Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I never signed up for this!

(120 Posts)
Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 08:00:56

Nobody tells you, when you become a grandparent that you always inherit their b****y pets too hmm

All our families are away this week together, somewhere. But does this mean a week of peaceful bliss for us grandparents left behind?

No way! We now have the two granddogs staying with us, so in addition to our two that's four dogs to walk, feed, pooperscoop. The 'baby' a 6 month old daschund puppy howls at night and first thing in the morning, so we're up at the crack of dawn.

Then there's the visits to the guninea pigs at one end of town and the chickens at the other. One of the two chickens was poorly yesterday so we took it to the vet at great expense but the blasted thing went and died anyway.

So we've had to chase around to find a similar one and replace it in the run hoping my granddaughter (who loved her chicken) won't notice it has white tail feathers instead of being all brown. Luckily the surviving chicken didn't seem to notice either and didn't peck it to death, thanks to my vinegar technique.

I'm a total physical and mental wreck hmm

chicken Tue 09-Aug-16 16:04:22

Oh Anya, I know just what you mean. I'm looking after four cats, three hamsters and a tankful of fish, not to mention four hanging baskets and about 50 potted plants, plus having to be there at specified times to receive deliveries, also await possible calls for a lift home from camping grandson. The cats never come in when called and the largest hamster bit me causing me to drip a trail of blood all over their bedroom floor, so that was a lovely clearing up job to do. I wouldn't mind so much if I was asked, but I'm always TOLD that I'm going to do it! Having protested once, I was told that they couldn't afford to put the cats in a cattery. What value does that put on my efforts ?!

Phoebes Tue 09-Aug-16 16:05:15

We had an elderly neighbour and used to look after her beautiful white cat when she went away. A few years ago she had gone to the IOW for a few days and I found the poor car looking very ill and took him to the vet, who said it was terminal cancer and it would be best to put him to sleep. Fortunately I had her phone number on holiday and was able to ask her if it was OK and she was very sensible and said to go ahead as he was suffering. I felt terrible about it, but he had obviously been ill for a long time beforehand.

Libbysmum Tue 09-Aug-16 16:22:37

My ex was looking after our daughter's cats and 2 hamsters. He had to clean the hamsters cages and 1 got out and ex assumed cat had caught it. Towards end of holiday, still no sign of hammy so ex bought another one to replace it. All was well until a few days after our daughter returned from holiday and the 'missing' hamster appeared as if by magic. It was unscathed from it's experience. Their 2 cats were elderly so may explain why they didn't catch hammy. Took some explaining as my ex hadn't confided in my daughter!!

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 16:50:07

The vinegar trick......when introducing a new chicken into the coop/flock there can be trouble. All chuckle owners know this. My trick is to rub vinegar into the new chicken and pop her into the coop just before bedtime. Then all tne other chicken get the vinegar rub too and when it's dark I pop them in with her.

The theory is that they all smell alike (no new alien smells) and when they wake up in the morning they've sort of bonded. It doesn't always work, but happily it did last night.

embo I'm not actually moaning just sharing my life with my friends in GN. It seems that it's a fairly common ask.

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 16:53:39

And of course when they return I'll get my reward....more tea towels! grin

spooky Tue 09-Aug-16 17:00:21

I bet they would love to read how you feel and especially about how thrilled you are to be having them all over for a BBQ and having the grandchildren sleep over.

If you don't want to do something then don't do it. If you are happy to help then do it without moaning.

As someone else said, if it is such a burden then I'm sure they will find friends to help or make other arrangements.

aggie Tue 09-Aug-16 17:14:52

I didn't get the "moany" message just someone sharing the fun and games , we all do that surely . Maybe some lovely people do just say "no " to Family , but most of us do it and a tiny grumble sort of lets off steam ?

Grandmama Tue 09-Aug-16 17:47:07

Several years ago DD2 bought two rabbits for Granddaughter 1, they were to be house rabbits but one was much larger than the other, both turned out to be male and both fought each other so DH and I took the larger one. He (rabbit not DH) lives in a two storey, 4 room hutch behind the house with a large run attached (that I spent a whole day making) and he is out and about from 7am until I go to bed. Then DD2 and her DH went on holiday so we took in the little rabbit so I made another run at the side of the house. Then of course he never went home. Eventually a colleague of DD2 adopted him and has given him a warm welcome. The large rabbit is going strong. Rabbits can live up to 14 year so when I'm in well into my 70s I'll still be cleaning out a rabbit weekly, not what I signed up for! But I do love him (honestly).

Humbertbear Tue 09-Aug-16 17:51:14

Stand in front of a mirror and practice saying no. The pets, like the children, are their responsibility. If you like, explain that it is too much for you, but you shouldn't have to explain.

watermeadow Tue 09-Aug-16 18:23:49

I'd never put my dogs in kennels, I expect my family to look after my pets as I do for them. This is what families are for.
So I dog and cat sit frequently (at least while they're away I don't have to do childcare) I trail up and down the hills twice daily to feed cats, I have their dogs in my house, I tidy their houses, Hoover, do loads of washing, buy the cat food and litter which they've forgotten.
And in return... Oh, there was that occasion last year when someone came to let out my dogs one lunchtime. I haven't had a night away for 18 months.
Cynical? Me?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Aug-16 18:50:17

I've said on here before, I'm not overly-fussed at having the grandkids to stay here, leave alone any pets! So far this holiday I seem to have got away with it. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Aug-16 18:50:53

(that was in relation to *spooky's post)

Swanny Tue 09-Aug-16 19:38:23

embo and spooky I read Anya's opening post as just telling her friends what was happening in her life at the moment, not as a moan. This is chat we share on gransnet with other grandparents who do the same and understand the things we do for our families to help them. If it was a heartfelt moan or complaint it would have been posted under a serious topic such as (AIBU) Am I Being Unreasonable

merlotgran Tue 09-Aug-16 19:51:54

Ha Ha watermeadow Your post reminds me of three years ago when the DGSs went off for their annual two weeks with their dad. DD got a last minute offer to go to Italy with a friend but couldn't get her two dogs into kennels at peak time and short notice.

That meant I spent two weeks looking after her dogs and cat, watering her plants, doing the laundry that she somehow didn't have time to do before she packed hmm and picking up the boys from the airport when they came back.

What did I get for my troubles? A nice bottle of wine? Some extra extra virgin olive oil or some sought after balsamic vinegar?

No. I got a bloody fridge magnet.

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 20:15:08

Got it in one Swanny wink

jogginggirl Tue 09-Aug-16 22:56:05

? Tea-towels - that made me smile Anya

Whilst clearing my mum's house recently - I found umpteen of these - mostly bought my me to say thank you for helping me with something or other.....
She clearly cherished them because they were still un-used and in perfect condition.....❤️

I know how much you love your family and I also know that this is a very tongue-in-cheek post - thank you for bringing a smile to my face....?

rosesarered Tue 09-Aug-16 23:00:30

Anya I remove my Gransnet tin hat and salute you.... Your efforts are above and beyond the call of duty, award yourself a Mars Bar.grin You will be mentioned in dispatches.

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 23:03:33

Another friend on the same wavelength smile

I think it helps that many of us know each other pretty well now on GN and share the same sense of humour and understand our good-natured 'moans' ....and yes, very much tongue in cheek.

I'd be horrified if any of my lovely family thought that we wouldn't be there to help them in tne same way they are always there for us sad

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 23:05:28

roses if I do sneak in a Mars bar, promise not to tell Mamie or I'll be drummed off the low carb thread wink

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 23:06:26

Why a tin hat roses? You beeh on those politicsll threads again?

jogginggirl Tue 09-Aug-16 23:10:22

roses grin grin

Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 23:22:05

moon

grannyqueenie Wed 10-Aug-16 10:14:14

Hats off to all gransnetters on pet duty this summer! We have our favourite "grand dog" coming next weekend, she's a giddy bundle of loveliness who has had some digestives issues recently shock, so that should be fun! I don't think anyone on here is moaning, I know I'm not, but we all smile albeit through clenched teeth at times, at the irony of it all...
After all when I had my children all those years ago I naively thought it was a job for 21 years max, and less if they got married at 19 as I did....how wrong could I be! But hand on heart I wouldn't change any of it, it's a lovely "problem" to have, I'm very blessed.

Balini Wed 10-Aug-16 10:27:18

I've never had this problem, with any of my family. Who are all dog lovers, but they were taught, that they are animals, not human beings. When they go visiting, the dogs are left at home. I did have this problem once, with a friend, who had a huge poodle, which was poorly trained. He visited once, with the dog. I told him he was welcome, but the dog stayed outside, the dog could come to no harm, as our property, was enclosed. He wasn't too pleased. He only stayed about five minutes, and left. We visited each other, many times after that, but he never brought his dog again. I myself, was brought up, with dogs and we always had a dog after we were married. They were loved and well cared for. I was always taught, a dogs place, was at your feet, not on an armchair, or your bed.

granjura Wed 10-Aug-16 13:35:11

Ah well- you could say NO - there are such things as kennels you know (there is one born every day - I know, me too!) ...