Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Concern about autism in 10 month old

(55 Posts)
Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 10:33:07

Just wondering if any other grans have had this concern? My 10 month old grandson seems very independent, rarely smiles or interacts with his parents and does not appear to be imitating behaviour. His development is normal in all other aspects - crawled from 6 1/2 months, sits up unaided and babbles (although not a lot). Don’t want to alarm my daughter by saying anything but I know that she is a little bothered too. Any advice? Thanks

Baggs Wed 22-Nov-17 16:26:18

'People' may, mamie, but I am not 'people'. I did not say anything untoward and I resent your implication that I did.

Besides, Asperger's covers a spectrum too and some of its manifestations are very, as in VERY, difficult to live with. That I know in abundance but I still don't regard it as altogether a handicap.

Which is all I was saying.

Baggs Wed 22-Nov-17 16:32:21

Fennel, could it be that it is simply recognised now whereas it wasn't before? I'm sure that's a factor if not the whole story.

M0nica Wed 22-Nov-17 16:38:36

NelliemoserI obviously did not make myself clear. What I was trying to say was that while Aspergers MAY have the advantages Baggs mentions, and I am not convinced, these advantages are more than outweighed by the disadvantages.

We have a family member with Aspergers at the severe end of the spectrum, who is also learning disabled. I can assure you if they have any special advantages and skills we have all failed to see them and it is the problems this disability causes them and everyone round them that we notice.

Deedaa Wed 22-Nov-17 21:25:04

When GS1 was diagnosed the psychologist explained to him that he had skills that ordinary people hadn't, a great eye for detail and an exceptional memory. She explained that while he could learn a lot of the social skills he needed, ordinary people couldn't "learn" his skills. He was quite happy with that idea. He can be hard work of course and his very literal interpretation of things can cause complications, but we cope.