Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Advice on school problem

(56 Posts)
Apple10 Wed 03-Aug-16 10:44:52

I am feeling so annoyed about an incident at school which happened just prior to the school holidays and would like to know how other Grandparents would have felt. My Granddaughter, who is 7, burst into tears as soon as she saw me when she came out of the classroom. The class send their homework wallets in on a Monday. This had been done except my Granddaughter's writing book had been sent back Tuesday. My Granddaughter told the teacher that it had been handed in and when but she wasn't believed and so her name was put on the class board for all to see and that she would miss 'Golden time'. She is a quiet little girl and so felt very embarrassed by this. I did confront the teacher who found it within seconds and no apology to the child was forthcoming. Homework is always handed in on time but on this occasion, the writing book was a day late because it was her birthday weekend and her parents had been away from home. Am I being over sensitive about the issue? I feel cross that the teacher would not take my Granddaughter's word.

trisher Thu 04-Aug-16 20:43:51

Penstemmon I wondered about the book 'handing in" as well. I once taught a child whose homework was usually late, he sometimes managed to slip his book in the pile and tell me I hadn't marked it! For those up in arms about names on the board I regularly used mine as an aide memoire.Names are only written in the corner in very small writing. When you have to remember that some people haven't brought back their library book, Joe needs to wait in the foyer because his mum will be late and 4 children need a letter to go home, a list is a great help. For those who think it might be upsetting, children in my class would add their own names to the list when necessary. I remember a head teacher coming with a message for a child whose mother was a governor, after she had finished the child came across to me sighed and said "I'd better put my name on the board or I'll never be able to remember all that."

Penstemmon Thu 04-Aug-16 21:37:04

Crafting do not assume I do not have family experience of a child who finds/found school difficult or that I have not successfully worked with many vulnerable and sensitive children.

I have worked with colleagues who I did not respect professionally and I have dismissed staff that have behaved poorly. I am aware that there are people in schools who should not be there BUT in the 40 years I have worked in schools it was a very tiny number compared to the vast majority of caring and thoughtful professionals who do their very best for children.

I understand that if you had an unhappy experience at school this will colour your view of teachers.

Crafting Thu 04-Aug-16 21:57:15

Penstemmon my schooldays weren't the happiest of my life as I was an extremely shy child but surprisingly I was not bullied and managed to get through reasonably unscathed. I was always good at school because I was too scared not to be but I found the work difficult even though I tried very hard. I was never praised for my work or effort (unlike the gifted ones) which didn't bother me because even praise would mean that someone noticed me. I was once, however, told to stand at the front of the class as punishment for something I was supposed to have done. The torture of that hour is with me to this day (although others with the same punishment thought nothing of it). I suppose my point is that there are some children who are not wicked, or deceitful or pretending to be little angels but who are just plain scared and nervous and this sort of punishment upsets them more than others. Toughen up, no, I never did, aLthough as time went on I made my way in the world. Good teachers are a blessing and can make all the difference to a child, unfortunately, bad ones can ruin one.

Penstemmon Thu 04-Aug-16 22:14:17

Crafting I had some bad experiences at school too, I was not an academic girl, I attended 5 different primary schools and then went to boarding school as my parents were overseas. Some girls there were not very kind. Later I went to a local school when my parents returned to UK. I was screamed at by my maths teacher and Latin teacher and called all kinds of awful names by them. When I went to a school reunion (aged 58!) my classmates all recalled the bawling out Mr Lowe gave me in Latin!! I think a lot has to do with family and upbringing too. I felt unconditionally loved by my parents ( even when they told me off..I was not a perfect child!!) and this brings a certain level of quiet confidence.

Crafting Thu 04-Aug-16 23:03:34

I was blessed with my parents too Penstemmon, they were both very loving and caring. Why I was so nervous I don't know but I always envied those with outgoing personalities. I think you must be one of the many good teachers (I've got a few in my family too) who care about the children.

Apple10 I hope you DGD feels better now and forgets all about I over the school hols.