Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What do your grandchildren want to do when they grow up?

(62 Posts)
gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:17

Chatting with my three yesterday tea time, we got onto the subject of what they want to do when they grow up.

DGD 1 (aged 11) very bright, sensible, sporty but quiet and timid. Wants to be a Contortionist (??) or a Scientist or a Show jumper.

DGD 2 (aged 9) very bright, funny, very sporty, arty and witty. Wants to be a gymnast or a professional footballer or a police officer or a jockey or a cartoonist.

DGS (aged 7) IS going to be a professional footballer and after he has finished (when he's about 37 his dads age which he must think is ancient) he will be a firefighter or a police officer.

Funny how they think isn't it?

hildajenniJ Wed 21-Jun-17 15:40:09

My granddaughter age 10 has wanted to be a hairdresser since she could talk. Nowadays this has developed into hair and makeup plus prosthetics in the film industry.
Grandson 1 wants to be a farmer. As for grandsons 2 and 3, they are not sure, although the youngest talks about being an electric policeman. confused

gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 15:48:17

I wonder what he thinks an electric policeman does hilda? smile

Funnily enough I could see either of my DGD's as farmers as they are both very at home working in the stables and are not put off by anything. They both went to witness the birth of a friends foal recently and weren't bothered in the slightest. Thoroughly enjoyed it and gave me every gory detail . Definitely not for DGS though as he hates dirt and even at 7 is a bit of a tidy freak.

kittylester Wed 21-Jun-17 15:54:56

It changes day to day with my dgc.

DD1 wanted to be a hairdresser or work in 'the paying kiosk at the garage - where the sweets are'.

gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 15:58:28

I always fancied bleeping the stuff through a checkout... seems pretty straight forward and relatively stress free.

Anniebach Wed 21-Jun-17 16:02:38

Mine are on the way to their career choices, well the youngest will be if she gets her grades in August.

TriciaF Wed 21-Jun-17 16:28:21

The only 2 that I know about are both girls.
The eldest is already nearly 21, she has followed her Dad by doing an apprenticeship as an industrial electrician. She has a job now and everyone is proud of her.
The other girl is 13 and very sporty. She wants to do sports studies at university. And I expect she will, knowing how determined she is.
I don't know about the others - eldest boy 15,isn't at all sporty but is doing well at school. The others in India, who are younger, are having a good education, but sadly I haven't seen enough of them to find out what their interests are.

gillybob Wed 21-Jun-17 16:59:34

My three change their minds so often its hard to keep track. Mind you they are all still very young so plenty time yet.

They are all sporty so whatever they do I hope they continue to enjoy their sports.

shysal Wed 21-Jun-17 17:34:16

GS1(18) - wants to dance on the west End stage, going to Uni to study musical theatre dance in September.

GD(16) - Something in fashion. Going into the 6th form in Sept.

GS2 (12) - Footballer.

GS3 (17) - Wants to join GCHQ. Hoping to learn some Russian soon. Currently in 6th form.

GS4 (15) - Rock guitarist or music technician.

GS5 (13) - Footballer.

granzilla Wed 21-Jun-17 17:48:18

4 year old DGD informed her 7 year old brother that she wanted to be a princess.
He informed her that she couldn't as you have to be born to it or marry a prince.
She replied that in that case 'I'll be a Queen then'.
He just rolled his eyes.smile

tiggypiro Wed 21-Jun-17 18:20:48

My 3yr old wants to be "a fire motorbike really fast racing driver". His 7yr old brother wants to be an architect.

Galen Wed 21-Jun-17 18:20:58

Dinosaurs

Elrel Wed 21-Jun-17 18:42:00

Act/produce, (18); design rollercoasters (12); astronaut or David Attenborough (6)

M0nica Wed 21-Jun-17 19:00:42

DGS, a week off 7, wants to work with animals but does not want to be a vet and I will not be surprised if that is what he does. He has been obsessed with animals since he could stand up and chase a duck and already has an encyclopedic knowledge about them. Even his teachers defer to his knowledge when information about animals is part of a lesson.

DGD, 10, wants to be a ballet dancer.

Auntieflo Wed 21-Jun-17 19:23:52

GS (27) barber
GD(26) imminent mum to be
GS (25) sports physio
GD(24) new mum to 4 month old
GS (22) big banker money guru, (looking after his gran) smile
GD(20) trainee midwife
GS (3 almost) ruler of the world

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 00:10:54

So the next one will be a GD Auntieflo smile

Last I knew the oldest GS 8 wanted to follow daddy into the army. Dad has left the army and is now an HGV driver so that's what he now wants to do.
Younger GS 5 changes his mind on a daily basis.

harrigran Thu 22-Jun-17 09:26:57

GD 11 wants to be a fashion designer, she is always sketching.
Youngest used to just want to be a princess but now seems to think she can be anything she wants to be, and I don't doubt her.

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Jun-17 09:48:27

Great question!

DGD aged 10 - a midwife

DGS aged 7 - a robotics engineer or inventor

DGS aged 5 - a car designer ( or postman because they get to wear shorts to work!)

DGS aged 3 - no idea and that's just as it should be smile

Anya Thu 22-Jun-17 10:10:56

Anyone know the song 'I hope you dance'?

That's what I want for mine sunshine

annodomini Thu 22-Jun-17 10:15:44

DGD 14 - an Army officer

DGS 13 - video games designer

DGS 11 - footballer (of course)

DGS 9 - goodness knows! He's good at sports, tall, strong and fast on his feet.

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 10:19:55

Anya, that song makes my cry, I agree with the sentiment. smile

Anya Thu 22-Jun-17 10:20:33

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

MamaCaz Thu 22-Jun-17 10:25:25

DGS, nearly 6, a wildlife explorer

Dgd, 4, has just gone from wanting to be a tooth fairy to wanting to be "like Elsa, in shows" (inspired by Frozen, obviously!)

blueberry1 Thu 22-Jun-17 10:40:08

18 yr old-always wanted to be a paleantologist since he was small.Not so sure now and taking a year out of education after his A levels.

16 year old-wants to be a games designer.

8 yr old-has no idea but loves outdoors and animals so maybe a conservationist?

radicalnan Thu 22-Jun-17 10:45:14

One of mine is just graduating with a degree in special effects for films....

One has been gunnery technician in the Navy

One a nurse

One, who looks like a film star runs a cafe much loved by older people.........

Others all still quite young and certain in the belief they may yet be fairies or Elsa.........

All girls so far, Ted isn't old enough to express a preference yet but professional curtain climber has to be among his choices somewhere.