Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What is a granny?

(27 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 15-Sep-18 14:04:56

With love to all my grandchildren! ?
(Hope you can read it )

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Sep-18 14:21:22

MawBroon, that has bought a tear to my eyes.

How innocent and totally true ????

agnurse Sat 15-Sep-18 16:59:29

Reminds me of a poem my parents gave to my grandmother. Grandma gave it to Mum on the birth of my nephew because she said Mum was the grandma now grin

Walking With Grandma

I like to walk with Grandma
Her steps are short like mine
She doesn't say "Now hurry up"
She always takes her time.

I like to walk with Grandma
She sees things as I do
Wee pebbles bright, a sunny cloud
Half-hidden drops of dew.

Most people have to hurry
They do not stop and see.
I'm glad that God made Grandma
Unrushed and young like me.

gillybob Sat 15-Sep-18 17:02:45

Oh thank you for sharing that Maw it has made my day smile

Brunette10 Sat 15-Sep-18 17:12:23

Thank you for sharing these lovely words for all grandmas. Fair cheers you up and puts a big smile on your face. We all love being a grandma.

grannyqueenie Sat 15-Sep-18 18:05:05

I think I want one myself... a granny I mean!!

NonnaW Sat 15-Sep-18 19:31:43

I love the fact that grannies don’t have children of their own!

Lovely, innocent words, summing up a child’s love for grandparents

sodapop Sat 15-Sep-18 19:42:15

That is lovely Maw made my day too.
Love the poem as well agnurse children do see things differently.

BBbevan Sat 15-Sep-18 19:51:57

Isn't that just spot on and so lovely. Thank you so muchMaw

Synonymous Sat 15-Sep-18 20:01:27

Just lovely - both. smile

I always worried that I am not as active as the 'other' granny until the littlest GC said they were so glad that they always knew where I was and I always had time to talk and cuddle as well as being good at stories. Very precious!

lemongrove Sat 15-Sep-18 20:48:22

Haha, that’s nice Maw?
We are good for something after all.
It took our oldest DGS a long time to realise fully that his mother was our little girl grown up.

Synonymous Sat 15-Sep-18 23:11:37

* lemongrove* I can remember when our GC realised that their daddy was our little boy all grown up and the look of sheer amazement. You could see the cogs whirring and then a question, "Will daddy be grandad one day and will granddad be someone else?" So funny!

Apricity Sun 16-Sep-18 00:38:01

Synonymous I also recall the stage in grandchildren's development when they start figuring out the interrelationships of the family around them. In our case it also involved explaining how grandma and grandpa used to be married to each other and were the parents of mum or dad but were now married to another person. Kids are remarkably adaptable and once they got it sorted it was all fine. Now they are older they still find it amusing to contemplate their parents ever having been a child.

JackyB Sun 16-Sep-18 10:35:20

The little girl's words and the poem brought a tear to my eye, too. I hope I can live up to them. I'll try and practise - will be seeing DGS next April, and DGD in a couple of weekends if all goes to plan.

Nanna58 Tue 18-Sep-18 23:22:09

My DGS hasn’t got the hang of family dynamics yet.When DH showed him some photos of his mum as little girl he asked where he was. His grandad explained that he hadn’t been born at that time , to which he promptly replied “ well that’s just silly “ !

Anniebach Wed 19-Sep-18 08:42:26

Lovely,caused me to wish my three were tinies again.

holidaynana Mon 08-Oct-18 07:18:57

I’m going to be a first time nana in the New Year and this has certainly given me something to aim for, although I’m hoping I’m young enough to still play hard and run!

Bathsheba Mon 08-Oct-18 09:36:27

How did I miss this when it was first posted? Wonderful! Thanks Maw, that little essay brought a tear to my eye. Oh the innocence of children - they see everything with such simple clarity.

LullyDully Mon 08-Oct-18 17:53:58

I am a Granny.

callgirl1 Mon 08-Oct-18 18:06:25

Sorry Maw, and Agnurse, I`ve only just spotted this thread, and those definitions are just lovely.

Starlady Mon 15-Oct-18 03:05:00

Ohhhh....

Starlady Mon 15-Oct-18 03:07:13

And yes, I remember when my dds first found out their gps were our parents, etc. - how amazed they were! Same with my dgc when they first realized their mum was once my "little girl," and so on. Sooo sweet!

Mycatisahacker Wed 17-Oct-18 12:16:09

Aw lovely. Can’t wait until my grandchildren are at this age.

neelyang77 Mon 21-Mar-22 10:57:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

neelyang77 Mon 21-Mar-22 11:01:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.