Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Happy New Year and what a relief!!!

(35 Posts)
nannynoo Tue 05-Jan-16 17:39:51

Had the fostering panel today and it went really well!!!

I was so calm till I got there and walked into the room , even though the 9 people seemed nice some looked a bit stern / grumpy! lol

Then they asked me all the questions they had which was fine and I answered them all but just at the end I had a huge migraine suddenly come on ( think it was the stress and pressure and emotional build up ) as it was really intense as in one minute I was drinking Earl Grey tea in the cafe next door with the assessor lady and the next we had a call saying we were late ( they got the time wrong to the assessor lady! ) so we went next door and then pretty much straight into panel , it felt like the most important interview of my whole life and more and I answered one question after the other which wasn't too bad until right at the end the headache coming on , but I didn't sleep that well last night and there has been months of build up to this very important day so my brain packed in after the last of the 10 questions! lol wink

On the whole I did pretty well and we went outside for just a few minutes , was called back in and the panel chair said I had passed unanimously and it was smiles all round!! smile smile

I told them that news was better than winning the lottery and am sure they could tell I meant it , was grinning from ear to ear and thanking them and they thanked me for what I was doing for my GS

I walked up to the shops with the assesor lady and we bumped into the co chair who said THEY WERE IMPRESSED WITH ME!!!

Feeling tearful now and it was all a bit of a blur and seemed to happen so fast like a tsunami but am glad I can relax and enjoy lo now

Unfortunately when I left the assessor lady to go and do some shopping I suddenly felt sick and had to throw up in a corner but it just shows the emotional intensity of it all as this was SO important to me and had been hanging over my head for 6 months tbh plus it went from calm to intense in a few short seconds lol ... I went straight home and rested up and will continue to rest up as this is the most important thing I have ever done in my life and my GS and my future happiness was resting on this day...

SO glad it went so well though even with feeling ill after lol the questions weren't too bad and there was a very positive vibe in the room even though it was formal and they seemed delighted to tell me the news ... I myself am a mix of ( good ) emotions including still being in shock and ELATED and it has not actually sunk in yet tbh but am sure it will and am so glad the PRESSURE is off and I keep feeling tearful when I think about the fact that they were impressed with me! Mind you I have and am putting a lot of work in and it has paid off .... All those months of dire heartache before he was placed with me to THIS = PASSING panel so his placement is SECURE and I can relax and know his happiness will remain and continue , it means the world to me it really does and I have a feeling all the love and care and positivity I have inside came across to the panel and am so glad it was unanimous too! smile xx

Wheniwasyourage Tue 05-Jan-16 17:44:47

Congratulations nannynoo!!! You sound so happy, and I am delighted for you. Very best wishes for your future with your DGS flowers

Marmight Tue 05-Jan-16 17:45:09

That is wonderful news nannynoo. You must be so happy and so relieved. No wonder you had to throw up shock - take care of yourself. The future is now secure for you and for your gs flowers

Crow Tue 05-Jan-16 17:52:39

[nannynoo] congratulations, you deserve this for all your perseverance.
I wish you many many happy years together.
flowers

Crow Tue 05-Jan-16 17:53:35

oh sorry I used brackets instead of stars nannynoo

mumofmadboys Tue 05-Jan-16 17:57:33

We are all impressed too! Wishing you much happiness, calmness,peace and patience!

Ana Tue 05-Jan-16 17:58:44

I'm so very pleased for you, nannynoo - well done! smile flowers

rubysong Tue 05-Jan-16 18:02:23

What a wonderful start to the New Year nannynoo. All your GN friends knew they would pass you. Your love and commitment were clear from your postings. Celebrate! flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 18:05:23

Well done nannnoo. Sorry all the stress of it made you poorly. Can't quite understand why you had to jump through so many hoops to be allowed to care for your own grandson, but hey!

You take care of yourself now. Try to relax and rest. I wish you and the young feller all the luck in the world. flowers

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jan-16 18:19:26

Huge congratulations nannoo !!

I have a dear friend who is a foster mum and I am stunned by everything that goes into that so understand the pressure you felt and your joy at passing.

That's one very lucky little boy xx

Synonymous Tue 05-Jan-16 18:26:32

nannynoo congratulations! flowers wine
So pleased for you both and every good wish to you for the future.smile

chelseababy Tue 05-Jan-16 18:31:34

I don't know all the background, but this brought tears to my eyes. Very happy for you flowers

downtoearth Tue 05-Jan-16 18:55:43

congratulations nannynoo can empathise with you,have had a similar battle myself.Now you can relax and look forward to a wonderful future sunshinexxx

Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:11:46

So happy for you nannynoo and your darling grandson. You have a stong bond with your GS.
Today is the first day in your secure future together.
So now you can look forward to a lovely time together.
Love always shines outflowers

LullyDully Tue 05-Jan-16 19:27:34

Hard work, tenacity and so much love....congratulations nannynoo. So glad for you and the little one. Lucky, lucky boy.

nannynoo Tue 05-Jan-16 20:23:13

I am the lucky one , truly smile xx

When child protection are involved the 'simple' and 'easy' things ( and things we take for granted! ) aren't there any more , you have to prove your weight in gold and it is neccessary and I do understand why , just don't have to like it wink The main thing I don't like is the utter STRESS it brings but if I can get through this I can get through anything! :-) :-) x

jogginggirl Tue 05-Jan-16 21:03:48

Wonderful, wonderful news nannynoo smile XX

Deedaa Tue 05-Jan-16 21:57:53

Wonderful news nannynoo I'm so pleased for you! So glad that all your hard work was recognised by them smile Obviously you will have ups and downs ahead of you, but at least you now have a firm base to work from.

rosesarered Tue 05-Jan-16 22:13:50

So glad it all went so well for you,it will be worth all the hard work that you put into it, just to know that your DGS will be with you and will be loved and cared for.smile

Jomarie Tue 05-Jan-16 22:21:14

WELL DONE TO YOU NANNYNOO Happy days ahead flowers

Nana3 Tue 05-Jan-16 22:26:12

Wonderful news. I'm very happy for you. New beginnings. flowers

Penstemmon Tue 05-Jan-16 23:11:53

Congratulations, am pleased that things have worked out for you flowers

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 05-Jan-16 23:14:58

Very happy for you nannynoo and a wonderful start to the New Year flowers

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Jan-16 23:23:13

Jumping through all these hoops is important to make sure that little boy gets the very best care in a stable home, everything any child deserves, and it sounds like that's just what he has in you. I don't know you other than reading your posts, but your love and commitment to your precious boy shine through, I'm so glad the Panel saw that too, even with the migraine. Take good care of yourself too flowers

Indinana Wed 06-Jan-16 08:12:08

I am so pleased for you nannynoo, cannot even begin to imagine how you must be feeling - relieved, excited, emotional, and so much more. What a fantastic New Year's present - for both of you. He is one lucky little boy to have you in his corner smile.