Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Christmas - the dreaded C word!

(41 Posts)
diamondsgirl Mon 15-Oct-18 12:57:57

Christmas is fast coming at us and the discussion in my family has turned to who has me for the big Day!!
The nearest to me are my two DDs and their families. Last year I had Christmas in my new home and all the family came and we had a great time, ending up laughing at some of the games we played, memories of when DH was alive.
This year I had not mentioned anything and one of my DDs said her mother-in-law and her husband wanted to spend Christmas Day with them for the first time. Then Son in law felt obliged to ask his father, and he accepted, despite some misgivings about how things would go with ex-wife and her husband.
DD said I am more than welcome to go as well, BUT I really can't stand to be in the same room as father-in-law, with very good reason I might add, even my DD dislikes him but tolerates him for the sake of my DGSs. DD knows my feelings and admitted she would be concerned about there being bad feelings, so sent a text (unbeknown to me) to my two other children, asking them to help out.
AIBU to feel somewhat resentful at this, like the problem parent who needs to be accommodated?
My DS has asked me to stay with him and his family, which means staying there for five days, but resented my DD texting him to ask and I am acutely aware that staying with them for that amount of time could be a strain for them particularly as I am on the bed settee, although I absolutely adore my GD's and we are planning to hit the shops on Boxing Day!!
My other DD is in the medical profession and is working Christmas Eve, so going to her would be difficult because of the shift patterns.
So...... a long explanation, but a short question:
AIBU to feel like a square cog, or be a little wary of spending so much time with my DS, or should I stop worrying about the whole thing? Or am I just feeling the loss of my DH, even after 5 years, at this particular time of the year.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-18 16:51:47

Hi all - just swooping in to say that we've spotted a few comments here that really aren't helpful to the OP and seem to be taking the thread in a different direction. Please do be mindful of this.

Madgran77 Sun 04-Nov-18 19:18:54

Diamondsgirl I hope you have a nice Christmas, whatever you decide.
Smileless Nice to look forward to! I've never been to Australia but on my bucketlist! Out of interest, when you fly out do you stop off or go direct. The flight times seem so long!
Mcem We also don't know re Christmas but like you, no fretting, it is just a waste of energy - "whatevers" really! grin
Mawbroon grin

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Nov-18 08:48:27

Thank you mcemsmile.

mcem Sun 04-Nov-18 08:40:24

smileless - a super way to start 2019! Hope the visit (and the rest of the year) brings you joy.

MawBroon Sat 03-Nov-18 19:44:30

LLL three words
Empty room
Fight

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:25:38

mcemsmile

We have friends coming for Christmas and look forward to seeing our DS in Aus. in the New Year.

Patsy70 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:09:23

Diamondsgirl. I understand how you must be feeling, and this time of year can be so difficult when you feel the loss of your DH much more. You seem to have already decided to accept your DS's invitation, and will have a great time shopping with your GDs on Boxing Day. Your DD was being diplomatic, knowing that you dislike her FiL, so don't be too sensitive about the text. Alternatively, you could do your own thing and book a few days away maybe? Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely time.

mcem Sat 03-Nov-18 15:57:39

Not guilty of 'stalking' but as soon as I saw a post from LLL I did wonder when things would kick off!
However, as soon as I spot the first ill-written and lengthy diatribe I now skip the subsequent ones knowing I 'm not missing anything worth reading.
As for Christmas we've yet to decide but whatever decision is reached I 'm not fretting about it.

LiveLaughLaove Sat 03-Nov-18 14:49:28

"LLL your post of 28.10.18 @ 03:59 "So let's simply agree to disagree and continue (key word here) to ignore each on this platform". Yes let's do that LLL....."

But why aren't you actively doing this? Despite agreeing to ignore me from my last truthful post? Which is still up and has not deleted - for a very good reason. Ponder on that!

EllanVannin Sat 03-Nov-18 14:45:03

I too enjoy Christmas alone after having spent years catering for the family and their evergrowing offsprings.
I still buy in plenty just in case of unexpected callers. D is usually working and as my GS still lives at home he could well call in between vising his sister ( my GD ) and her 7 children hahahahaha. She is just putting on a buffet because the children are usually too busy playing and munching through selection boxes to care about sitting down to dinner. The noise is deafening too ! I usually go on Boxing day to take the children's presents.
I just play it by ear but could never make a big deal out of it as it's just another day to me.
The family make their own arrangements I just follow their instructions. It works all round. We see each other throughout the year anyway.

LiveLaughLaove Sat 03-Nov-18 14:42:16

Yes let's do that LLL I mean considering our "opinions really don't mean a thing "to you, you seem to have an awful lot to say about them.

Quite honestly your opinions really don't mean a thing to me. They obviously don't mean a thing to either of you, for you both seem to quickly dish out advice that would only be great if you didn't have trouble adhering to it yourselves. hmm.

And you're absolutely wrong (once again) when you claim that I had "an awful lot to say," about your opinions. Point of correction - I only posed ONE question on both your baseless opinions. One question that was conveniently never answered despite all these feigned claims of concern over the OP with regards to my comments. Why wasn't it answered? Because you know your concern was a sham and more of a targeted attack towards the poster and not the post in itself. So kindly refrain from implying that I had a lot to say about your opinions like they held an element of importance in them that advocated for them to be addressed in depth - They didn't.

Now I can tell you what I had, "an awful lot," to say about without you shoving your own words into my mouth too. hmm. I had an awful lot to say about your manipulative and controlling behaviors, all whilst trying to draw out this negative narrative on any ideas that don't perfectly fit into either of your myopic views. You really come across as two very miserable individuals who probably get some form of self gratification from constantly attacking people (that they don't even know). But carefully start by playing the victim card and making EVERYTHING about YOU and how YOU feel - (even if it has to take away from others like the OP) - so as to avoid coming out as the aggressor that you really are. Your user names alone further depict a lot about the deep seated sadness and anger that you both seem to have revolving around your daily lives. Nothing wrong with "smiling more," or being a "happy gran."

MawBroon Sat 03-Nov-18 13:15:53

It’s called flogging a dead horse Smileless or “Nobody is paying me any attention “. grin

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Nov-18 13:11:58

LLL your post of 28.10.18 @ 03:59 "So let's simply agree to disagree and continue (key word here) to ignore each on this platform".

Yes let's do that LLL I mean considering our "opinions really don't mean a thing "to you, you seem to have an awful lot to say about them.

LiveLaughLaove Fri 02-Nov-18 23:03:09

"just a thought but if a post appears to have "really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way" perhaps that's because the post was inappropriate."

If people are still miserable over the truth several months later, to the extent that they find the need to continuously attack an online stranger, then yes that post must have rubbed these two individuals the very wrong way. And hopefully you both find something that makes you happy as opposed to being so angry and bitter with life. If a total stranger can make you this upset to where you can't seem move on, I can only imagine how much harder it must be for those whom you know in real life and on a personal level. hmm. Both of your opinions really don't mean a thing to me, and neither do they matter one bit. I don't even take them with a grain of salt for I know exactly where they are coming from. Hope the festive season brings joy to all of you. cafe.

LiveLaughLaove Fri 02-Nov-18 22:49:30

"You then appear regularly to imply that anyone who comments on this is "stalking" you and derailing posts!" - lol but you are actively stalking me. Have you asked yourself why you seem to the ONLY ones that always pick on my posts? hmm Its not an implication. Its the truth!

"I'm not joining in another unnecessary bun fight nor am I "stalking" you or anyone else, I just happened to read the OP . " - Really? I'm sure many others read the OP and chose to ignore my comment. You chose to read it and indulge in another "bun fight," for you clearly can't just get over me either. Despite us going over this same issues a few weeks ago. hmm

"Yes do lets move on as you suggest preferably without the unpleasantness that seems to keep arising." - why do you keep saying this despite acting quite the opposite?

WHY DO YOU TWO WOMEN (only you two of course) SEEM TO HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH A COMMENT THAT THE OP LITERALLY AGREED WITH? That's the real question here? Your opinions do not supersede those of others, and just because YOU feel a certain way about a comment doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else feels the same way you do! Even after the OP agreed with it, so who are you to find fault in it when you're not the one in need of support and the one in need of it has agreed with it? hmm

LiveLaughLaove Fri 02-Nov-18 22:34:55

gringringrin You two women clearly have really deep seated issues. It must take an extremely miserable and unhappy person to obsessively follow someone this way, whilst being so upset at them for months in a row thlshock. You're so MAD at me to the extent that ignoring me becomes very impossible, so feel free to indulge yourselves in misery for I won't stop posting, simply for you're committed to finding misery in every way possible thlshock. I still stand by my words on that last post BTW. And nothing you do or say will make me apologize for my true and very honest opinion - nor make me take those words back. Maybe cut offs wouldn't be so predominant if peoole didn't try and impose their feelings and ideas on others whilst trying to manipulate and twist their words into a negative narrative. Sorry to dissappoint grin but I'll still be here........even after some of you tried to get rid of me last time.hmmhmm

Madgran77 Sun 28-Oct-18 09:50:31

"Familiar with posts" is again back to style of writing and comment ...it does not imply "stalkerish behaviour" in my view. The point is LLL that you seem to regularly write comments that appear critical and unpleasant because of how they are written, even when your advice might be helpful! You then appear regularly to imply that anyone who comments on this is "stalking" you and derailing posts! I truly wish that you could see why this keeps happening.
I'm not joining in another unnecessary bun fight nor am I "stalking" you or anyone else, I just happened to read the OP .
Yes do lets move on as you suggest preferably without the unpleasantness that seems to keep arising.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Oct-18 08:58:46

hmmjust a thought but if a post appears to have "really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way" perhaps that's because the post was inappropriate.

LiveLaughLaove Sun 28-Oct-18 04:15:04

diamondsgirl

Hopefully all of this unnecessary negativity (implied or imagined) doesn't take away from your original post.

I still think that your DD was simply coming from a loving space, looking out for you and trying to make sure that you were not alone during the holidays.

Do enjoy yourself in whatever you decide to do!

LiveLaughLaove Sun 28-Oct-18 03:59:34

Smileless2012

"Still, being familiar with your posts, I'm not surprised at the attitude that's been expressed here."

My last post (still based on the truth to date) must have really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, to the extent that I'm still being stalked for it SEVERAL months later. hmm. Good thing is that you're completely entitled to your opinion (as I and everyone else in this world is). So let's simply agree to disagree and continue (key word here) to ignore each other on this platform.

I'm not at all surprised by your response to my post - (whilst conveniently twisting your original response). You ORIGINALLY said that I'd made an assumption by questioning OPs resentment to her daughter? How has this been conveniently twisted to a whole other part of my post that addressed selfishness and the paternal MIL? if you don't think its selfish for one pare to spend EVERY SINGLE CHRISTMAS with a huand and wife who have their own NUCLEAR FAMILY as well as other extended family - then that's your opinion and your obviously entitled to it. However, being entitled to such an opinion doesn't necessarily make another posters comment " thoughtless," whilst making your disdain on it more thoughtful? There're are millions of people in this world that would in fact consider it very selfish for one parent to expect their AC and their nuclear family, to spend EVERY CHRISTMAS DAY of every single year with them. But if this works for you then you're the small exception.

I'm still not sure what exactly it is you want to know that the OP doesn't care to know and hasn't expressed any concern. OPs very own response to my post ," LiveLaughLaove - nothing could be further from the truth."

.....So when you say "The OP's response on 24.10 at 11.25 would suggest that she was "bothered". Now that would be a perfect example of you having a misplaced assumption on how OP feels when she made it explicitly clear about how she felt. But you still felt the need to make more assumptions based on your personal opinions that had nothing to do with OPs post when stating , "Still that's LLL for you." hmm

Just stop fishing for problems that aren't even there for your still upset over a post from several months ago. You can't blame one for making "thoughtless comments," when you're intact being very thoughtless by taking away from the OPs post, and trying to make this all about how you CHOSE to perceive another posters comment, and ASSUMED it to be something that it really wasn't. Solely because the poster and not conten in the post in itself bothers you.

So could ALL of you from that old post simply move on and ignore me? Or maybe start your own post where you can tear out my comments to the bone? So we don't deviate from the OP? I simply don't understand why one would adamantly try to come onto another post and make everything about them, and how they interpret, decipher and feel about a posts that isnt even out them and more especially after the OP has agreed with it and made further elaborated her feelings on it. Or are we now justified to tell other people (including the OP) exactly how they feel?

Smileless2012 I already wished the OP a wonderful holiday season. I'm 1000% sure that moving forward you too can work just a little harder towards ignoring me. Dont see why this needs to be reiteratred as this is a solution we'd come to a perfect conclusion about in that post that's led to this absurd and obsessive stalkerish behavior. I'm therefore quite surprised that you still find it very hard to simply ignore me as I've done you for the past several months.

Now kindly find some happiness somewhere and still being so upset with a total stranger on social media. One that I guarantee you'll never meet. Whoever thought that a post about apologies would create so many upset bloggers. If I still bother you, feel free to inbox me and express any negativity that you may have, but for now let's ignore each other and stop taking away from this posters concern with childish drama. Get over it already!

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Oct-18 22:51:25

Really LLLhmm a thoughtless question whether it is an inquiry or based on an assumption is none the less thoughtless, especially when there was absolutely nothing in the OP to allude to either.

"Sounds very selfish to the paternal MIL in my opinion" is not an inquiry or an assumptive question. It is your opinion and there was nothing in the OP to suggest this is the case.

The OP's response on 24.10 at 11.25 would suggest that she was "bothered". Still, being familiar with your posts, I'm not surprised at the attitude that's been expressed here.

kittylester Sat 27-Oct-18 18:57:01

We have coordinated ours well and now have all or none! This year it is none - well DS1 is on his own but is going to DD1 so we are going away to one of our favourite hotels! In the 48 years that we have been married dh and I have never been on our own so we are making the most of it!!

Melanieeastanglia Sat 27-Oct-18 17:43:10

I think your daughter meant well when she texted her siblings to ask for their help. I doubt she meant to make you feel like someone who has to be accommodated. I don't quite understand why your son resented it but perhaps I have missed something.

How about doing your own thing? Plenty of firms offer singles holidays at Christmas. Obviously, it depends on your financial position but it might solve the dilemma.

I hope the matter gets sorted out and you enjoy yourself, whatever you decide to do.

LiveLaughLaove Sat 27-Oct-18 15:20:07

Smileless2012hmmhmm

Errr.......there's a big difference between an inquiry and an assumptive question.hmm

"Are you sure that you're not more resentful over the fact that they have for the first time chosen to spend Christmas without you?" - Question based on an inquiry

vs.

"Why are you resentful over the fact that they have for the first time chosen to spend Christmas without you?" - Question based on an assumption

Big difference, plus OP didn't seem bothered by it anyway.

diamondsgirl - hope you have a wonderful Christmas.flowers

gmelon Wed 24-Oct-18 17:29:02

Maybe the DD who is working on Christmas eve could do with your help. She's the one I'd go to.
When her shift ends she will be grateful if youve done preparation for the big day.