Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Children's Names

(31 Posts)
JustGrandma Fri 16-Nov-18 21:49:00

So, my granddaughter's name is Ada. My grandma was also called Ada and she was one of the best women to ever have walked the earth so I was delighted when I knew my granddaughter was to have the same name.

I said to my daughter that I loved it but was she really ok with giving a small baby an old lady name? Her reply wasn't what I was expecting. She said - it's not an old lady name, it's a Victorian name, old ladies aren't called that. I said - so what are old ladies called then? She's a nurse and spends most of her time with 'old ladies' and her reply was - you know mum, names like Doreen, Maureen, Joan, Barbara, Connie, Eileen, Elaine, Sylvia, Sonia, Margaret. GOSH!

The penny has now dropped - old ladies were called Ada and similar names when I was little but now I'm in my sixties they, of course, have all died off, and older people are indeed called the names my daughter mentioned.

All the Victorian names are back in force. Little Ada has friends called Elsie, Flora, Florence, Mabel, Nellie, Norah and Ivy.

Grandma70s Fri 16-Nov-18 22:24:48

So true. I would add Jean and Enid. Some of the names that were frequently used when I was young are coming back, though. My granddaughter (6) has friends called Margaret and Ann as well as names none of my contemporaries had, like Charlotte, Florence, Emily, Edith and Elsie. I think there's a Muriel as well.

Once I can see past the ‘old lady’ quality of Ada - I had a great aunt called that - I think it’s a pretty name.

GrandmaFaye Fri 16-Nov-18 22:56:39

Ada is a pretty name.

SueDonim Fri 16-Nov-18 23:34:35

My student doctor daughter has an 'old school' name. It's always a talking point when she's speaking to elderly patients. They tell her it's beautiful and that it's what their mother/granny/aunt was called and that it's years since they came across anyone with the name.

mcem Fri 16-Nov-18 23:37:48

Your grandma wasn't an old lady when she was given her name!

starbox Fri 16-Nov-18 23:52:12

Yes, agree how the 'demographic' associated with a name changes over time- as a 1962 child, my schoolmates were all Julies, Lindas, Sharons, Jackies...all of which once signified 'young person' but now sound really middle-aged/ old!

LullyDully Sat 17-Nov-18 07:59:32

I am waiting for Margaret to come back into fashion but fear that dear old Maggie Thatcher has put an end to that! (It is now spelt Margret by some!!!!!! Thanks to phonics I suppose.)

PamelaJ1 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:02:54

I haven’t met anyone with my name who is under about 60.

Grandma70s Sat 17-Nov-18 08:13:39

LullyDully, I mentioned in my earlier post that my six year old granddaughter has a friend called Margaret. I think it’s on its way back. Nice name.

Pamela, another lovely name. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes back as well.

My granddaughter is called Alice. That would have been very unusual when I or my children were young, but now there are Alices everywhere. I like it.

Lynne59 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:37:23

My 4yr old GD is Elyza. She's got friends at school named Elsie, Arthur and Ena.

I suppose all those "old" names come around again.

Iam64 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:51:33

My name puts me firmly in the period 1947 - 1953.

littleflo Sat 17-Nov-18 09:02:49

Names of the grandchildren’s friend are very interesting and sometimes a little difficult to understand. New names like River, Savanna, Atlanta, Phoenix, Beau, Sky and a horde of European and Asian names fill their chatter.

I wonder when the Patricia, Phyllis, Brenda, Susan, Sheila type names will come back. We refer to Victorian names. maybe our names will be described as Elizabethan.

Sar53 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:14:58

My name definitely puts me as a child of the 1950's. I don't think it will ever come back into fashion. My dad wanted to call me Alma and now my OH's granddaughter is called Alma !
I would much rather see children given old fashioned names than some of the dreadful ones you hear of these days.

tanith Sat 17-Nov-18 09:42:21

I love these older names coming back we have an Evie, Elsie, Florence, Louis and Samuel so much better than some I hear my teenage GD mention about her friends names.

JustGrandma Sat 17-Nov-18 09:58:15

Not to make this all about girl's names, I've just asked my daughter what old men are called. In my day old men were called Cyril, Cecil, Arthur, Alfred etc. My daughter's reply was Alan, Kevin, Colin, Keith, Victor.

stella1949 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:59:48

My name was one of those "old fashioned names" when I was a child. Nobody I knew was called Stella , except for someone's elderly aunt or great-grandmother.

Then Paul McCartney called his daughter Stella, and Antonio Banderas, then suddenly my name was being bandied around in every nursery in the land ! I often hear my name called out in playgrounds when I'm with my grandchildren, so it's obviously still in vogue.

I even have some perfume with my name engraved on the bottle, courtesy of Stella McCartney !

Nannarose Sat 17-Nov-18 11:08:18

I think it happens just as names are dying out, people think 'I want to remember my great-aunt / great-grandfather' etc. and use their names.
I am very interested in different naming traditions from different cultures, and within different families. In my own family, we never name a child 'for' anyone, thinking it might become a burden, or even a problem!
I did however, follow the wise advice to always use a 2 syllable name (as it's most easily shouted!)

Grandma70s Sat 17-Nov-18 11:56:16

Stella1949 -

I had a school friend called Stella, born like me in 1940. It was very unusual then, but I didn't think of it as old fashioned. I thought it was a gorgeous name, especially because it means ‘star’.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Nov-18 11:58:59

I love the name Stella, too.
smile Its beautiful!

Lynne59 Sat 17-Nov-18 12:08:12

Stella1949.......I love your name. I named one of my cats Stella, and she was a very pretty, petite, cute girl. I had her for 17 years

Lynne59 Sat 17-Nov-18 12:08:53

My lovely Stella

MiniMoon Sat 17-Nov-18 13:54:00

I don't think that my name will ever be fashionable again. There is a cartoon series on Netflix that my DGC like, and the heroine is Hilda. They think it's good that she has the same name as Granny! ??

KatyK Sat 17-Nov-18 14:37:08

Hilda is back in fashion I hear. A TV actress has called her new daughter Hilda [smile

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:32:36

I wonder when the Patricia, Phyllis, Brenda, Susan, Sheila type names will come back.
Didn't Frank Lampard and wife Christine call their new daughter Patricia?
Susan - I've always liked that name

stella1949 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:33:29

Lynne59 what a lovely cat ! I'm so glad she has my name .