Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I never signed up for this!

(120 Posts)
Anya Tue 09-Aug-16 08:00:56

Nobody tells you, when you become a grandparent that you always inherit their b****y pets too hmm

All our families are away this week together, somewhere. But does this mean a week of peaceful bliss for us grandparents left behind?

No way! We now have the two granddogs staying with us, so in addition to our two that's four dogs to walk, feed, pooperscoop. The 'baby' a 6 month old daschund puppy howls at night and first thing in the morning, so we're up at the crack of dawn.

Then there's the visits to the guninea pigs at one end of town and the chickens at the other. One of the two chickens was poorly yesterday so we took it to the vet at great expense but the blasted thing went and died anyway.

So we've had to chase around to find a similar one and replace it in the run hoping my granddaughter (who loved her chicken) won't notice it has white tail feathers instead of being all brown. Luckily the surviving chicken didn't seem to notice either and didn't peck it to death, thanks to my vinegar technique.

I'm a total physical and mental wreck hmm

Lillie Sat 13-Aug-16 14:56:41

Ouch Anya! Hope the pain is settling.

Anya Sat 13-Aug-16 15:09:53

Have to say A & E were great once I got seen (90 minutes)

Had to have acrylic cast cut off. There was a deep indentation below my knuckles which accounted for the fingers starting to look like little fat sausages. They've put a temporary half slab on and make appointment for fracture clinic on Wednesday to give the odema a change to settle down.

Hey ho! A&E doctor wasn't happy that the right elbow didn't have any support though.

Our fracture clinic doesn't operate at weekends Maggie

Don't rate DH as a hairdresser - he just doesn't 'get' blow drying and tries to pat my hair flat to my head to dry it. Now she's back I'll get daughter to do it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 13-Aug-16 15:18:57

Of course, it's the weekend. Days all merge into one round here, especially with the Olympics being on. With all this early morning coverage and the consequent long lies-in I'm losing track of what time it is too!

Glad you've got it sorted, Anya. smile

caz55 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:26:25

before my not so DS and horrid DIL stopped talking to us `i would often come home find they had gone out for the day or weekend and let themselves in and dropped dogs off,never left any food for them expected us to feed them our dog food, we put up with it as we are dog lovers and didn't want them to suffer, used to drive us mad never knowing when they would be picked up . Don't know what happens now they don't talk to us.
other DS who's wife has sided with the others still turns up with his dog when working even though we have no other contact with him or his family, i put up with it for dogs sake and if i say anything world war 3 will break out but there are days i feel really pissed off by it .sad

morethan2 Sat 13-Aug-16 23:14:35

As we speak there's an English bull terrier ( the one with the long snout) laying between my husband and me. She's really heavy and bounces all over, she follows me in the kitchen, puts her snout in the dishwasher. We're for ever falling over her. I've got her cage and all her parifnailiar in the living room. We're having to walk her three/four times a day. We can't eat in peace. I don't understand it but I'm getting terribly fond of her. If their not careful I'll like her better than my grandchildren

grannyqueenie Sun 14-Aug-16 08:05:31

Sorry it's not been straightforward, Anya. The thought of you coaching your dh in the art of blowdrying made me smile, amazing what we can tolerate when needs must! Sending flowers flowers and best wishes....oh and heaps of patience too!

Stansgran Sun 14-Aug-16 09:44:41

Just read the follow up . Lots offlowers

Anya Sun 14-Aug-16 11:07:08

Love tne photo morethan ...can I ask....does she let off wind? The only other English Bull Terrier I ever knew, many years ago, used to install herself on my lap and quietly snooze and fart! I didn't have the courage to push her off as she would then growl at me. My motto was 'let sleeping bull terriers lie' hmm

Had a better nights sleep now my hand is released from its tight cage. Fingers back to normal size inside a nicely fitting back slab. DH has gone out to play golf but forgotten to leave back doors unlocked (can't lift handle and turn key) so I was effectively locked in house unless I crawled out through the dog flap. But have phoned DS who is on his way over with GDs to release me into back garden to sit in sunshine should it ever appear - very overcast here sunshine

morethan2 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:39:34

I'm afraid she does Anya but it's much improved since she was put on some expensive diet by the vet. The problem is she's so heavy if she decides to run round in mad circles I haven't the strength to control her. But she's such a docile thing and yet people cross the road when they see her. Goes to show that looks can be deceiving! I used to look after my two grandsons while their parents went on holiday and now they go together I get the dog, I did volunteer so I'm not really complaining.

Anya Sun 14-Aug-16 14:58:29

Morethan I was just talking about small pleasures in life on another thread and your post reminded me of the sheer pleasure expressed by a dog when its owner/carer returns to tne house. It takes so little to make these wonderful animals happy doesn't it?

Mildred Sun 14-Aug-16 15:30:02

Nora Ephron said if you have teenagers you should get a dog so that somebody is pleased to see you when you get home from work.

morethan2 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:43:38

A boy and his beloved dog. This photo is a favourite and makes me smile, it is indeed the small things. I can remember driving to work and seeing two little girls dressed up in hats and high heels. They were tottering along swinging old handbags. I smiled all day and can still conjure up their image.

morethan2 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:25:43

As a footnote on the whole dogs never dissapoint you, unlike people

Anya Mon 15-Aug-16 10:29:09

Very true

Skyler Wed 24-Aug-16 10:54:57

I have some very good chicken recipes ;-)

Seriously though, pets are important to my grandchildren, I had to stop short of having their dog to stay over with them in the school holidays though. He's the size of a coffee table and stinks to high heaven. We booked him into kennels nearby and took the kids every day to walk him and pet him. A bit of a compromise and it cost £30 a day, but the resultant peace was worth it!

Anya Wed 24-Aug-16 11:16:05

Update. Chickengate was successful as no one even noticed that Rosie was now suddenly sprouting white tail feathers.

I get the size bit Skyler ...could you not have bathed him though wink

wot Wed 24-Aug-16 11:53:16

morethan2, such a lovely dog!

jackrack111 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:57:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

rubysong Sat 27-Aug-16 21:28:49

Hi, morethan, our granddog is also an EBT. She is lovely and good as gold in the house but pulls like mad on the lead, and we daren't let her off the lead as she runs away. We had one when our DC were young and DS2 always wanted one as an adult. She is a rescue dog. We love having her as it is good to have a bull terrier in the house again.