Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Children's Names

(32 Posts)
JustGrandma Fri 16-Nov-18 21:49:00

So, my granddaughter's name is Ada. My grandma was also called Ada and she was one of the best women to ever have walked the earth so I was delighted when I knew my granddaughter was to have the same name.

I said to my daughter that I loved it but was she really ok with giving a small baby an old lady name? Her reply wasn't what I was expecting. She said - it's not an old lady name, it's a Victorian name, old ladies aren't called that. I said - so what are old ladies called then? She's a nurse and spends most of her time with 'old ladies' and her reply was - you know mum, names like Doreen, Maureen, Joan, Barbara, Connie, Eileen, Elaine, Sylvia, Sonia, Margaret. GOSH!

The penny has now dropped - old ladies were called Ada and similar names when I was little but now I'm in my sixties they, of course, have all died off, and older people are indeed called the names my daughter mentioned.

All the Victorian names are back in force. Little Ada has friends called Elsie, Flora, Florence, Mabel, Nellie, Norah and Ivy.

Floradora9 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:34:11

I know a small Betsy a Sadie and a Lizzie . All these names make me think of downstairs maids.

Jane10 Sat 17-Nov-18 16:26:11

There were 4 Susans and 3 Janes in my class at school.
My grandmothers were Gladys and Mona. Not likely to be many little girls with either of those names around.

shandi6570 Sat 17-Nov-18 16:40:36

My mother had a friend called Mona and from a young age I used to wonder why she was called 'moaner'. grin

lemongrove Sat 17-Nov-18 16:44:22

There’s an Alan Bennett story about a man going into a care home, where the jolly owner says ‘Welcome! You’re our very first Kevin!’
It made me think that, in the future care homes and nursing homes will be full of Kylies, Jacks, Waynes, Madonnas etc.

Jane10 Sat 17-Nov-18 17:13:44

lemongrove grin. Alan Bennett is brilliant.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 16:59:34

lemongrove and they will be cared for by Elsies, Evelyns, Rubys, Violets, Archies, Freds and Normans!