Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

how often do you see your grandchildren?

(33 Posts)
shazzy69 Fri 31-Jan-14 03:05:04

I posted on here recently about my feelings for dil and thanks to all the good advice was helped enormously. I am new to being a grandmother as my dgd is only 7 months old and I find myself feeling guilty that we only see her every few months (which seems a long time when she is only months old). My son works away from home for four weeks then has a week at home and they live a two hour drive from us. My dil sends texts and photos of dgd usually every week and we stay in touch that way. MY son doesn't very often contact us but will usually answer texts although sometimes two days later. They are quite private people and keep themselves to themselves and as he is only home for one week I can quite understand they don't really need visitors especially as dh will only visit if we stay the night as he feels its too far for a couple of hours. If we invite ourselves they are quite welcoming but I don't want to intrude. On the otherhand I don't want them to think we are not interested in their lives especially dgd's. I have a good relationship with ds but he is not much of a communicator and doesn't really like talking on the phone and if I'm honest neither do I. Much rather talk in person. Is it ok to just see them when they initiate it? Any advice?

FlicketyB Mon 03-Feb-14 09:01:00

We live 200 miles from our DGC. We see then on average every six weeks. They spent a 5 days with us at Christmas and I am going up for half-term. However we do sit down and plan visits together, the next visit being planned as the previous one ends, because, as both DS & DDiL have outside interests as well as work, and both sometimes work weekends, plus we also have activities that restrict our availability, we find getting everything in the diary well in advance means we do all see each other regularly. There is more to our family than just GC, we enjoy both our son and DDiL's company and like seeing them.

We also have the problem that DS is not good at ringing or talking on the phone, but I think that is, generally, a man thing. As DDiL works part time I quite often ring her on her no-working days and have a good natter. We also email DS regularly, just in a chit chat way, not just when we need to communicate.

I think keeping in touch is something that has to be worked at. I grew up in a forces family. We were always on the move so family visits were planned and organised as both my parents were close to their families. We too did not live near Grandparents and DH travelled abroad a lot, so again visiting used to be planned. It is just automatic that we act in a similar fashion with our DS and family.

janerowena Mon 03-Feb-14 10:16:00

Yes, please do invite them. My DS is 18 now and I clearly remember being desperate for an invitation to my mother's - which never came - and to MiL's, which did on a frequent basis. She was my only true form of holiday, with a young child. It gave me a break from cooking and cleaning that self-catering holidays never did.

As for the driving - with a young child it can be dreadful, so your son really wouldn't want to do your drive without a stay. Nappies need changing, feeds given, teething and crying, you wouldn't want to do it twice particularly after sleepless nights. My daughter and her OH come up to stay with us because I remember how grateful I was to my MIL for my breaks, so I now do it for her. My mother is not at all maternal and wouldn't even look after my son for an hour on her own when I called in one day to see her, and wanted to pop to the shops while he was asleep! I never asked again.

shazzy69 Mon 03-Feb-14 15:23:35

I did finally get to talk to ds and he admitted hiding his mobile when he's home hmm
but they are going to drop in and visit on the way home from the airport in future as its not much of a detour. They can stay as long or short as they want, I'm very happy with that and dil is staying with her mum next week which is only half an hour from us so we are arranging to catch up then too. I agree flicketyb keeping in touch needs to be worked at as its very easy to let things slide and the longer it goes the harder it gets. I'll keep smiling papaoscar smile

D0LLIE Mon 03-Feb-14 15:44:09

Not as much as id like ....both are now adults and are always too busy...what i do find odd is they seem to think they have to be invited to call in to see me..i keep telling them they dont have to ask they are welcome any time...

When ever i use to visit my grandparents i never waited to be asked i regularly visited them unannounced ....just wondered why my grandkids arent the same...do you have to ask for a visit from your grandchildren?

FlicketyB Mon 03-Feb-14 16:42:29

If that's what they wanted I would.

broomsticks Wed 05-Feb-14 11:14:26

We are in about the same situation as FlicketyB about 4 to 5 hours drive away from our grandchildren. I suppose we see them about every 6 weeks.
As the children get older grandparents can be useful babysitting. (I've just been down there for the weekend while son and dil went to a wedding). It's always difficult to get the balance right, not too intrusive but interested and available to help. I should think almost everyone feels the same.

annodomini Wed 05-Feb-14 12:00:16

I am looking forward to the day when they're big enough to travel by train to see me. I think senior GD might bring younger one with her sometime when she comes north to see mates. The things that get in the way are all those weekend activities - Friday night skiing (no kidding), Scouts; Sunday night swimming.