Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

House Ghost?

(61 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 12-Apr-14 08:48:21

When my eldest GD was around 3 she pointed to the hall and said 'who's that?' I couldn't see anyone so I asked her to describe what she saw and she said 'big man' and a few moments later she said 'gone'. She wasn't bothered and I didn't take much notice.

Then a couple of years later when I was looking after DS's 3 year old (eldest GD's cousin on her own) she pointed to the stairs and said 'who's that man?' I just said that I couldn't see him and left it at that.

It's now 2 years further down the line and my youngest GS who is 18 months pointed to the hall and WAVED! He couldn't tell me what he saw but he did see something because his actions were very specific.

When we moved in to this house 20 odd years ago my DD and I heard laughter and I regularly hear footsteps going up and down the stairs but strangely I don't feel scared.

Do you think children can see things we can't? My GC seemed to take their experiences in their stride and weren't frightened at all.

Aka Sat 12-Apr-14 09:02:28

I shouldn't believe in anything like this as it goes against my training and beliefs (or lack of them) but I have experienced certain things I cannot logically explain. In particular there was one house I lived in as a child when I had horrible feelings of evil in the attics, one room in particular. More recently I have experience toys turning themselves on when I have been alone in the house.

Grannyknot Sat 12-Apr-14 09:50:24

Aka my friend's husband passed away unexpectedly some years ago, she is a home baker/caterer and he had bought her a new food processor for her birthday not long before he died. Some months later, at 5 a.m., the household was woken by the food processor coming on. It was just her and her adult daughter in the house and both of them found it inexplicable and are slightly embarrassed to recount the story. So no reason for them to have made it up.

POGS Sat 12-Apr-14 15:42:41

golden girl

Years ago I worked for a company who rented out a cottage at Studland Bay to staff.

One night I was sitting with my mother and daughter in a 'snug' room and the empty plate on my lap literally 'flipped' up in the air. About an hour later my daughter, who was very young started to wave at the corner cupboard high on a wall by the staircase. I said "What are you doing darling", "She said, waving at the lady mummy". She then said she had just gone up the stairs.

The stairs led to the bedroom where we were sleeping, with our daughter. That night there was a foul smell in the bedroom and we thought it must have been a dead animal in the thatch. The next night my daughter said she had seen the lady again, who smiled at her. I refused to stay in that room and we exchanged bedrooms with my parents, who never had a problem and the lady never came back.

Bonkers, yes but when it happens to you it is very spooky. You have to experience it to not find it a load of nonsense.

goldengirl Sat 12-Apr-14 17:22:38

I'm relieved I'm not alone. DH is very sceptical. It is strange that children can see things that we can't. I've never seen anything but as I said earlier I have heard footsteps which DH suggested might be the radiators or perhaps even the cats!!! confused

Nonnie Sat 12-Apr-14 17:26:52

I suspect there are a lot of things we cannot access as we get older which will one day be 'discovered' and we will be taught how to use them. I used to get quite a lot of unexplainable precognition but not for many years now.

ninathenana Sat 12-Apr-14 17:48:24

A friend's aunt (mum's sister) does readings for friends and family. My friend is convinced her abilities have been passed on to her great niece (friend's grandchild)
After my friend's DH passed away my friend heard her DGD talking in the garden. 'Who are you talking to darling'. 'Grandad' came the reply. She was about 5 at the time.
Don't know if this one is true but I remember my mum telling me years ago that her mum was laying in bed one night when she hear footsteps on the stairs. The first step after the half landing creaked and she waited for her merchant seaman husband, mum's father to appear (he had been at sea for 10wks) but he never did. She received the telegram the next morning.

Flowerofthewest Sat 12-Apr-14 19:35:14

My youngest son was two and a half and was playing and chatting to no-one at the far end of the lounge. DH said to him that it would soon be bed time. He looked up and said 'But grandad cant come cos he too big and Jody mustn't to' When DH picked him up to take him to bed he looked over DH's shoulder and said ' Night night Gandad, night night Jody'

My father had died over a year before he was born and our dog, Jody, had ran away two years before. He never knew either.

This and the little black boy who came to me whenever I was unwell and my children experienced the same thing when they were very ill leaves me in two minds as to whether there 'is anything beyond'.

HollyDaze Sat 12-Apr-14 20:13:39

My son was adamant that a man used to come and visit him at bedtime and he called him 'Mr Gaga' and I would often hear him chatting away - not sure if he really saw anyone or if it was just a make-believe game. However, I have seen a ghost and had another spooky experience! So I would never say never.

Gagagran Sat 12-Apr-14 20:53:56

So THAT's where DH got to!

TAB12 Sat 12-Apr-14 21:13:23

goldengirl that gave me goosebumps. YES defently children can see things that we adults can not. Had a similar thing happen when I was a child, my brother would see this man but it was not a pleasant affair as it was in your house, it was very scarey and my brother did not speak for a whole year after he saw the man, it was horrible. Its great that you do not feel scared and you say you hear laughter thats good too, I think there are good spirits and bad ones, you obviously have a good spiritsmile

Gally Sat 12-Apr-14 21:29:10

I have never believed in any of this mumbo jumbo and have never felt any unease or spooky feelings - until I stayed with my DD's in-laws for Christmas 15 months ago in their newly acquired farmhouse. I shared a small room with our mutual DGD and woke suddenly, feeling something horrible creeping over my face. I remember sitting bolt upright and pushing whatever it was off, and telling 'it' to go away and feeling exceedingly uncomfortable - almost scared. DGD had a terrible nightmare and was removed to her parents room in the middle of the night. I left early the next morning and my SiL moved that night into my bed to be with his daughter. I didn't shared my experience with anyone until later when DD told me that Dan too had felt very unsettled and spooked. The house dates, in parts, back to medieval times and is being drastically renovated. The room was used as a sewing room by the previous, deceased occupants but other than that there is no known history of the property. Such was the effect it had on me, I have decided that I will never sleep there again shock. I am sure that some spirit from way back in history is not happy with what is going on.............

rosesarered Sat 12-Apr-14 21:36:47

Although most noises in the house are a result of wood expanding and contracting due to heat/cold etc[which explains creaky stairs and so on]that doesn't explain 'sightings' does it?There are lots of accounts of children seeing people, when adults can't, but hard to explain why that should be?I would not write off all accounts as being either lies/mistakes/confusion [though some, obviously] there is a lot that we don't know still.However, I can't think that anyone would 'come back' and then turn on a food processor, that could well be dodgy electrics.Interestingly there does seem to be a lot of paranormal activity around electrics, so it makes me think it's the elctricity itself recreating scenes[think of how a camera works.]Does every sound made and every sight get recorded in the atmosphere? Could be that physics and geology play a big part in this.
Feelings are something else though; I have had bad feelings about certain rooms/houses in the past, perhaps we are all more sensitive to our surroundings than we think.

rosesarered Sat 12-Apr-14 21:39:58

Gally I posted and then saw and read your post...... you say the room was being drastically renovated, does this include the electrics?

shysal Sat 12-Apr-14 21:57:39

One evening, whilst watching Uri Geller do his fork bending act on TV, the hour hand of my watch bent double under the glass. I can think of no way that could have happened! I am a natural sceptic, but have to accept that there are some things which cannot be logically explained.
I have goose bumps on reading the above posts.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 12-Apr-14 22:05:49

Oh yes! Uri Geller! We were watching him and my DD (about twelve at the time) tried the spoon bending thing. With the spoon, nothing happened. BUT, the next time she used her bike and took out her bicycle lock key, it had bent right over! There was no way she could have done that! (Apart from the paranormal shock)

numberplease Sat 12-Apr-14 23:08:55

I`ve always said that I don`t believe in ghosts, that was until I had a very un-nerving experience about 35 years ago. I may have told this tale before, if so, I apologise for repeating it.
One night, as hubby and I were going to bed, we found that the light bulb in our bedroom had "gone", so we got undressed by the light from the landing. He got into bed first, leaving Muggins to walk across the landing to switch off the light. As I got back to the open bedroom door, I could see hubby in bed, but something, I don`t know what, stopped me going through the doorway, it was like an invisible barrier, and for about 30 seconds I couldn`t get into the bedroom, hubby said "Are you coming to bed, or not?" Then all of a sudden the "barrier" was gone, and I fairly flew into that bed! It had never happened before, and didn`t happen again, but it scared me summat rotten. My MIL used to attend the school over the other side of the street, and said that our houses were built on the site of a former sand pit, and when she was about 5, a little boy fell in there and suffocated to death, she said she was sure it was connected to my experience.

Deedaa Sat 12-Apr-14 23:10:20

We always thought the theatre I worked in in Cornwall was haunted because the beer taps in the cellar were always being mysteriously turned off at inconvenient moments. No one ever saw anything, but a friend took some photos at a dance there and a strange white shape appeared among the dancers in one shot. The chap who processed the film couldn't explain it at all.

penguinpaperback Sat 12-Apr-14 23:32:30

I don't have a faith and don't believe in an afterlife and yet I have seen a ghost, in my house, in broad daylight and when DD was a toddler an imaginary friend as we thought at the time, used to smile a goodnight to her apparently, we genuinely thought it was a little quirk of hers. She called him Daddy David. confused Now grown up, daughter is quite unsettled by the whole thing, she could describe him so well.
Some things are just unexplained. In my mid 30's I worked in an old Victorian shop with a handful of other ladies. The shops were part of an old Victorian Arcade, they were literally one door in and out and on 2 levels, like a small parlour size room with a noisy wrought iron staircase in between. One quiet afternoon myself and one other lady were chatting away a very quiet afternoon when a small elderly lady walked in and asked if she could look upstairs. Our only customer I let her literally pass us both at the bottom of the spiral staircase and then followed her up. She had vanished, just gone. The lady working with me completely flipped, wouldn't talk about it at all. There was nowhere she could have gone. Most strange.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Apr-14 00:26:20

I may have told this story - forgive me if I have - It relates to the little black boy mentioned in my post above. I used to see him when I was small and was unwell. I would see him running down a long road away from me (the next day I was usually feeling better)

I had forgotten about this until my eldest son, then aged about 3, was suffering from tonsilitus He was running a high temperature and kept saying to me to tell the little boy to stop bouncing on his bed.

A few years later my eldest daughter,7, was in hospital with meningitis - I was breast feeding her baby sister at the time so couldn't stay overnight. On the fourth day when I arrived in her room her nurse said that she had been delirious in the night and insisted that a little black boy was jumping on her bed. (I did feel chills then)

About 25 years ago I went with a friend to a Psychic Fair where a woman was giving random readings to a crowd of people. I stood listening and she was talking about Spirit Guides. She looked at me and said 'Your Spirit Guide is a small African boy who's dream was to be a doctor but he died before he could realise his dream" I still get goose bumps when I think about this.

I had never spoken to my children about the boy and my daughter still remembers him on her bed. Very strange, but somehow comforting.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Apr-14 00:34:17

My youngest daughter had a premonition about the collapse of a balcony in a London theatre in the 80s. A rock band was playing at the time, can't remember who it was though. She had told me about it an wasn't it terrible. I didn't know what she meant but the next day, sure enough, a balcony collapsed in a London theatre as she had described. She still remembers how she felt and she felt terrified, shaking and sobbing and hoping she never had another one. So far she hasn't.

harrigran Sun 13-Apr-14 00:45:37

My friend ,whose son died a year ago, has battery operated candles in her lounge and sometimes comes downstairs to find them lit. Problem is she is on her own when it happens. she asked me what I thought and I think it is probably electrical interference maybe from a mobile or TV remote.

petallus Sun 13-Apr-14 04:27:42

What a thread to be reading at 4.30 in the morning!

When I go back to sleep I'm leaving the light on.

tiggypiro Sun 13-Apr-14 07:36:39

Not quite a ghost I think but spooky all the same.
Some years ago I was an examiner for course work studies. The schools sent me the work and as I received it I opened it up and checked the contents and then put it in a pile. One school enclosed a note to say that one pupil had not handed hers in in time and it would be sent later. A day or two later it arrived with another note to say who it was from. I placed the script in it's place with the others from the same school. (I remember it was 3rd from the top). I finished the scripts from one school and went down for a coffee. On my return I started the scripts from the school in question, got to the third one and it was not there. I was in the house alone and searched high and low. My neighbour came in to help but it had gone and was never seen again. I then had to explain to the exam board ! I could have taken the easy way out and say I had never received it but had I done that the poor girl would have failed the exam and I had the two notes. I am still not sure that my explanation about ''ghoolies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night'' was believed but I had no other explanation at all.

Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 08:42:58

DH and I took our caravan for a weekend in Fife, intending to stay at a 5-van site near the ruins of Newark Castle (5-van site = small area with minimal facilities owned by local landowner and listed in caravan Club handbook)

We settled into a nice peaceful grassy field out of sight of habitation, only facilities a cold tap, with a close view of the castle and the Forth beyond. Beside us was a path down the cliff, with a blocked doorway which must have led into a passage immediately below us.

That night I was woken by the strongest sensation of illwill towards me. Someone/something resented our presence there and wanted us to leave. Next morning DH suggested we move to a different site. When I asked why, it turned out he had felt the same force.

Neither of us was given to morbid fantasies about melodramatic events in lonely castles, so it was not imagination. That passageway beneath us must have witnessed something which would not stand scrutiny.

PS We were parked in the little field in the foreground of picture 3