Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Fighting grandsons - what to do?

(30 Posts)
GrannyA11i Sat 04-Mar-17 09:58:43

Following on from the thread about getting tired looking after grandchildren I would like to ask how others approach the issue of the dcs fighting whilst in their care. I have 2 dgs 9 and 5 and little dgd not quite 2. I mind dg one full day a week and do the school run for the other two. It's the after school bit with the three of them which really gets me down. We can have a lovely chat in the car and all is fine and then once we reach their house it starts - usually the older one winds up his brother until he retaliates or they argue and physically hurt each other over who is having the x box first! DD has laid down rules which they fully understand but still argue with both telling tales about the other etc. All this while I'm keeping an eye on the little one and making sure the dog has gone outside!

I started ignoring it as my husband said they're not 'fighting' it's just what brothers do but felt I had a duty of care to the 5 year old especially and can't ignore them if he is getting hurt. It's got to the point where we can not have all 3 at our house in the holidays as it's just awful and not enjoyable. DD is not lax with her discipline and has raised them all with an expectation of respect for adults but the older one just doesn't seem to remember anything she's said! When we have just the younger two they will do as they are told and calm down if things begin to get out of hand. DD has the same problems at home too and has tried many things to sort it but it's different for us -I don't want my time with them ruined by constantly having to tell them off and mediate! We had 2 boys and a girl ourselves so it's not like I haven't had experience of this situation either!

Caroline123 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:41:53

I'd try writing a rota as to whose turn it is first and and alarm for changeover time.Any arguing for either of them and the X box goes for a week.
I'd also have a snack and a drink ready the moment they walk in your house.

MagicWand Sun 05-Mar-17 21:16:05

Remember we only usually see part of the disagreement. We usually see the bit once the situation has got to the physical bit, we don't always see the provocation that may have gone before it. Remember younger siblings are masters of the art of 'Ow, get off, Nana he's hurting meeeeeee!' at which point we rush in to rescue the victim and wreak vengence on the agressor!

Your daughter's house rules, which are already in place, perhaps need reviewing together then you can use them in your house too if you want. It's a good idea to make them very visible as a way of reminding everyone how to behave, even better if the children help make a poster or notice with them displayed. The fewer the better 3-4 maximum and make them positive not negative using phrases like 'We are kind to each other' not 'No hitting', 'Use indoor voices' not 'Don't shout'.

Be positive with lots of specific praise for being kind, sharing, etc. when you see it - all the behaviours you want to be repeated. So saying things like, 'Well done Sam, that was good sharing' are much better than a general, albeit well meant, 'Good boy'. It may feel artificial at first but keep at it and you will find it easier.

Be consistent, try to identify the build up to the problems and defuse them before they tip over into fighting.

Time out to calm down works well as long as it is not viewed just as a punishment, so make sure it's in a place with calming down activities close by.

I'd also suggest regularly stopping the car at the local park (if there is one) on the way home from school so that the boys can let off steam and get some fresh air after hours spent in the classroom.

Good luck, hope these suggestions help.

Grandma2213 Sun 05-Mar-17 23:41:44

Sympathies GrannyA11i In my case the fighting is between two DGD's. DGS usually disappears when they start but has been known to 'join in' to wind them both up! DGD1 has always had a short fuse (very much like her mum). DGD2 is a more stable personality but is learning behaviours from her big sister and has now begun to snatch and hit her back. I either try to defuse the situation by removing one of them under some pretext or let them fight it out but DGD1 will kick (even in the stomach), punch, throw objects, pull hair out, is generally violent to me as well as her siblings and becomes dangerous when she loses control. She has recently started to scream and yell 'Shut up, Shut up, Shut up' repeatedly so that speaking to her calmly is not an option. If I try to remove her from the situation she kicks and punches and accuses me of child abuse! She throws toys, clothes and wrecks the bedrooms when I do get her upstairs.

She has improved slightly in that episodes are now shorter and she has learned to say sorry afterwards (not convinced that she means it). I tell her when she is calm that I will always love her but I do not like that behaviour. Little sister is often terrified by her and big brother often tells me he hates her.

I could say that her parents' difficult break up could be a factor but she has been like this since she was a toddler. Tantrums could last several hours then! As I said earlier she has a very similar personality to her mum who has been known to react in the same way.

On the positive side, in between she tells me she loves me and is always ready with kisses and cuddles. She is able to play with her sister beautifully for hours but she is so unpredictable.

Just realised how much I have gone on and how much this has upset me. I have brought up DSs single handed and worked with children with behavioural difficulties and autism but feel helpless in this situation. As you say Granny my time with them can be 'ruined' by this behaviour.

Anya Mon 06-Mar-17 07:23:57

Children have to be engaged (in the simplest way) if you are to children control undesirable behaviour. I listen to DH ranting at our GSs sometimes when they start acting loudly or physically. They pay little or no attention.

Children rarely do if you just tell them.

Someone upthread had the right idea. You have to ask them a question that will require an answer thus engaging their attention and making them think. Nearly all teachers know this.