Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Concern over grandparents

(35 Posts)
PeacefulSolution Fri 31-Oct-14 14:10:29

My son is 6 and his father and I split up when he was 3. We now live an hour's flight away from him, and he in turn lives a good distance away from his mum (Nanny) and her partner.

Nanny has been keen to have our son stay overnight with them for a number of years, but we always felt he was too young. We finally agreed to allow him to have a sleepover over this half-term school holiday (for 3 nights), although Nanny & her partner travelled to near us and rented a holiday house for the period as they live a few hundred miles away from both my ex and me, and we wanted to ensure they were not too far away from me in case our son got homesick, etc.

So this was the first time Nanny had responsibility for our son for full days and nights!

Our son had great fun with them - really enjoyed himself! However when I left him up to the holiday house, I noticed there were 6-7 bottles of wine in the kitchen - they were here for 4 nights in total (3 of which our son was with them). I did feel uncomfortable (and anxious), so called up unannounced the following night when I knew our son would be asleep (to check things and put my mind at rest) with some slippers and dressing gown. Nanny was drunk - slurring, swaying and glazed eyes - at 9pm. There were 3 empty wine bottles and a couple of half drunk ones in the fridge.

Nanny's partner appeared ok - had been drinking but was more coherent. If he was not, I would have taken our son home with me!

I have phoned ex and told him what happened - that I'm disappointed that she's been drunk (potentially every night) when looking after our son and that I will not be agreeing to our son staying with them at their house on his own for quite some time. I have no issue with anyone having a couple of glasses of wine with dinner or something, but do draw the line at being drunk while being responsible for a child. What if he had to go to hospital for whatever reason, or there was a fire - could she guarantee she could get him to safety?

My ex initially agreed but has subsequently started saying that she's older (65 years old) and was probably tired. But that doesn't explain the amount of alcohol they had in the house, and we all know they drink every night and have seen Nanny in this state many times - no one (my ex or her partner) want to broach the subject with her!

Am I being too harsh or am I justified in not agreeing to sleepovers at their house?

rosesarered Fri 07-Nov-14 21:02:22

When I have any of the DGC here, I never touch a drop of alchohol, not even a glass of wine.It's not hard for me, as I don't drink much anyway, but I want to be in full control of any situation that may arise [and also be able to drive.]I have to say your in-laws don't sound like great people anyway [the sarcasm thing] so probably it's better to have fairly minimal contact.As they live a long way away, that should be do-able.If they have to come for a few days, have them stay with you, then you can control things.

FarNorth Fri 07-Nov-14 22:10:12

You've said to us that you were not happy with the situation. Just say the same to them and if they want to think you are over-fussy, let them think that.
The important thing is the safety of your son.

PeacefulSolution Sun 16-Nov-14 09:31:15

Just a quick update for you all. My ex has mentioned to his mum's partner (not too his mum directly/ about the alcohol consumption during their visit, as well as his mum's drunken state. As expected, her partner has jumped to her defence saying she was tired. Also said he was not drinking at all as he knew responsibility of looking after our son was great. This was apparently followed by a text to my ex a few days later staying his mum's partner only drank low alcohol beer when in charge of our son. So was he drinking or not? I did see 2 empty wine glasses on the table during my unannounced visit! And why, if they weren't both drinking, was there so much wine bought?

My ex is staying with us this weekend so we have had the opportunity to talk properly once our son is asleep. He has said his mum can drink 2 bottles a night herself! Anyway, he has told his mum's partner that this is going to have an impact on any future decisions we make re our son staying with them. So at least they know now and we'll wait to see what happens. He also questions their influence on our son and believes a lot that is said to our son/in his presence is inappropriate... not a nice position for him to be in, but one that has to be dealt with as I'm sure it will come up again and again as his baby with his new partner grows up too!

PeacefulSolution Sun 16-Nov-14 09:35:55

Just a quick update for you all. My ex has mentioned to his mum's partner (not too his mum directly/ about the alcohol consumption during their visit, as well as his mum's drunken state. As expected, her partner has jumped to her defence saying she was tired. Also said he was not drinking at all as he knew responsibility of looking after our son was great. This was apparently followed by a text to my ex a few days later staying his mum's partner only drank low alcohol beer when in charge of our son. So was he drinking or not? I did see 2 empty wine glasses on the table during my unannounced visit! And why, if they weren't both drinking, was there so much wine bought?

My ex is staying with us this weekend so we have had the opportunity to talk properly once our son is asleep. He has said his mum can drink 2 bottles a night herself! Anyway, he has told his mum's partner that this is going to have an impact on any future decisions we make re our son staying with them. So at least they know now and we'll wait to see what happens. He also questions their influence on our son and believes a lot that is said to our son/in his presence is inappropriate... not a nice position for him to be in, but one that has to be dealt with as I'm sure it will come up again and again as his baby with his new partner grows up too!

PeacefulSolution Sun 16-Nov-14 09:37:06

Apologies, bad internet connection posted the above twice!

Jane10 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:46:41

Sounds like a sensible discussion with your ex. At least the issue is raised and there is awareness and agreement. Best wishes for the future.

Lona Sun 16-Nov-14 13:05:13

Peaceful Can I just say how nice it is to hear that you have such a good relationship with your ex.
So much better for any children involved.
Well done to you both flowers

harrigran Sun 16-Nov-14 13:13:04

I can understand your concern. I very rarely drink, but when I am looking after GC I don't touch a drop.

nannynoo Fri 21-Nov-14 02:45:26

Denial is not just a river in Egypt ;-)

Drinking excessively and denial / protection seem to go hand in hand , but it is not the adults who need protecting , it is the children

2 bottles of wine in one night is excessive