Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Faux pas at toddler group

(32 Posts)
Synonymous Thu 28-Apr-16 17:59:49

When I was helping at a church toddler group there was great concern about a particular 'young mum' and the support we should be giving her which caused me great confusion/amusement since she was in the year above me at school and had her children about 10 years or so after I did. We all make assumptions all the time and it happens in many different ways. In this instance we all had a good laugh about it especially when I said that I had to admit to having been a child bride! Just brush it lightly off and carry on Tinytwo smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Apr-16 17:52:13

Oh, but I was just thinking how nice it would be if one of the mums at the toddler group I go to with my DGS2 mistook me for his mum drifts off into highly unlikely daydream

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 17:33:42

When DD was in reception I used to chat to another mum whose child was in DD's class. She then told me that the other child she picked up was her DGC in the same class!

ninathenana Thu 28-Apr-16 17:20:36

It's sad you didn't think you fitted in at the toddler group. My mum used to take my two and the three of them had a great time.
Easy mistake TinyTwo mum did that with a dad at the primary school gates but to be honest I'd spent all term thinking he was the boy's GF

Badenkate Thu 28-Apr-16 17:14:29

Oh dear! DSIL had a late baby (6 months unemployment for DH at the time) and she was always worried that she would be taken for his grandmother at the school gates.

rosesarered Thu 28-Apr-16 17:09:58

Haha! Never mind, you were not to know, and there are quite a few older Mums out there these days.grin

TinyTwo Thu 28-Apr-16 17:07:56

I've recently started looking after my youngest grandchild and decided to see what activities were on nearby that he might like. I've taken him to a few toddler groups and things in the local area and although everyone smiles and is polite there's definitely a distance between me and the 'mums'. Anyway, I finally went to a library singsong thing today and got chatting to a lovely other grandmother and her charming little grandson. We were getting on really well. Until I asked how many days a week she looked after her grandson and she looked at me with horror and spat out 'I'm his MOTHER'. I quickly left. blush shock Whoops...