Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New to all this and emotional wreck

(32 Posts)
trisher Thu 09-Jul-15 17:48:48

Congratulations joscurry you have done so well, both as a mum and a gran. It's a big step and a complete change no wonder you feel emotional. I also think today's young mums seem to be so organised (were we ever like that?) it's sometimes difficult to know where a gran fits in. It isn't the same as it was but it is still a wonderful time of your life and you have a perfect right to laugh, cry, scream your head off or do whatever you feel like.

downtoearth Thu 09-Jul-15 17:21:18

joscurry I remember that feeling very well my daughter unmarried and 18 in a difficult relationship with babies father ,my daughter suffered from epilepsy so pregnancy meant I was on high alert all the time as she lived at home..I was happy that all went well I cared for my daughter to enable her to care for hers so....why did I go to pieces ...end of an era,no longer a child but woman ..The moment it really hit me was when they referred to mum as they handed me the baby and I realised in stead of being a main player I had been relegated to the supporters bench......it passes..and several friends have also been wobbly after daughters children arrive for a while .....congratulations on your first grandchildflowers

joscurry Thu 09-Jul-15 16:38:18

Thank you. No future visit planned, they will return home on Saturday. I just said that I will take my cue by them... And will stay at nearby b&b. They have tiny house, no room at the inn... I just want to support them and help where I can.... It's just weird, this feeling. Like I don't know my role and would like a script...lol.... They are doing so well, and a good friend complimented me because I must have contributed to my daughters mothering skills.... I suppose that I'm old enough to remember the mothers mum being part of the settling days.... My daughter doesn't need that.... Early days, I know.... Just need to sort out my own hormones, as you say.

Stansgran Thu 09-Jul-15 16:38:03

Aah my daughter's daughter. So very special. I remember carrying the first grandchild to the window of the hospital in New York to look at her (and hide my tears) and thinking the whole world is out there and it's all yours. Very soppy.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jul-15 16:34:09

I always howled wept when they went home. Not anymore though. (Raucous 9 and 13 year olds) hmm smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jul-15 16:28:30

I swear the grandmother's hormones go a bit funny when she is around a first grandchild. It will all settle down soon.

When is your next baby viewing timed for? smile

Congrats btw. smile

joscurry Thu 09-Jul-15 16:24:18

My daughter gave birth to a little girl last Thursday and I became a grandmother for the first time. She and her husband live on farm in a tied cottage (about 5 hour drive) and decided that they would do the visiting and my daughter is a very fair minded person and is allotting us all a span of time.... I've just come to the end of my time and they have now moved on to the other family members. The next visit is to her father, I left him about 8 years ago and have happy new life in another marriage.....

So, I am all over the place, emotions running rampant... I have managed to get through visit and kept 'me' out of it. She's an amazing mummy and this is her dream come true; a baby of her own to love.... And I feel no need to advise her.... It's not that....

I'm quite overwhelmed with emotion I don't understand....

And don't know quite what's going on?