Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Help with DIL

(193 Posts)
grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:54

Dear all,

I come to you after the advice of a dear friend.
I really need your help to make the relationship with my one and only DIL better.

Some background : I am 68 years old married to my DH (dear husband) (dear husband) 70 years old since 44 years and we have 2 children : DD (dear daughter) (dear daughter) 42 who has no children and DS (dear son) (dear son) 38 has a GF 32 that i will call DIL. They have my only grandaughter B, 8 months old, the light of my life.
Me and DH (dear husband) (dear husband) live in Europe. DS, DIL and DGD, live abroad 6 hours by plane from us.

My DIL is clever, beautiful, kind, funny and generous. Well, that was before the arrival of my grandaughter.

It started during pregnancy when she would not take my calls or answer my messages. It was so not her to do that ! She is very talkative usually. She had a very high risk pregnancy and i was worried. She was in bedrest at her mother in Europe while my DS (dear son) (dear son) was still abroad working. So i would call or text her everyday asking some questions about some medical stuff or just to tchat. She would not answer and send a text every 2 weeks or so to write :"everything is fine. Hope your okay!". Almost always the same text.
My DH (dear husband) (dear husband) and I asked my DS (dear son) (dear son) what was happening and he only told us to leave her alone.

Since then, our relationship got worse.
They decided to have the baby in Europe in our town and it has been decided that after the planned c section they will come rest at our place. (Where they live health facilities are very bad, it is a third world country). We were delighted to have our DGD home !

It was terrible as first she said she wanted 24 hours with no visits at the hospital. Then she would not let us take the baby to cuddle or spend time with. I understand she was very possessive of this baby as she has suffered previous losses.
But she would not even talk to us or very little. She was suddenly so aloof and cold.
She spent her time breastfeeding. It seems that she was breastfeeding non stop. Breastfeeding on demand she said. I have never seen that in my life. Or sleeping with the baby !
One time we were at dinner and the baby started crying. She took the baby to calm her but i wanted to help. So i woke up and told her to give me the baby. She just said no. It was really inconfortable and my son said nothing !
I pardon her because she seemed very tired after the birth !
After 3 weeks, my DH (dear husband) (dear husband) and I had to go the the mariage of my nephew in the Caribbean. But when we came back they had rented an appartement elsewhere ! We did not see our DGD during 10 days. We saw her during 1 dinner and then my DIL and DGD left to her mother in another town.
When she was at her mother, DH (dear husband) (dear husband) will text her and she will respond very sporadically. After 9 days without news, he texted my DIL's mother asking some news. Let's thing i know my DIL sends him a very mean text telling him to back off !

We only saw them 3 months later last Christmas and she was still very aloof almost mean.
I admit the mistakes I made during this week but i don't think it was that terrible.
I put an orange in my DGD mouth during one meal. She jumped of her seat and screamed at me "she is exclusively breastfeeded. I told You!". My DS (dear son) (dear son) started to get mad at me too. God it was just an orange !

I said 2 things and my DIL overreacted :

1/ Sometimes I call my DGD " my daughter". My DIL looked at me in the eyes with a scary look and told me "one thing needs to be clear : she is not your daughter, she is mine". I told her as she is my son's daughter, it is like she is my daughter. My son tells me i'm ridiculous. I think my DIL is. It is just to be affectionnate.

2/I told her next time they come, i will put the baby bed near the back of the room. She can't cosleep with her mother at 1 year old ! They have to get a bit detached.
She cut me while i was speaking and said in a non-friendly voice " i am sure the parents have a say in where their baby sleep".

I understand that sometimes as PIL (parents-in-law) (parents-in-law) we can be overbearing and sometimes pushy. But i only see them 2/3 times a year. And i feel like i can't enjoy my DGD. I walk on eggshells with her. I had never spend time alone with my DGD, her mother is always around.
Since they are abroad, we try to facetime once a week but she rarely participates in our talks with my DS.
My son told me she is going to fly to Washington DC (daycare, dear child) (daycare, dear child) for 2 weeks for business. And she is bringing the baby and her sister will come to babysit. I am sad she did not ask me as i do not work anymore. But i told her nothing.

Don't get me wrong, i love my DIL and she is a good mom. But i think she is a bit possessive. I have the feeling she is backing off the relationship and i want to do something.

I have 3 questions :
1/ Can someone explain me the behaviour of my DIL ? She seems frightened by our love.
2/ They are suppose to stay 3 weeks with us this summer. How to make her feel confortable and like her old self ? Talkative, funny and gracious ?
3/ My DS (dear son) (dear son) told me my DGD has a nanny and sometimes they go out at night and the baby stays with the nanny. We have the hope to babysit our baby this summer. How to make DIL confortable with this idea ?

Thanks for your help.

Grandmother M.

radicalnan Fri 17-Mar-17 10:45:04

Is this a spoof post? Really hard to believe someone put an orange in a kids mouth..........

FFS. Get a grip however you parented your babies, that has long gone out of fashion. I had 2 kids then a 15 year gap and every bit of advice had changed in that time.

I was NEVER advised to put an orange in a babies mouth.

Apologise and don't do anything until asked.

Your son and DIL must have the patience of saints to put up with you and your ridiculous behaviour.

Write that girl an apology and ask for another chance and trust me if you persist there won't be many more chances for you.

Love does not entitle you to be a monster. You say she is a good mum let her do things her way. As for texts and Facetime count yourself luky, if you were my MIL I'd be pulling the plug out.

theresacoo Fri 17-Mar-17 10:47:26

I'm sorry but you sound like an nightmare! I'm with DIL!! You are too much. You don't call your DGD your daughter and I understand why your DIL IS mad. Back off. It's her time now not Yours. You don't listen. If you're not careful you will lose out. Sorry to be blunt but think you need to hear this.

grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 10:47:35

Ok very constructive messages i receive !

Yes my DIL agreed for 3 weeks this summer. I hope she will not leave before and i will do my best not to interfere.

I don't know if there are cultural differences. My DIL is born and raised in the same country as me but both her parents are from Africa. I though like in Africa she would be happy to raise her child collectively but it does not seem so.

Honestly i am starting to understand more what is happening and part of it is my fault.

She doesn't even answer my husband text messages or emails right now. I don't contact her anymore.
Since Christmas, she has sent some photos and 2 videos of our grandaughter. We appreciate it a lot as our own son always forget. But she does not text, only photos.

My husband sent her 2 emails this week. She has not answered yet. Our son rarely answers apart our daily skype sessions. It was like that even before he met her so i can't blame her for that.

grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 10:49:07

Oh for the orange : it was just on the baby's lips. She did not eat it. My DIL reacted almost immediately.

jenwren Fri 17-Mar-17 10:49:15

I had to check it wasnt April 1st. In saying that it was my FIL that was interfering after being made redundant he visited on a daily basis. Then I had a new sofa delivered whilst he was there and he proceeded to tell the delivery men where to place it. That was one step to far, and I blew my top.

1 As previously said 'Baby is not yours
2 New rules with each generation
3 Accept its different now and let your DIL enjoy her first child without the added stress of the In laws
4 Find new hobbies
NOt what you want to hear I know, but neither does your DIL want to hear 'in my day'
Move on and enjoy your own life

flaxwoven Fri 17-Mar-17 10:50:33

I agree with previous posts. However much we think we know best, and in our time we did it our way, the next generation also have their own ideas. Because he's your son's baby and your first grandchild it is natural to want to be involved. It is hard to step back and button our lips, but we have to try, for better or worse. It sounds as if your DIL might have post natal depression, but it is natural to be very possessive of her new born, especially if she's had trouble before and had to undergo a C section which takes a longer recovery. Birth is a traumatic time anyway and the couple need to get used to having a new person totally dependent on them. Breast feeding on demand has been the way in the UK for many years. Gone are the days when women stayed in hospital for 2 weeks with babies in the nursery brought in every 4 hours. Your DIL will decide when to start solid food, not you, it is not your business, so no wonder offering an orange caused her to explode! Hope things improve for you.

IngeJones Fri 17-Mar-17 10:50:46

Oh dear. I am of the generation that started our kids on solids at a few weeks old, but I knew I had to obey the instructions from my children for their babies that were going to be exclusively breastfed for several months. I am afraid I can see from their point of view they think you don't want to respect their rules for their children, and that makes them annoyed with you, even though we all understand you're just trying to help and do what you think is best for babies.

Neversaydie Fri 17-Mar-17 10:51:49

Are you from a different culture to your DIL OP? I suspect maybe some of your clashes are because of differences in attitudes to chi-ld rearing -for e.g on demand breast feeding and co-sleeping are so common now I am surprised you claim not to have heard of them (I breast fed on demand 31 years ago in the UK)
I cannot believe you contacted her every day while she was pregnant I wouldnt do that with my own daughters never mind a DIL and I 'm not urprised she found it intrusive .
I think you need to learn to back off and keep your opinions toyourself unless asked for them . Otherwise you risk estrangement

Grantasticpasta Fri 17-Mar-17 10:52:32

You have daily Skype sessions with your son?????? Time to let go a bit! This would be way too much for any of my children!! Are you in business together or is it genuinely a daily social Skype call?

CaliBoingo Fri 17-Mar-17 10:55:44

I'll keep this brief.

I did some quick maths and apparently you gave an orange to an infant who was about four months old...? Seriously? I would get angry with you, too.

Telling the parents where the baby will sleep the next time they visit is overbearing, full stop.

Breastfeeding on demand has been a thing for many years now. I breastfed my son on demand 34 years ago. He's now happily married, runs his own business and didn't turn out to be a mama's boy.

I have no sympathy for your whatsoever. You seem oblivious to the fact that your granddaughter is doing just fine. And she is.

Flowerofthewest Fri 17-Mar-17 11:00:01

Oh dear...I'm with your DIL. Baby is your GRAND-DAUGHTER. ...certainly not your daughter. Poor mum. It's the parents decision to Co sleep not yours. Please back off. Maybe send an apology for your behaviour and then things may become as they should be.

townie Fri 17-Mar-17 11:01:19

As a grandmother myself, I, like others, really found it hard to believe your post was genuine. The story about the orange and calling your DGD your daughter is just extraordinarily bizarre behaviour.

You seem to have got the vet helpful messages from on here now that you really need to back off big time. Also never to interfere with / comment on your DDIL's approach to parenting. That's out of order and bound to alienate her. If you actually Skype your DS every day you actually have a lot more contact with your child than many parents.

And just a tip - when posting on here there's no need to spell out twice in brackets the meaning of DS, DDIL, etc. People on here do know the abbreviations and leaving them out makes your post quicker to write and to read.

Starlady Fri 17-Mar-17 11:01:30

I'm glad that this thread has helped you to understand the situation more, grandmaeurope. Imo, that's the first step to improving things.

How lovely that dil sent you some photos and videos! She may be too busy/tired to text/email/talk right now. But she obviously still wants you in baby's life. Yay!

Dh needs to stop texting and emailing her. He isn't going to get a reply and he is probably just annoying her. Not good.

Starlady Fri 17-Mar-17 11:03:51

But wait... you and dh skype with ds daily and that's not enough?! Really you both need to find other interests!

grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 11:07:07

She was 5 months old and started solids at 6 months old.
My grandaughter is fine i know and my DIL is a good mother.

I am trying to learn about all that. Breastfeeding was not a thing in France during the 70s/80s.

My DIL is all about not letting the baby cry, breastfeeding, cloth diapers and so on. I trust her judgement.

townie Fri 17-Mar-17 11:10:16

Well that's fine. If you trust her judgment stand back and let her get on in her own way, just be ready to help WHEN ASKED.

Cold Fri 17-Mar-17 11:13:53

I'm sorry but you are pushing way too hard and showing a disregard for the new parents - you need to accept that this is not your child and that your DS and DIL are allowed to decide how to bring up THEIR child and it is not for you to question sleeping arrangements, breastfeeding or feeding.

You need to understand that your behaviour may have damaged your relationship with your DIL. So you are going to work hard to regain trust and you need to respect their boundaries.
1. DIL had a very difficult pregnancy which is very worrying for everyone - but you put your own need to be reassured above her worry for her unborn baby and badgered her on a daily basis for updates. Can you imagine how much stress you created for DIL when she was already suffering a high risk pregnancy. I am not surprised that she wanted a day to recover without visitors
2. then you tried to grab the baby out of her hands while she was calming him. Totally unacceptable behaviour.
3. Then there are all sorts of other example of you overstepping their boundaries. Do I understand that you gave an orange to a baby that was only a few months old and exclusively breastfed shock

You keep talking about your attempts to get the baby for yourself without DIL and talk about her interfering and imply she is selfish for wanting to be with her own baby! She is unlikely to trust you with the baby while you are streamrollering your way through her boundaries and wishes.

So if you want to spend more time with them you need to back off and show more respect for DS/DIL so that they feel more trusting that you will follow their wishes.

I understand that you may have certain cultural expectations however your DIL and DS do not seem to share your views.

moobox Fri 17-Mar-17 11:14:01

Daily Skype sessions! I think you have been told many home truths here, without members holding back. That must be brutal for you, and I am sure the fault lies with both sides of the problem, not just your behaviour.
I empathise with you, as have encountered similar problems with the whole DIL/MIL thing, but I would feel smothered by daily skyping from anyone.

GlamM Fri 17-Mar-17 11:16:41

I am very involved in my GS life. My DIL is a first time mum hand has relied very heavily on my support , I do not however get in the way of what she needs, I am extremely lucky that she respects me and values my experience. She asks me a lot of questions and I offer an ear and some helpful suggestions most of which she listens too and is happy when they pay off. To me it's an absolute blessing and I remind myself everyday that if I had the support that she has with both myself and her wonderful wise and fabulous mother I would not have been as frazzled smile. Take a step back and apologise, you could try to explain how much they all mean to you and that the excitement was the cause of your overstep. Leave it with an offer of a safe happy relaxed place for them to visit in their own way on their own terms and that if you are asked you will only be too delighted to help. Stay strong. Best of luck. X

Foxygran Fri 17-Mar-17 11:17:38

I imagine that these replies are not what you expected and some may seem to you to be a little harsh. But it is all good advice and you really do need to take note.

Give them some space! If I had to Skype daily it would drive me mad!

Don't be sorry and sad that you've got the advice you have. Just try to learn from it and I'm sure your relationship with DIL will then start to improve.

harrysgran Fri 17-Mar-17 11:21:58

You really need to take a step back she is not your daughter therefore why say it perhaps your dil is lacking confidence she needs support .not I know better advice from you bite your tongue before it's too late you still have your GD in your life this could easily change

jevive73 Fri 17-Mar-17 11:22:28

Unless you can be objective rather than defensive about what you have been doing which has alienated dil,you won't have a relationship with your dgd.

Candelle Fri 17-Mar-17 11:25:39

Just an observation from a mere male (husband of Candelle). Mothers spend a lot of time teaching , by example, their daughters on how to be a mother and usually, I would guess, the daughter ends up with a parenting style close to that of their mother.

However, no-one teaches a new grandmother on how to be a grandmother. If it is the grandmothers daughter who has had the baby then they are more likely to agree on the treatment of the grandchild for the reason enunciated in the first paragraph. If it is the new grandmother's son's child then there is no history of childcare between the grandmother and daughter-in-law and hence lots of opportunities for friction.

In this situation, it would seem to me, that the grandmother should ask the mother every time for permission to do whatever the grandmother wishes to do and should only offer advice when asked (unless the mother is about to do something which would endanger the child's safety - plunging the baby into a hot bath for example). This, of course, also applies between new grandmother and daughter.

Eventually the new mother will realise that the grandmother is not a homicidal maniac and will tire of being asked and then sweetness and light will exist between then for ever .....or not.

An afterthought. There will be lots of opportunities, when the child becomes a teenager, for the grandmother to get her own back.

Husband of Candelle

grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 11:27:26

Sorry the skype sessions with our son is weekly and sometimes he doesn't answer...

Chloret1 Fri 17-Mar-17 11:29:07

Why does the grandmother need to get her own back? Why is there a need to pitch one generation against the other?