Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler Fussy Eaters

(57 Posts)
wildswan16 Wed 23-Aug-17 09:12:55

Is she drinking an awful lot of milk? I understand how you will all be pleased to see her at least taking the milk, but it does fill them up quite a lot.

whitewave Wed 23-Aug-17 09:09:34

This too will passsmile lots of good suggestions though.

Iam64 Wed 23-Aug-17 09:00:27

We made faces from various bits of food and found the small children are their way round eyes, noses, mouths and so on. Yoghurts and cream cheeses are a good way to get some calcium into little ones. warm milk with a spot of powdered chocolate goes down well here. I know lots of those things have sugar in them but I feel its important to encourage enjoyment of food.

NanaandGrampy Wed 23-Aug-17 08:09:00

She's old enough now to help with food so I would start there. Encourage her to taste as you go, start with things like baking, or making teeny tiny sandwiches with soft fillings.

Maybe yoghurt, fruit, all cut up super small. We had tea parties when one of our grandchildren was a poor eater and it wasn't about getting volume down them but tasting things.

Some nutritionist believe that a schedule is important and that children should know that they eat at certain times of the day. That's certainly true of one of our grandchildren.

I think also , use 'sneaky' ways of getting them to eat- my daughter makes fruit juice icelollies for instance or chocolate milk lollies.

Good luck !!

ninathenana Wed 23-Aug-17 07:28:09

The lack of replies is probably due to the timing of the post. There are not many people around at 01.59 UK time ?
I have no words of wisdom but I don't recognise either name so welcome both. I'm sure you will get more replies later.

Gayliamelon1 Wed 23-Aug-17 03:54:19

I have not got any tips but just wanted to say I can't understand why you have had no replies so here I am to say hello.
I am with you all the way, my grandchild is extremely small . I could only suggest that you see a nutritionist who are extremely helpful and have some wonderful tricks that I have never thought of .
Health checks are essential to make sure she is not lacking too much in vital minerals and vitamins etc.
I am sure she has checks already with such a caring family looking out for her.

Libralady Wed 23-Aug-17 01:59:46

Can anyone give advice please. My darling GD was born at 33 weeks weighing 3 lbs 6 ozs. She is 22 months old now and weighs just under 24 lbs. On the days I help with childcare, feeding her is a nightmare. She is on cows milk most of the time and shows little interest in food, so takes in very little, if anything. She feeds herself rice krispies for breakfast but apart from milk, eats very little else and this is the pattern with her mum and anyone else who sometimes looks after her. She has trouble with sore gums due to teething which is ongoing for now, but really has a poor/no appetite for anything other than milk. Any tips to encourage her would be helpful.