Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Infectious diseases in young children

(10 Posts)
Victoria08 Tue 16-Aug-16 16:53:58

My one year old gs attends nursery two days a week.
Unfortunately, they have had an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease.
(Not foot and mouth, animals only that one).
It is highly contagious in children, but adults can get it too.
As far as we know, he hasn't caught it yet, but it could be incubating.

I am very worried that if he gets it, he could pass it on to me and my partner who has diabetes.
Symptoms are unpleasant, blistering of hands, feet and mouth and generally feeling unwell.
Has anyone else encountered this disease in their grandchildren, and if so, how did they cope.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Aug-16 17:03:32

I thought most children get it at some point and it's normally very mild I wouldn't worry unduly if he s a healthy thriving chap

kittylester Tue 16-Aug-16 17:15:55

All mine had it and most if the grand children. I never got it. It's very minor generally so don't worry.

Mildred Tue 16-Aug-16 17:26:54

Mine has it too and Mr M and I never caught it.

Mildred Tue 16-Aug-16 17:33:38

My GC had it Mr M and we never caught it.

fiorentina51 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:37:14

Both of my own kids caught it and then kindly passed it on to me. My hands and feet were uncomfortable but my mouth and tongue were covered on painful blisters some of which combined into an absolute belter that was the size of an old 10p coin. ?
On the plus side I lost half a stone in a week due to the fact that I couldn't eat anything and just sipped cuppa soups.
Mind you, I put it all back on again once my mouth was back to normal.

BBbevan Tue 16-Aug-16 18:54:58

We had this occur often at school. The only advise we were given was to inform pregnant mothers as with other childhood diseases.
Though very uncomfortable for the child we never heard of any serious complications with the child or the family
Perhaps the advice has changed now. To be on the safe side I would consult your GP

Luckygirl Tue 16-Aug-16 18:57:52

All children and GC have had it - very mild. Most adults have had it but don't know it - the chances are that it will not be a problem even if you do get it.

grannyqueenie Tue 16-Aug-16 21:21:59

One of my grandaughters was very poorly with it when she was under a year old. She was much more unwell than mine were when they had it, but I think it was complicated by her having a severe cleft palate. No one else in the family cauht it, I think most adults are immune.

Judthepud2 Tue 16-Aug-16 22:20:32

It's very common in children at nursery school. Both GS1&2 had it but although a bit unsightly is quite mild compared with some of the other infectious diseases. None of the adults in the family got it.