Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Asking for too much?

(121 Posts)
retirementisgreat Tue 21-Feb-17 19:52:47

My DD and her OH have five children between them, all living with them aged 15mth - 13 years. I have been asked to have them all once a month for a weekend- every month - so they can get away for a break. I did it once recently and was exhausted and said never again. I am now accused of letting DD down and that I'm always changing my mind and letting her down. An argument has ensued but I am determined not to be worn down which is the usual result. However I think she will now not let my DGD stay with me as a way of getting me to change my mind. My DGD has stayed with me on and off for the last 13 years. The other girls are DSDs. I always have to go to DD's house too which I am not comfortable with but she insists is easier all round. I'm in my late 60's and not as energetic as I was. I love my grandchildren dearly but can't cope with that commitment. There is no one else who can look after the children for her so DD relies on me to do it all. I don't think my DD has any respect for me and is treating me the same way as my ex OH did.

Norah Wed 22-Feb-17 20:36:13

I married at 16 and had my first at 17, I remember being over tired and needing a break. No Sloane Ranger years. I have dds, they're worn at home all day. They, too, are not having fun. I love to provide and as a pp said I dislike being at odds.

MissAdventure Wed 22-Feb-17 20:37:04

What a bloody cheek!

hicaz46 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:33:43

Say no firmly and stick to it. My DD is going away for a long weekend and my partner and I are sharing the childcare of my twin grandchildren with the other set of grandparents. 2 days each, it works well for us having done it previously. as we are retired we do schooldays and they do weekend as one of them still works.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 22-Feb-17 21:34:05

Totally unreasonable! Im also saying what a cheek!

mumofmadboys Wed 22-Feb-17 21:38:03

I had five children under nine. There is no way my parents could have looked after them for the weekend! It was very demanding but a lot of fun too.

beccyb Wed 22-Feb-17 22:52:42

A break one weekend a month!! most parents make do with one night out a month! Yes they are being unreasonable, 5 is a lot to cope with!

DaisyDog Wed 22-Feb-17 23:34:54

Tell her your feelings on the matter and she'll find another babysitter for their get away needs.

Shizam Thu 23-Feb-17 00:16:16

Once a month! And calls you unreasonable! I never had any parents or in-laws to help. Just me and their dad trudging through it. She and partner need a wake-up call into how selfish they are. Quite shocked actually.

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 07:43:10

I agree with all the others who've said it's a ridiculous request. In emergencies one would do anything possible, but anyone who needs a weekend off from their kids every month needs to rethink how they are doing stuff.

They sound like 'chancers' to me. Say no and stick to it. Good luck.

Anya Thu 23-Feb-17 08:45:46

It's the sheer number isn't it? Coping with 5 is a lot to ask, but then the 13 year old ought to be a big help.

I'd suggest that you might offer to have them all just a couple of nights over the year. That's more than enough, not a whole weekend though. I do have all four of my grandchildren stay over together a couple of times a year so my daughter and SiL and my son and DiL can go out for a meal all together. The bond between my DD and DDiL is a bit rivalry so I do this to encourage them to get on a bit better.

etheltbags1 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:15:58

I'm knackered looking after one, much as I adore her, I couldn't cope with 5 and would say so.

Lizzy53 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:35:43

Poor you! Stick to your guns, that's unfair treatment and emotional blackmail!
Honestly kids expect too much from their parents these days, and forget we are 'getting on', and seem to be quite selfish.
Hopefully she may rethink once she realises she isn't getting away for her breaks.
She needs a reality check!

TerriBull Thu 23-Feb-17 09:51:20

Just what everybody else has said. I had grandson 2 nearly 3 from lunch time to 6ish yesterday and a lot of crawling about on the floor playing with dinosaurs, duplo and cars doesn't come as easy now as it did 30 years ago. It's one thing having an older grandchild to stay who doesn't need hands on attention, but 5 with an age range of toddler to early teens is too much even for an overnighter. I note that you are the only grandparent around, that's all the more reason they should value more than they do and it's certainly very good of you to step in with step grandchildren who are having problems with their mother, but perhaps that should be their father's job, they are his children after all. I can imagine a blended family with 5 children doesn't leave a lot of "me" time but your daughter and son-in-law made an informed choice on that one, you didn't. I don't really get the swanning off once month for a week-end, we did that perhaps half a dozen times with the help of grown up half siblings between the times of early childhood and late teens.

The mind boggles at what they expect of you, completely unreasonable and selfish.

Anya Thu 23-Feb-17 11:30:33

But think of that feeling as you reach for the wine when you close the door after waving them all goodbye.

There's nothing like it!

hopeful1 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:15:42

Good grief, they are really trying (to take the p#"s) to take advantage of a good grandparent. A one off is one thing but every month - their parenting skills are leaving a lot to be desired in my eyes. What a cheek.

Mistyfluff8 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:33:51

I would not have 5grandchildren every month .It was a hard enough to get my husbands parents to babysit for a few hours when they were older .

hopeful1 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:38:25

And another thought. Don't leave the parents on their own for too long, perhaps child 6 will appear!

FightingEstrangement1 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:22:43

I'm a parent of 2 young children.

I think it's a disgustingly entitled thing to do to ask anyone to have their 5 children once a month so they can 'have a break'. None of my friends or peers would ever ask their parents to look after their children overnight except as a one-off i.e. a special anniversary, or in an emergency. The bullying tactics to pressure the OP to change her mind are particularly grim.

I would just say that I don't think this has anything to do with 'a generational thing'. Yes, it might be more acceptable these days to have a bit of 'me time', but not to this extent. Just plain selfish.

Sar53 Thu 23-Feb-17 17:15:27

I told my DD, who has three young daughters, about this thread and she couldn't believe that someone could even think about asking a grandparent to look after five GC for a whole weekend every month.
I looked after my three DGD's, aged 7,5 and 1 from midday on Saturday till midday Sunday and I was exhausted. My DD has said she wouldn't ask me to look after all three of them again.

Starlady Fri 24-Feb-17 13:47:02

Dd and sil are probably just very tired and need a break themselves. However, still, as pps have said, they have no right to expect this of you, no right to expect childminding of you at all. Kind of you to even try, it proved too difficult, you can't do it anymore, end of story.

It caught my attention, however, that dd accuses you of "always changing your mind." Is it possible you agreed wholeheartedly to this idea at first and then reneged after that exhausting weekend? I don't blame you for changing your mind after that, but it would have been better to have said, "I'll try it and see how it goes."

But oh well. Unless you signed a contract, lol, you are under no obligation to do this. Dd and family are lucky that you've done as much as you have. True, they may get mad and keep dgd from staying with you, but is that worse than having to endure more exhausting weekends? You may have to be willing to trade off what you enjoy to avoid what you don't enjoy. Hope it all gets sorted out in the end.