Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Please may I have a rant about shoes?

(45 Posts)
Stansgran Thu 24-Jul-14 22:08:57

My DGCs have been with us three weeks. We are taking them back to their other grandparents next week and they are spending two weeks with them on a beach holiday. They arrived with trainers . One had a pair of flip flops(too small) the other flat black shoes I had bought her last august from M&S . I know she was bought winter boots in December. I know it will be mainly bare feet on the beach and I know the other grandparents do not buy them clothes so I thought I would buy flip flops for each child. This is on top of two dresses ,one skirt ,pyjamas, t shirt and a dozen socks and pants and new jeans which I either had already bought or have had to buy. Cue an email from SIL . " I've ordered a pair of shoes to go to your house. Can you bring them with you when you bring the children? "He sent a copy of the order saying the shoes would fit as he already had the same pair in a different colour. The order showed that the shoes were just under £100 with next day postage. It's not that I object to him spending that much money on himself but that he can do it when his children look like raggle taggle gypsies . I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

whenim64 Thu 24-Jul-14 22:40:16

Is that £100 for one pair of shoes, Stansgran? You could buy an outfit and a decent pair of shoes and still have lots left over for that price!

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 22:45:14

Bloody outrageous, although I probably shouldn't say so.

ninathenana Thu 24-Jul-14 22:49:17

Take the receipts for all that you've bought and ask him for some of the money. No wonder he can pay that for himself when your clothing his children !!

janerowena Thu 24-Jul-14 23:30:14

My father was just the same. He said he had to look good for work. My mother said that just one of his Italian silk ties would feed us all for a month.

FlicketyB Fri 25-Jul-14 09:19:12

Where does your DD come into the equation? Surely she plays some part in clothing the children.

Mishap Fri 25-Jul-14 09:30:42

Shoe price outrageous - what a waste of money.

But your purchases for the children are gifts freely given - and good for you.

I never buy clothes for the GC except as requested for a birthday present) as they all seem to have been really lucky and produced their children after their friends and have been bequeathed great bags of clothing. They have hardly bought a thing!

thatbags Fri 25-Jul-14 09:32:44

It wouldn't bother me if my grandkids looked raggle-taggley, especially on hot summer days. You say they arrived with trainers. If the children are hapoy wearing trainers, why do they need anything else? You don't even need to wear socks with trainers if you don't want to.

But perhaps it is cold where you are, stansgran?

Besides which, I'm not keen on flip-flops for kids. Bit too trippy-uppy in my experience.

thatbags Fri 25-Jul-14 09:32:58

happy

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 09:40:21

My grandsons are always very proud of their trainers, and seem quite happy wearing them. I don't they'll be wearing anything else for the next two weeks.

Adults' shoes usually have to last a long time, and be smart and comfortable.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 09:40:57

Few weeks! Not two!

glammanana Fri 25-Jul-14 11:22:48

I would be outraged to be honest,for that price the little ones could be kitted out for the summer twice over and get change,I appreciate that shoes have be good quality for work etc but £100.00 is very OTP in my opinion.I know we all buy our DGCs bits and bobs when they stay and they get extra's from us that maybe they would not get at home but they should still arrive with the basic's.

glammanana Fri 25-Jul-14 11:23:42

should read OTT not OTP ^^ hmm

Stansgran Fri 25-Jul-14 12:37:18

They weren't work shoes. One pair. The little girl wants to wear a dress most days. Trainers don't look right. I hate flip flops ,I quite agree too trippy but fr the beach they are ok. They are in shorts and bare feet in the garden. Trainers are sweaty in this weather without socks. IMO. My daughter is the breadwinner and is rarely there. Glamma I totally agree .they should arrive with basics.

Tegan Fri 25-Jul-14 12:46:02

I don't think £100 is excessive for a good pair of shoes. However, without going into a rant about SIL's and money[if I start you'll never shut me up] can I say that I understand totally why you feel aggrieved Stansgran, especially [as we all know] none of us dare say anything when such incidents occur sad.

Stansgran Fri 25-Jul-14 12:56:16

Had to deal with something. I was going to say One pair of trainers is too small and I haven't looked at the others. Nina I wouldn't expect anything from them as I don't see the children and will happily buy stuff but don't want to buy items that the parents would not approve of( I read Mumsnet and see the mums who complain about the stuff bought for the children which they don't like to see them wearing. Ie frilly dresses on a tomboy so I stick to invisibles like socks and pants and pjs all with the aim of making my life easier with the washing.) I'm delighted when they come in from the garden like grubby sticky urchins as it means they have had a good time.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 14:31:14

Not good if the trainers are too small. You are gonna have to dig deep Stansgran. sad Any chance you could drop some hints to the other lot?

rosesarered Fri 25-Jul-14 14:38:43

It's not on is it? Parents spending money on themselves, but not bothering to check their childrens footwear. perhaps you could buy cheap pairs of sandals rather than flip flops.Clarkes sandals cost a fortune, but lots of places sell cheap versions and they look good with a dress.I think you are right to feel annoyed with your SIL [especially as he is not the bread winner!]

thatbags Fri 25-Jul-14 14:47:31

Jellys are quite cheap and would be good for beach wear, with or without socks. Fine with a dress too on a little girl.

Stansgran Fri 25-Jul-14 15:04:58

I'm worried that actually buying stuff will seem a criticism . (I lurk on Mumsnet as I've said) hadn't thought of jellies . Trainers are cheap at our local Brentano. I've done that before. Just too hot to shop again. Don't mind digging deep jingle . Better spent on them now than an operation on bunions in thirty years. Thanks for supporting the rant. I'm going to sit on the swing and look at butterflies and feel calmer.

Tegan Fri 25-Jul-14 15:34:34

Swing shock! I sat on a swing at the playground yesterday and my grandson said 'granny, you can't sit on that, you'll break it'. Don'tyoujustluvem...

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 15:40:13

I hope our thunderstorm doesn't reach you yet then. sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 15:42:01

Oh no! I put the two little lines either side to cross out that emoti. Didn't work. sadhmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 15:42:58

(cos we've got rain now) ( not wishing it on you)

merlotgran Fri 25-Jul-14 15:49:44

My two youngest grandchildren live in Crocs during the summer. The older ones wouldn't be seen dead in them grin