rosesarered Sat 18-Jan-14 11:47:16

I suspect your daughter has a hard time with this other Grandma , cactus and worries about it would spoil the day for her.However, you are her Mother and really should be there.What happens to all the other parties in the years to come?Speaking personally, I don't like children's parties, perhaps when your DGD is a bit older she should be asked who she would like at her party, and maybe will say cactus grandma and NOT sparkleboots Grandma, who knows? Or maybe this 1st party will be the only one with relatives, and next year and other years will just be for children only [much better!]Try not to be sad about it, because ;
{a.} your DGD is only 1 year old at the moment and {b} you may hate the party anyway. flowers However I do understand your annoyance, and hurt.

Vesper Fri 14-Mar-14 17:11:34

I suggest reading the wonderful Katie Morag & the Two Grandmothers by Mairi Hedderwick

BlueBelle Fri 14-Mar-14 20:46:19

I m totally with FlickityB on this one
I totally agree there shouldn't be alcohol at a one year olds party or a 2,3,4,5......... but that should be your daughter decision not either grandma's she shouldn't have two parties she should accommodate you both at the one,- by having two she is pandering to 'common gran'

Don't change Cactus you stay the proper granny and let old sparkly pants get on with getting drunk preferable not at the party