Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Re-assurance and advice needed re granddaughters behaviour

(82 Posts)
kaycee Sat 20-Jan-18 14:05:22

Hello - new to this, never posted on a forum before so please excuse the longevity of the post.
I think I know the answer to this but really need some assurance.I have two lovely granddaughters 4 and a half and 18 months. The oldest started school in September and has had a lot of changes - new home, new sibling and starting school, she was previously in nursery full time as is her sister as both parents work full time. We live about 40 mins away and collect her from school one day a week - the rest of the week she does after school club which she dislikes. We also help out whenever extra care is needed. Over the last two months she has changed. She sometimes gets into a rage, doesn't like us anymore or want us to pick her up ever again. She wants her mum, dad or other nan and granddad to collect her (they live about 3 hours away and stay once a month for a few days). What concerns me is the ferocity of her rage - she becomes quite violent, kicking and punching us. I can always calm her down, I tend to ignore her behaviour and talk quietly and tell her I love her, but still worry about the violent reaction. She tells me when I ask that she doesn't hit mummy or daddy or her sister or other grandparents or friends (I must admit I haven't asked my son if she does).
I know (and hope) this is just a phase but just wanted to check if others experience this with any of their grandchildren - will it pass? Also any tips for dealing with these episodes would be really appreciated. She is normally such a delightful child and we get on really well most of the time. Thank you.

kaycee Mon 22-Jan-18 17:57:41

I was about to say I feel so much better after your comment justrolljanet but you've scared me now Wally!
Collecting her Wednesday and mum and dad have had a chat with her so will see how it goes picking her up etc.. Many thanks to all.

Wally Mon 22-Jan-18 18:56:11

Kaycee So sorry I didn't mean to scare you just to make you aware.

kaycee Tue 23-Jan-18 11:11:00

No worries Wally - I realise you have good intentions, I will keep my eye on the anger.

Granarchist Tue 23-Jan-18 11:48:21

Food - food - food - my mother gave me this advice 40 yrs ago when my two were poisonous after being picked up from school - so I took sandwiches in the car (25 minute drive home) - the problem vanished - worth a try and others have also suggested it - good luck.

Bridgeit Tue 23-Jan-18 12:08:59

Absolutely agree with everything you have said GabriellaG
I also have looked after children who rarely got to spend any quality time with their parents.
Lots of people have ’careers’ now. A lot of mums from our era ‘worked’ at jobs that fitted around school times etc.
I am not criticiseing those who need to work, but surely the cost of child care defeats the object.

petra Tue 23-Jan-18 13:19:06

Granarchist
Absolutely!!
We discovered this some time ago. We make sure that the first thing we do when she comes out of school is to hand her food ? Otherwise it's the child from hell.