Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Supporting granddaughter

(41 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 19-May-17 10:55:27

I am really worried about my third granddaughter . She is taking her A's this summer and so wants to go to Cardiff university . Her brother studied there and now lives and works in Cardiff, her sister is studying there and starts her third year come September. She misses them so much , they have a very close bond, I have no doubt their mothers illnesses has caused the youngest to depend on the older two more than she would if their family life hadn't been messed up.

She had an exam yesterday and phoned me after she finished , she just couldn't answer questions,failed to finish the paper, yet has A in her course work. And this is just the start .

Thank god the three of them and I have a very close relationship so they turn to me if troubled . She is desperate to get to Cardiff , she wants it too much so it is really affecting her.

Her distress is causing me to feel anger for my daughter .

No idea why I am saying all this to you , I know all I can do is encourage, support and love her , and I do, she is a lovely , gentle seventeen year old , she lacks confidence because her siblings did so well in their exams .

The university has informed her they will accept her if her grades don't reach the AAB they required because of her course work but this doesn't seem to reassure her. I fear the rest of the exams and the August results.

radicalnan Sat 20-May-17 10:28:13

I do wonder where all this stress comes from for young people now, we had to get on with exams and the like and no mobile phones to text or ring home and most of us hadn't done much elseeither to prepare us.

I feel for you with family problems to cope with too but really you sound on top of it all although it is a struggle.

I don't think results are the be all and end all I have lnown many young people get places with poorer results than they had hoped for. One of my GD who didn't thinkk she would get it graduates this summer.

Don't let stress take over from excitement some younger people seem to have lost the joy in life tow hich they are entitled.

Swanny Sat 20-May-17 10:29:09

Annie flowers and (((hugs))) for you and (secretly) for DGD3 too smile I am overwhelmed by your strength and ability to keep giving loving support after so many sad events in your life. I hope you get support too for yourself xx

Lewlew Sat 20-May-17 10:36:43

Will be thinking of her and am sure all will be OK, but it doesn't help her having to get on and get through it. Thank goodness for you, her dad and sisters. I hope your DD finds healing some day. flowers

Anniebach Sat 20-May-17 10:42:45

Disgruntled, please, please, please, my reiki practitioner has moved away

Yes I am Oak, and admit there has been Sweet Chestnut times for me too

Anniebach Sat 20-May-17 10:52:16

Oh wGreat, youngest grandchild has now changed her mind and wants an 18th birthday party the week after exams finish , and she would like the same hotel as I arranged for her brother and sister's 18th .But her mother is not to be invited WW3 on the way

Hm999 Sat 20-May-17 10:52:39

Auntieflo Individual teachers see their pupils as individuals, not as statistics fodder

Nelliemaggs Sat 20-May-17 11:34:58

Anniebach, no wonder your grandchildren love you so much. I hope your youngest DGD is feeling a bit more optimistic and I do so hope your DD gets enough help to bring her back to the fold. Such a sad situation but you are a very special grandmother. It sounds as if the teachers think highly of DDG (and you) and will do their best for her.

Disgruntled Sat 20-May-17 16:30:27

Annie I've sent some. Let me know if there are any changes and if/when you want more.
I'm sorry you've had to use Sweet Chestnut. Did Dr B come from near you? He must have been amazing.

Caro1954 Sat 20-May-17 22:02:37

Annie you are one in a million. Your DGC are fortunate to have you in their lives. I hope and pray all goes well on Monday with the school and,of course, in the exams. We're all rooting for you and your family. I was all ready to back Disgruntled up about the remedies but you're on to all that too! flowers x

Laine21 Sun 21-May-17 16:59:38

I can see you moving to Cardiff to be close to all of them :-)

can your granddaughter come and stay with you while her exams are on....just to give her the calm and support she needs to get through the exams?

Starlady Sun 21-May-17 20:49:47

Your posts have brought tears to my eyes, Annie. My heart breaks for you and your family. I will say a prayer for ygd and for dd, as well.

While I'm sad that your gc have had to face all this, I think it's wonderful that they have all pulled together, and that their dad has, too. Some families fall apart when this kind of thing happens. I'm glad they didn't.

And I agree that they are lucky to have you in their lives! How moving that they see you as their own personal "nurture room!" I can see why. God bless you!

Here's hoping ygd does well on her a-levels and that the school puts in a good word for her either way.

Anniebach Mon 22-May-17 11:40:01

My daughters and grandchildren loved Pooh Bear, I still do. I am making granddaughter a cushion, cross stitching the following -

you are
BRAVER
Than you believe
STRONGER than
You seem
SMARTER
Than you think

& LOVED
more than you know.

'

Anniebach Mon 22-May-17 11:47:07

Dr Bach was born in Wales

I may move , I was born and brought up in Aberfan so am at home in the valleys, and there are many areas very near to Cardiff to choose from.

PamelaJ1 Mon 22-May-17 17:23:14

Isn't it strange what we think we know? I always thought he was an Austrian!
So sorry about your worries but one ray of hope is that your GD will pass everything she needs to. It is a fact that boys tend to think they did better in exams than they actually did whilst girls are much more pessimistic. Convince yourself That she is very very pessimistic!
My sister rang me once to ask me to meet my niece after a uni. exam because she had made such a mess of it and would probably have to leave her course. She was heartbroken. She got a first two years later.

Swanny Tue 23-May-17 15:11:24

Annie the embroidered cushion sounds a lovely idea and one I may copy for DGS. He loves watching the Peter Rabbit stories on tv and if he (DGS) is going somewhere new or doing something he doesn't want to but has to (such as get on a plane recently) he can be heard muttering the words of timid Benjamin Bunny 'Rabbits are brave, rabbits are brave' smile