Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son's worries

(32 Posts)
LesleyC Sat 12-Dec-15 23:26:13

My son and his lovely wife had their first child 3 weeks ago at the age of 40. They were so happy about this although the birth ended up being an emergency Caesarean. He has looked after him so well, as my DiL is obviously limited in what she can physically do. We all get on well and I have shared some of the care with my DiL's mum when my son when back to work. However, he rang me this week to say he isn't coping with this life and is away from his son so much he feels he isn't bonding with him. He was promoted at work a month before the birth and it means him travelling a lot. He says he feels he has lost his life and his wife and is neither a good dad or husband. I am so sad as he appeared to be a wonderful caring dad. He loves his job and I don't think he is over stressed by it, but seems to feel split in two. He did have 2 weeks paternity leave, but unfortunately the planned induction didn't go according to plan and he had already spent 4 days in hospital and another 2 days before his wife came home, so only had another week at home with them.

I was sympathetic with him and tried to understand and reassure him, but now I feel quite cross and that he is being selfish and should just accept that this is now his new life. The old life is no more and my DiL is having far more adjustments to make. I don't think it would help to say this. He is in such conflict with himself and already berating himself.

Is there anything I can say to help? I can't bear to think that a happy marriage might go wrong after the birth of a much wanted baby. The man always has to go back to work after the birth, so do any others feel like this?

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jan-16 12:05:21

Yes - NCT can be a good way of meeting others, but it does seem to have a rather "hearts and flowers" view of childbirth and parenthood in my experience. I am sure there will be Gransnet people who have been involved with NCT and will now post and contest that view!

JessM Mon 04-Jan-16 12:35:15

Been a long time, but should confess to being an NCT teacher. Back then we certainly did not paint a rosy picture of the postnatal weeks. Tegan that is weird. The NCT to my knowledge always promoted contact and bonding. Though back in the 70s and before many hospitals still wanted to whip the baby away and put it in a nursery "so mothers could rest".
Cant speak for current trends in NCT teaching.
But it is a good way of meeting other DADS. The class reunion was the opportunity.
Many new dads are overwhelmed by feelings of responsibility.

Tegan Mon 04-Jan-16 12:39:39

I think they were just told that they would be inundated with unwanted visitors when the baby was born and that they should make it clear when visitors could see them; unfortunately I was included in that sad.

annodomini Mon 04-Jan-16 13:10:44

Jess, in 1971, I was quite glad that my first son was taken to the nursery for the night. We had a tiring labour and they reckoned that both of us needed a rest. When the cot was brought to me in the morning, the bond was immediate. You know the phrase 'my heart went out'? Well, that's exactly what I felt - almost physically.

JessM Mon 04-Jan-16 20:58:54

Tegan I need new glasses...
That all sounds a bit crazy and confused.
I can understand NCT saying advising not too many visitors at home as they can wear parents out...

Witzend Sat 02-Apr-16 15:13:04

Please tell him not to worry! The bonding will come.
We were living in the Gulf when I had first dd, had to come home to have her, local hospital was dire. Was away 6 weeks either side - dh came home for just a week after she was born. After I went back when she was 6 weeks he still hardly saw her, since he was working very long hours and a 6 day week on top. It probably wasn't till we were on leave over a year later that they really got to know each other properly, but he has been the most fantastic, loving dad - their relationship is wonderful, ditto dd2 after similar very long hours circs.

Tell him not to get stressed about it - baby is still so tiny and there's plenty of time.
There is just so much pressure now, and IMO too much wretched 'expert' psychobabble about all sorts - no wonder they get themselves in a tizz.