Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Help with DIL

(193 Posts)
grandmaeurope Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:54

Dear all,

I come to you after the advice of a dear friend.
I really need your help to make the relationship with my one and only DIL better.

Some background : I am 68 years old married to my DH (dear husband) (dear husband) 70 years old since 44 years and we have 2 children : DD (dear daughter) (dear daughter) 42 who has no children and DS (dear son) (dear son) 38 has a GF 32 that i will call DIL. They have my only grandaughter B, 8 months old, the light of my life.
Me and DH (dear husband) (dear husband) live in Europe. DS, DIL and DGD, live abroad 6 hours by plane from us.

My DIL is clever, beautiful, kind, funny and generous. Well, that was before the arrival of my grandaughter.

It started during pregnancy when she would not take my calls or answer my messages. It was so not her to do that ! She is very talkative usually. She had a very high risk pregnancy and i was worried. She was in bedrest at her mother in Europe while my DS (dear son) (dear son) was still abroad working. So i would call or text her everyday asking some questions about some medical stuff or just to tchat. She would not answer and send a text every 2 weeks or so to write :"everything is fine. Hope your okay!". Almost always the same text.
My DH (dear husband) (dear husband) and I asked my DS (dear son) (dear son) what was happening and he only told us to leave her alone.

Since then, our relationship got worse.
They decided to have the baby in Europe in our town and it has been decided that after the planned c section they will come rest at our place. (Where they live health facilities are very bad, it is a third world country). We were delighted to have our DGD home !

It was terrible as first she said she wanted 24 hours with no visits at the hospital. Then she would not let us take the baby to cuddle or spend time with. I understand she was very possessive of this baby as she has suffered previous losses.
But she would not even talk to us or very little. She was suddenly so aloof and cold.
She spent her time breastfeeding. It seems that she was breastfeeding non stop. Breastfeeding on demand she said. I have never seen that in my life. Or sleeping with the baby !
One time we were at dinner and the baby started crying. She took the baby to calm her but i wanted to help. So i woke up and told her to give me the baby. She just said no. It was really inconfortable and my son said nothing !
I pardon her because she seemed very tired after the birth !
After 3 weeks, my DH (dear husband) (dear husband) and I had to go the the mariage of my nephew in the Caribbean. But when we came back they had rented an appartement elsewhere ! We did not see our DGD during 10 days. We saw her during 1 dinner and then my DIL and DGD left to her mother in another town.
When she was at her mother, DH (dear husband) (dear husband) will text her and she will respond very sporadically. After 9 days without news, he texted my DIL's mother asking some news. Let's thing i know my DIL sends him a very mean text telling him to back off !

We only saw them 3 months later last Christmas and she was still very aloof almost mean.
I admit the mistakes I made during this week but i don't think it was that terrible.
I put an orange in my DGD mouth during one meal. She jumped of her seat and screamed at me "she is exclusively breastfeeded. I told You!". My DS (dear son) (dear son) started to get mad at me too. God it was just an orange !

I said 2 things and my DIL overreacted :

1/ Sometimes I call my DGD " my daughter". My DIL looked at me in the eyes with a scary look and told me "one thing needs to be clear : she is not your daughter, she is mine". I told her as she is my son's daughter, it is like she is my daughter. My son tells me i'm ridiculous. I think my DIL is. It is just to be affectionnate.

2/I told her next time they come, i will put the baby bed near the back of the room. She can't cosleep with her mother at 1 year old ! They have to get a bit detached.
She cut me while i was speaking and said in a non-friendly voice " i am sure the parents have a say in where their baby sleep".

I understand that sometimes as PIL (parents-in-law) (parents-in-law) we can be overbearing and sometimes pushy. But i only see them 2/3 times a year. And i feel like i can't enjoy my DGD. I walk on eggshells with her. I had never spend time alone with my DGD, her mother is always around.
Since they are abroad, we try to facetime once a week but she rarely participates in our talks with my DS.
My son told me she is going to fly to Washington DC (daycare, dear child) (daycare, dear child) for 2 weeks for business. And she is bringing the baby and her sister will come to babysit. I am sad she did not ask me as i do not work anymore. But i told her nothing.

Don't get me wrong, i love my DIL and she is a good mom. But i think she is a bit possessive. I have the feeling she is backing off the relationship and i want to do something.

I have 3 questions :
1/ Can someone explain me the behaviour of my DIL ? She seems frightened by our love.
2/ They are suppose to stay 3 weeks with us this summer. How to make her feel confortable and like her old self ? Talkative, funny and gracious ?
3/ My DS (dear son) (dear son) told me my DGD has a nanny and sometimes they go out at night and the baby stays with the nanny. We have the hope to babysit our baby this summer. How to make DIL confortable with this idea ?

Thanks for your help.

Grandmother M.

Riverwalk Sun 26-Mar-17 08:17:19

The OP's behaviour does sound over the top and interfering but I think she's seen the error of her ways!

A good friend has a DIL from overseas - early in the marriage and pre-children, the DIL sent a long multi-page diatribe to my friend detailing each and every one of her faults and then refused all contact and attempts at mediation by friend's DS.

My friend is very kind and generous but was/is totally over-involved in the lives of her sons. I can quite see how the DIL felt overwhelmed and reacted the way she did. TBH I thought many of accusations were a bit petty but obviously they must have upset her. I can't remember how long the estrangement lasted, maybe a year, and somehow things were patched up and all is reasonable now.

The OP, like my friend, through no ill-intent over-stepped the boundaries but I hope she manages to achieve a happy outcome.

Starlady Sun 26-Mar-17 10:56:35

Most of this can be summed up in one phrase - disrespect of dil as baby's mother. If she says no to something concerning baby, you need to stop. Better yet, ask first. Until you and dh learn to respect her wishes as dgd's mum - and give her and dgd some space - things won't get better. Work on your attitude.

Tbf, you have a right to invite people to your home. If I'm reading correctly, that's where ds and family were staying when you did that. However, it would have been wiser and kinder to ask dil if she were ready for visitors since she had just recently given birth.

About dh touching her boobs - He must have been trying to touch baby while she was breastfeeding or reaching across her in an awkward way while she was holding baby. Either way, he was out of line.

I'm sorry about the window incident. I'm sure dh was holding baby firmly and didn't mean any harm. Just a proud gf, showing off his new gd! But if dil doesn't trust him because of it, I don't think you people will be babysitting any time soon - sorry.

Obviously, you were both over-excited, as you admit. But you need to rein it in.

I think it's good that you let ds know you want to apologize. He will surely repeat that to dil and it will help. But dh needs to apologize, too - his behavior was as bad or worse than yours, imo. And you both need to make up your minds to treat dil with more respect. Keep the list you wrote down, maybe, so you can remind yourselves of the kinds of things you shouldn't do.

Hope everything gets smoothed out in the near future!

EdithCrawley Sun 26-Mar-17 14:42:39

I've been following this for a while, hoping for a happy resolution, but Jesus, reading the list of things you and your DH did wrong, that's not going to happen any time soon!

I believe that you mean well, and have no malicious intentions. I also believe that you will do what you can to fix the situation with your DIL and son. Will your husband do the same though?

If he is not on board, and willing to apologise for his (actually quite hideous!) behaviour, I see a future without your Grandchild in it for you both.

judypark Sun 26-Mar-17 16:43:07

All alarm bells are going off here. Why would your DH want to take pictures of a baby girl having a bath? Why was he lurking outside her bedroom door on several occasions? Accidentally touching her boobs when she is nursing her baby? I don't think so. I know that I would want to know to whom these photos had been sent to.

Madgran77 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:18:49

grandmaeurope I am not sure if this because you are writing not in your first language but you are giving the impression that you are surprised that your DIL was upset by the various actions taken by you and/or your husband that you listed in your most recent post. Some may well be a misunderstanding but to be honest several of them appear shockingly insensitive and thoughtless. I believe that you didn't mean them to be but they were! I am also wondering if you need to think about how you come over to your DIL when speaking? Tone of voice? Facial expressions? Body language? All such things are important and even more so when one is a new mother, drowning in hormones for a while and feeling sensitive and nervous in your new and scary motherhood role.

Your husbands behaviour sounds very insensitive too ...especially being in a position to accidentally touch your DIL whilst photographing ...that is seriously invading her space! Why on earth was he hanging around outside their room all the time ...what is going on in his head, doing that? I think you need to think about that with him, and also how all of the things on that list might have felt and looked to your DIL even if unintentionally.

I believe that excitement has run away with both of you to a point where you are unable to see clearly or empathise on how
this must have felt to your DIL, but the consequences of that
are potentially so sad for you and you really do need to think carefully how it can be different when they visit. I repeat ...think about how you are coming over as above and your husband needs to do the same. And think very very carefully about anything you are planning and how it might be experienced by others!! Good luck!

grandmaeurope Sun 26-Mar-17 23:03:16

Thanks all for your answers.
Yes i am surprised. Written, all this seems terrible but it happenned during a period of 1,5 months.
judypark, i am shocked by your assumptions. It is simply wrong and not true.
I have a lot to reflect about. I did not know all the resentment my DIL has and i feel sorry for that.

Bibbity Mon 27-Mar-17 08:45:52

You need to tread very carefully. Those saying that this can be fixed may be wrong.
She will never ever get those precious days back with her newborn. She may well look back at what should be the best days of her life and only feel sadness and anger. And that will be directed at you two.
When you visit are you staying in a hotel? I'd suggest you not stay in their home. This may be to much for her. If the visit goes ahead at all. She may need to take some time out.
I'd all have a very stern word with your husband! Dear God who the hell does he think he is?! He'd be lucky his head was still attached if I were her. More likely I'd never allow him to take another picture of my child again!

Madgran77 Mon 27-Mar-17 10:28:52

Grandmaeurope Understandably you feel sorry that your DIL feels like that but do you understand why she does, even though incidents were spread out over time?

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 10:34:43

Perhaps writing it down has helped you to gain some insight into how your behaviour was wrong and seeing the replies on here has helped you (and your DH) to understand that you have overstepped boundaries. I hope your DH will realise that too and you can both take a few steps back and mend fences.

Madgran77 Sun 01-Oct-17 16:28:37

Grandmaeurope Just wondering how the visit went this summer ...I know you were very worried about it and hope things turned out alright.

Sunshine84 Mon 02-Oct-17 16:53:40

I really struggle to believe this post is real. However, if it is, as a DIL, I would suggest you back right off. How can you never have heard of breastfeeding on demand, or co-sleeping? Both are absolutely fine for the baby and are great things for your DIL to be doing so stop criticising them. I'm sorry to say this but it's not all about you. Your DIL is a grown up and is in charge of her own baby. For heavens sake don't wake up in the night and offer to help if the baby's crying, it would drive any DIL mad. Etc.

MawBroon Mon 02-Oct-17 18:41:45

Perhaps it was all an elaborate fantasy, I too found it hard to swallow. Giving a breastfed baby an orange ?
Invading her space? Inappropriate touching?
Weird springs to mind.
I would simply reiterate what I said back in March.
Norah and others have said it better than I could.

Lisalou Sat 07-Oct-17 14:28:20

Actually, not nearly as farfetched as you might imagine. From the context, I suspect Grandmaeurope is French or possibly Spanish. MILs in these countries are TREMENDOUSLY overbearing, telling DILs what to feed their children, how to get them to sleep, where they should sleep, etc, etc, etc, etc. I know, my MIL was Spanish. With the very best intentions, she drove me insane! When my first child was born she visited every afternoon, both in hospital and when we went home. After about three months of this, I told my Spanish husband to tell her that I was perfectly capable of caring for our daughter and to come less often. So she moved to coming every other day. She tried to feed her constantly (she was also breastfed) She grabbed her at every opportunity; My point is, she was not a rarity, or obsessed beyond what was considered normal. It was all in the name of what she thought was right, and born of her love for her new granddaughter. It was a nightmare for me, tho.

Pearlj Wed 11-Oct-17 21:53:25

If the baby is breastfeeding you always need to ask if your granddaughter can have any other food. It wasn't that it was "just an orange" its that you are not respecting the mothers wishes.

I'd say back off with any advice , stop trying so hard (it adds undue pressure and makes you seem needy) and yes ask what they would like to do for their visit and ask if you can help in any way.

As for the comment you want to enjoy your granddaughter without the mother interfering, eek! If my mil ever said that I would not want her near me or my child, you need to work on your relationship with your son and dil even if you have to smile through gritted teeth at some of the choices they make as parents.

Starlady Sat 14-Oct-17 17:47:39

Did they go through with the summer visit, grandmaeurope? How did it go?

Madgran77 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:29:19

PearlJ ...the OP posted several months ago and the visit she asked advice about was supposed to be during the summer. I reactivated it by asking her how it went ...but it might be worth you reading the whole thread as your comments are a bit belated which you probably didn't realise. Easily done - but as it happened because I reactivated the thread, I thought it was only fair to avoid anyone wasting their time. I don't know if the OP will return to comment or not

Starlady Sun 15-Oct-17 08:37:37

Oh dear, Madgran, I see I repeated the same question, basically. Sorry. Didn't see yours till now.

But you're right - no way to know if op will return or not.