Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

mealtimes

(62 Posts)
SallyWragg Fri 18-Dec-15 11:13:58

I'm looking after my grandchildren (aged 4 and 6) this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it and have lots of ideas to keep them occupied. I want it to be a fun time for both of them, particularly at this time of year. However, I do have one small problem in that my grandson, aged 4, in the last few months, whenever he's visited or stayed, refuses to eat the meals I've cooked, even food he loves at home. I've tried to handle it by saying just to eat what he likes and to leave the rest or even sometimes, making him a cheese or ham sandwich especially, which is all he seems to like when he's here. I don't want the weekend to turn into a battle over food, which I partly fear it will and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle it.

Sadiesnan Sun 20-Dec-15 19:42:43

Never battle with children over food, as it's a battle you will never win. Just give him something he will eat. He'll get over it!

Nannanoo Mon 21-Dec-15 05:55:29

Lots of good advice here from everyone, and it does reinforce my feeling that making a fuss over children's weird eating habits is just not worth it! My eldest DGD is a bit picky with her food, but if we make a tent and have an 'inside picnic' she'll eat anything. OK so it's sarnies, fruit and yogurt mostly - but she won't die of malnutrition. Her mummy, my DDIL is quite happy about this, so no more battles over what gets eaten and what gets refused. smile

PRINTMISS Mon 21-Dec-15 09:19:26

Until he was about 10 years old my son would eat only crisps and tomato for breakfast. Hates tomatoes now, but the crisps remain a favourite.

MammaN Mon 21-Dec-15 14:40:01

Elder DGS likes ham and little else. He is getting a little better as he gets older but he's still having ham for Christmas dinner grin.

EmilyHarburn Mon 21-Dec-15 16:33:53

MeggyMay I am so sorry you are having to cope with two crises at once. You do naturally want your freedom back but also you now have an opportunity to take part in the upbringing of your grandchildren for a short while.

Start a new thread and then we can chat with you.

As a first step, I suggest you get your daughter to the housing department of the council and find out which organizations have lists for housing for single mum's.

Secondly you must establish 'house rules' Its your house and you are not your daughter's house keeper. You may also wish to charge rent to the level of the bedroom tax limit (see .gov.uk) Good luck.

Thirdly you need time to grieve for the loss of your husband and to sort out your financial affairs.

All the very best to you and your daughter and grandchildren. Hopefully you will enjoy Christmas and look forward to the New Year.

SallyWragg Tue 22-Dec-15 10:55:46

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and all the very best for the New Year and to say I've found the advice given very practical and helpful and if I've not managed to implement it all this weekend, I shall certainly bear it in mind for the next time we look after them. Saturday tea went best of all with ham sandwiches and bits on plates to pick at, and if he's said he's not hungry or left a meal, I've gone along with it and tried not to worry.
The house is far too quiet this morning!
Many thanks again.

SallyWragg Tue 22-Dec-15 10:55:47

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and all the very best for the New Year and to say I've found the advice given very practical and helpful and if I've not managed to implement it all this weekend, I shall certainly bear it in mind for the next time we look after them. Saturday tea went best of all with ham sandwiches and bits on plates to pick at, and if he's said he's not hungry or left a meal, I've gone along with it and tried not to worry.
The house is far too quiet this morning!
Many thanks again.

Luckylegs9 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:40:29

Good bread, ham and cheese never hurt anyone for a couple of days, why have a battle. Enjoy.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Dec-15 19:07:46

Agree with Luckylegs9. I just feed them what they want to eat (within reason!) and leave the nourishing well-balanced diet to their mum.

Ana Tue 22-Dec-15 19:37:26

What's the definition of 'good bread'? Serious question.

What if the little darlings will only eat supermarket white?

rosequartz Tue 22-Dec-15 19:47:28

hmm I did wonder but refrained from saying as I can't eat brown and everyone else in the family dislikes it anyway!

Anything to fill them up if it's just for a weekend (but not the cheapest bread).