Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What do your grandchildren want to do when they grow up?

(63 Posts)
gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:17

Chatting with my three yesterday tea time, we got onto the subject of what they want to do when they grow up.

DGD 1 (aged 11) very bright, sensible, sporty but quiet and timid. Wants to be a Contortionist (??) or a Scientist or a Show jumper.

DGD 2 (aged 9) very bright, funny, very sporty, arty and witty. Wants to be a gymnast or a professional footballer or a police officer or a jockey or a cartoonist.

DGS (aged 7) IS going to be a professional footballer and after he has finished (when he's about 37 his dads age which he must think is ancient) he will be a firefighter or a police officer.

Funny how they think isn't it?

Juliette Thu 22-Jun-17 12:36:38

sweetpea DGS2 is off to Harrogate in October to fulfill his long held dream of driving a tank, just think 16 is so young to be taking such a massive step. Hey ho I'm only the nana.

DGS1 had wanted to be an architect since he could hold a pencil and realised that there was a job he could do that allowed him to design and draw buildings. Last year, first year of A levels, he 'fell in love' and is about to become the third generation of this family to falter at the last hurdle before uni.

Reading through this it sounds a very negative post, it's not really, both boys are healthy and happy and I am happy for them but........

Gaggi3 Thu 22-Jun-17 12:32:10

8 year-old DGS - scientist, inventor, or a researcher into dragons.

3 year-old DGD - doctor

3 year-old DGS - probably a digger driver, crane operator or similar.

Craftycat Thu 22-Jun-17 12:28:26

GS1(13)- Something to do with animals
GS2(11)- Something in sport- preferably football
GD1(9)-Hairdresser
GS3 (8)-Design Minecraft games
GD2 (6) - Not a clue but it must involve dancing
GS4 (3)- Wants to be Bob the Builder as long as he can have Marshall from Paw Patrol as his best friend.

I think GS4(3) the most likely to make it to his dream!!

sweetpea Thu 22-Jun-17 12:02:33

8 year old GS - wants to go to Welbeck College (has already sent an enquiry!) then join the Army, play cricket for Kent
7 year old GD - teacher or librarian
Just 6 year old - wanted to be a doctor, now wants to be a paelentologist
(?spelling)

Shame we won't be around to see what they end up doing/being - we wish for them long, happy and fulfilled lives.

W11girl Thu 22-Jun-17 11:58:23

I'm not a grandmother, but I read many of your posts, and I could almost hear people thinking "in your dreams" (in a nice way). However, my son always wanted to be a writer, I had to admit I thought you can't just do that! At age 4 he could type, and play musical instruments. He never gave up on his dreams. At 44 he is still writing for a living! With the right encouragement and support, I'm sure many of your children will stick to their childhood convictions. Good luck all.

HillyN Thu 22-Jun-17 11:55:12

Here she is!

Nandalot Thu 22-Jun-17 11:52:41

6 year old DGS said yesterday he was red to be a train or bus driver. Fairly typical but then added or a cleaner. He hates putting toys away but will gladly join in the dusting ( at his convenience) and helpfully dusted ( smeared) the TV screen with a polish soaked duster. His efforts are still there for all to admire.

HillyN Thu 22-Jun-17 11:51:03

GD aged 4 was really excited to sit in the cab of the fire engine at the school fete and try on the helmet. I asked her if she would like to be a firefighter when she grew up. She replied 'I really want to be a doctor but maybe I could do both?' Maybe, who knows...

Kim19 Thu 22-Jun-17 11:43:36

Thank you, Anya. I've taken a copy of that. Lovely...........

Rosina Thu 22-Jun-17 11:07:03

My dear GS has no idea yet - he is eighteen and just finishing A levels so I hope he does start having thoughts about it! The other GC are tiny so haven't expressed any of the very amusing ideas here - I loved the electric policeman - and the mermaid!
The most depressing one I heard was from a colleague who asked her class what they wanted to do when they grew up. One little boy piped up that he wanted 'To get the highest possible level of benefit'.

Worlass Thu 22-Jun-17 11:01:26

GD (29) always wanted to be a clown in a circus. Is now proud Mum of 1yr old DGGS.

Flossieturner Thu 22-Jun-17 10:49:08

My son told his 5 year old that if he worked hard at school, he could have any job he wanted.

He said he wanted to be a Mermaid.

radicalnan Thu 22-Jun-17 10:45:14

One of mine is just graduating with a degree in special effects for films....

One has been gunnery technician in the Navy

One a nurse

One, who looks like a film star runs a cafe much loved by older people.........

Others all still quite young and certain in the belief they may yet be fairies or Elsa.........

All girls so far, Ted isn't old enough to express a preference yet but professional curtain climber has to be among his choices somewhere.

blueberry1 Thu 22-Jun-17 10:40:08

18 yr old-always wanted to be a paleantologist since he was small.Not so sure now and taking a year out of education after his A levels.

16 year old-wants to be a games designer.

8 yr old-has no idea but loves outdoors and animals so maybe a conservationist?

MamaCaz Thu 22-Jun-17 10:25:25

DGS, nearly 6, a wildlife explorer

Dgd, 4, has just gone from wanting to be a tooth fairy to wanting to be "like Elsa, in shows" (inspired by Frozen, obviously!)

Anya Thu 22-Jun-17 10:20:33

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 10:19:55

Anya, that song makes my cry, I agree with the sentiment. smile

annodomini Thu 22-Jun-17 10:15:44

DGD 14 - an Army officer

DGS 13 - video games designer

DGS 11 - footballer (of course)

DGS 9 - goodness knows! He's good at sports, tall, strong and fast on his feet.

Anya Thu 22-Jun-17 10:10:56

Anyone know the song 'I hope you dance'?

That's what I want for mine sunshine

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Jun-17 09:48:27

Great question!

DGD aged 10 - a midwife

DGS aged 7 - a robotics engineer or inventor

DGS aged 5 - a car designer ( or postman because they get to wear shorts to work!)

DGS aged 3 - no idea and that's just as it should be smile

harrigran Thu 22-Jun-17 09:26:57

GD 11 wants to be a fashion designer, she is always sketching.
Youngest used to just want to be a princess but now seems to think she can be anything she wants to be, and I don't doubt her.

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 00:10:54

So the next one will be a GD Auntieflo smile

Last I knew the oldest GS 8 wanted to follow daddy into the army. Dad has left the army and is now an HGV driver so that's what he now wants to do.
Younger GS 5 changes his mind on a daily basis.

Auntieflo Wed 21-Jun-17 19:23:52

GS (27) barber
GD(26) imminent mum to be
GS (25) sports physio
GD(24) new mum to 4 month old
GS (22) big banker money guru, (looking after his gran) smile
GD(20) trainee midwife
GS (3 almost) ruler of the world

M0nica Wed 21-Jun-17 19:00:42

DGS, a week off 7, wants to work with animals but does not want to be a vet and I will not be surprised if that is what he does. He has been obsessed with animals since he could stand up and chase a duck and already has an encyclopedic knowledge about them. Even his teachers defer to his knowledge when information about animals is part of a lesson.

DGD, 10, wants to be a ballet dancer.

Elrel Wed 21-Jun-17 18:42:00

Act/produce, (18); design rollercoasters (12); astronaut or David Attenborough (6)