Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Saying words wrong

(97 Posts)
lynda1965 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:56:30

I was waiting for my youngest GS 22 months old to start calling me "Granny" with baited breath.

At last he is, but it's coming out "Fanny" blush.
Oh dear be careful what you wish for as they say.

agnurse Mon 24-Sep-18 19:18:53

One of my brothers used to say "Up down" when he wanted someone to pick him up and carry him.

My kid has had a couple of unusual word incidents. One time she asked me if it was okay if she brought a Wuzzkin over. I asked what in the heck was a Wuzzkin. Turned out she meant Webkinz (stuffed animals that come with a code you can use on a web site so you can get a "virtual pet" that resembles your physical stuffed animal). Hubby said that when she was little if you asked her to get into her stroller she'd have no idea what you meant, but if you said to get into her pushchair she'd do it happily. (We don't use the term "pushchair" in Canada. It's a stroller. A traditional pram would be a baby carriage or a baby buggy.)

One time on Mumsnet we were having a discussion about this. One mum said her kid answered the door and said to someone (I think it might have been a police officer) "Daddy's dead in bed and Mum's in the kitchen cutting off heads with a sharp knife". NOT what you want a stranger to hear! (Turned out Daddy was "dead to the world", i.e. sleeping, and Mum was cleaning fish in the kitchen; she'd bought them whole so had to cut off the heads and debone them).

PECS Mon 24-Sep-18 19:41:44

My DH is Gaga as a result of DGC1 mis-saying grandpa!

My brother sang the Christmas carol 'Once in royal David Sooty stole a candle shed'

My mum wore Dockies which I thought were high heels but came from the phrase 'Shoes & Stockings'

MiniMoon Mon 24-Sep-18 20:12:31

Two of my GS's have speech problems and call me Dandy instead of granny which I quite like.
When DD began talking she said pillercatter for caterpillar. Mitsubishi was misterfishy which it still is.

cornergran Mon 24-Sep-18 21:24:51

Things don’t cool down in our house they warm down, courtesy of one of ours. I can see the logic.

Grannyknot Mon 24-Sep-18 22:11:08

daddima that made me laugh (your post from yesterday).

My daughter reported to me that her dad had gone to see "Pierced Ears" ... I was puzzled until he explained his client was a company called Perseus.

Bathsheba Mon 24-Sep-18 22:19:03

Our DD used to get 'eggcups' - to this day we still refer to hiccoughs as eggcups!
And on that subject, she often used to ask for bald eggs for lunch grin

Nandalot Mon 24-Sep-18 22:44:28

When we get tired out walking, ‘our eggs lake’. This has lasted 45 years since it was said by my DS when 5.

Deedaa Mon 24-Sep-18 22:48:39

It was many years before we all stopped talking about going to the hostible. That was the longest lasting of DD's words!

harrigran Tue 25-Sep-18 08:42:57

Eldest GD used to complain of having ' tummy egg '.

Kim19 Tue 25-Sep-18 11:11:56

I've a close IL called Fanny. Never been a problem a joke or anything. That's just how it is and she certainly hasn't had difficulty with it as far as I know. Assume she would have changed it if that had been the case. Who cares?

inishowen Tue 25-Sep-18 11:11:57

Just yesterday my daughter was looking for paracetamol and asked her neighbour if she had any. My granddaughter then told someone else my daughter was looking for sweetietablets!

Tamayra Tue 25-Sep-18 11:13:40

You can guess what my Grandson called the ducks It began with an f !!!!

Margs Tue 25-Sep-18 11:21:00

Well, at least he's not referring to you as "Sweet Fanny Adams".......

B9exchange Tue 25-Sep-18 11:22:45

I was Danny to DGS. Very unfortunate when he took himself off out of the shop in the mall, and when I went to retrieve him from the (fortunately placed) security lady outside, and she wouldn't let me have him as she said he was asking for 'Daddy'. Had to get DD to come out of the hairdressers and explain so I could get him back!

Nanny123 Tue 25-Sep-18 11:26:31

My DGD when she started talking kept saying she has sprinkles in her feet - she meant she had pins and needles

lovebooks Tue 25-Sep-18 11:35:32

Re- seagulls (small grand-daughter lives near the sea.) "Why aren't there any sea-boys?"

barbaralynne Tue 25-Sep-18 11:44:59

Our youngest used to make us laugh with par carks, babylirds and loodwouses - it's really catching and 30 years later we still refer to parcarks!

caocao Tue 25-Sep-18 11:46:28

When our son started to speak he called my late FIL Grandpa Jack, we were a little confused as we had always referred to him as grandad.

My MIL gave FIL a dogs life - always on at him about something - all you could hear was "Jack, Jack Jack" as she issued her orders, so that was where the Jack came from, and I could only assume it was grandpa rather than grandad as he had overheard me saying "poor Jack" !

RPClare Tue 25-Sep-18 11:50:40

My little brother heard everyone saying "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" when we went to Mass years ago and translated as "Sust amen" which we all used for years

GeorgieKay Tue 25-Sep-18 11:51:50

I don't know the proper name for the white dandelion seed heads but my grandson calls them flowerbubbles which I think is very appropriate.

Blinko Tue 25-Sep-18 12:01:51

When he was about 18months old, I asked my DS1 hat he would like for breakfast. He asked for knock-knock egg. I interpreted this (correctly!) as a boiled egg, which we smack with a spoon to peel the shell off. He called fried eggs 'splattered eggs'.

I thought his descriptive terms were pretty good.

lynda1965 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:01:51

Oh how funny kids can be. I have laughed out loud at the replies.

What a lucky lot we are.

Love this site, I've had so much comfort reading posts and knowing i'm not the only one who has problems now and again.

Thank you all xx

coast35 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:01:54

My wee grandson called our local bus which was the 44 the horty hoar. We all called it that until they changed it to the 4a. Not as much fun.

Blinko Tue 25-Sep-18 12:02:05

what, not 'hat'

lesley4357 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:02:57

My grandson has progressed from Bum to Grum to Gram. We're getting there!