Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Young grand parents

(74 Posts)
Jenk Wed 05-Dec-18 20:51:03

I am due to become a granny in April next year, and of course I'm utterly delighted.

But..... I'll be 43 when she arrives and feel I'm too young to be a granny! Many of my peers are just starting, or adding to their young families and my youngest child is only 7.

Has anyone else been in this position, and did you find it a blessing (more energy to play with grandkids for example) or difficult (feeling old before your time)?

Mumben Fri 07-Dec-18 11:02:29

Both my Nan , when my Mum had me and my Mother , when I had my daughter, were 38 when they became grandmothers, both loved their roles and enjoyed spending time with their granddaughters. I was 45 when my first grandson was born and although I love both dearly, and would give my life for them, I have a very special bond with my first . Just enjoy the times you will have , they keep you young .

Sheilasue Fri 07-Dec-18 11:10:35

I was 55 long story but son who was thrilled to be a dad was murdered by his partner she went to prison and we obtained a special guardianship for her to live with us.

GabriellaG Fri 07-Dec-18 11:27:23

I was 42 when my married eldest daughter had her first child and now I have 3 GGC. I'm 73 and if I could do it all again, I would, like a shot. grin

HannahLoisLuke Fri 07-Dec-18 11:28:03

I was 45 when my first grandchild arrived and didn't feel like being a grandmother either, especially as I became a mother again myself two years later with second husband.
The one thing I wouldn't do was take on any sort of granny name like granny, grandma, nana, grandmother etc. So I became Tatty to three now adult grandchildren whom I love to bits, and always have.
They still call me Tatty and so do their boyfriends/ girlfriends.
One benefit of being a young grandmother/older mother was that my daughter and I spent many long summer days in the woods, with a picnic and the children, she had two more and they all remember those happy days.
We also babysat for each other regularly.

nipsmum Fri 07-Dec-18 12:03:22

I was 60 when I first became a Gran, but I have known several ladies who were Grans at 33 No 43 is not too young. Think of the energy you have in comparison to someone in their mid 60's.Enjoy and don't worry. Love has no age limit.

dragonfly46 Fri 07-Dec-18 12:09:27

I was nearly 70 when my first grandchild arrived and I wish I had been 10 years younger but it is what it is and I make the most of the time I have with them.

4allweknow Fri 07-Dec-18 12:21:49

I had a colleague who was 32 when she became a grandmother. Both were 16 when having a child. Her whole life changed basically having to organise everything for daughter and GD. Wouldn't have fancied that myself. Did though feel being a GP for first time at 63 that being say 55ish would be better.

Trollygirl Fri 07-Dec-18 12:22:05

My mum also died at 48 she never knew my son or our two gorgeous grandsons

inishowen Fri 07-Dec-18 12:29:29

I would have loved to be a young gran. I'm 66 and my grandchildren came along 6 years ago. I wish I was able to run after them. I find babysitting is so tiring.

Kimrus Fri 07-Dec-18 12:30:32

After having my first child at barely 16 then continued on and had 3 more children and all 4 before I turned 21. From that day on, I always told all 4 daughters please don’t make be a grandma before I’m 40. Potentially I could have been 1 by the time I was 32. Needless to say, by the time I hit 40, I had 3, first arriving when I hit 38. I would never change it in a million years and at 62 now, I have 20 DGC and 2 GDGC and have a very special relationship with each and everyone determined I would be the grandparent my children would have loved to have had from their own grandparents. I love it when they visit, sitting around laughing, eating, playing and as their own parent may tell them off, the GC always reply ‘nan’s house,nan’s Rules’ and I backed the DGC up each time. I have always told them as they were growing up, if you runaway from home, I’d rather you runaway to me than anywhere else, and that will stop me from from stressing too much and getting grey hair quicker. Yes, I have had 4 of them runaway from home over the years and yes, they come to me. I’m also a great believer, if you have 1 GC for a holiday, then I will have all at the same time. DH tends to turn white when I eventually tell him they are all coming to stay for ex amount of days lol. You guessed it right, I haven’t told DH, all DGC that still attend school are coming for the duration of school holidays from Christmas Day. It really is lovely to watch cousins play, but I love playing with them too. DGC get to learn to ride the 250cc quad bike this time, real gears not a 110cc semi automatic one, they have all done that, time to let them step up but sssh their parents don’t know yet and of cause I have to allow them to drive the car too. ‘Nan’s house, Nan’s rules’ love it ?

Greciangirl Fri 07-Dec-18 12:36:29

I wish I was a younger granny. I am much too old at 73 to be running around after a boisterous three year old.
But, unfortunately I have no choice.
Dd wants and needs help, so of course, that’s what we do.

The tiredness is awful after looking after him, I feel quite ill sometimes.

gilld69 Fri 07-Dec-18 12:39:34

i was 17 when i became a mum and 38 when i became a nan i was gutted my daughter was pregnant so young as i was a young mum but by the time my Grandauhter arrived i was elated, i also had a 7 year old of my own and my gd adores her uncle shes 12 now and i also have 2 more gc aged 8 and 3 . love it

jmsburnham Fri 07-Dec-18 12:41:56

I was 41 when I became a grandma for the first time - my 5 grandchildren are now 29,28,13,12,and 8. I definitely had more energy for the 2 older girls but more time for the younger ones. Although I then worked full time, I have always ensured that I was able to have them for one day every week and now have a very close relationship with all of them. I'm not a great grandma yet but am looking forward to it hopefully in the next few years and perhaps I will be able to help out with them before they go to school and before I get too old!!
I would also like to say that I am in the happy position of being divorced and therefore able to make my own mind up about how often I see them, unlike my married friends who have to negotiate this with their partners.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 07-Dec-18 12:50:17

Its lovely being a young granny and you still have the energy to do things with them. Holidays, trips out and later sleep overs. Just enjoy the time and don't get bogged down with child care.

jangeo44 Fri 07-Dec-18 12:50:34

I was 52 when my first 2 grandchildren arrived - have 5 aged 22 (2), 20, 18 and 17. Have a great relationship with all of them having been involved all their lives, but really enjoy going shopping with my eldest 22 year old grandaughter and am glad to have become a Nan when I did

grandtanteJE65 Fri 07-Dec-18 13:15:34

My sister was barely 18 when she had her first child and 19 years later she became a gran. She said she was too young to be a gran, but swiftly changed her mind.

Hope you will feel the same. Better a young gran, than nobody's gran!

Nanny123 Fri 07-Dec-18 13:32:13

I was 46 when my granddaughter was born and absolutely loved being a young Nanny. I had far more energy and 15 years on she still sees my as a trendy Nan - I love it

Daisyboots Fri 07-Dec-18 14:19:31

I was 41 when my eldest grandson was born and then about 5 years later adopted a family of 4. Over the years I have had 22 grandchildren and 6 greatgrandchildren. Now at the age of nearly 75 my eldest son and his wife have just presented me with another grandson. They are all special but your relationship with them does change over the years.

Mycatisahacker Fri 07-Dec-18 14:54:03

I was 49 and love being a young gran. I was a young mum too.

Personally I think those starting first babies post 40 must have one hell of a shock but each to their own.

You will love it op it’s a totally different relationship to your own children. All fun and no ultimate responsibility

LisaLee Fri 07-Dec-18 14:57:36

I was 45 when my granddaughter was born. I was both excited and scared, though I wasn't planning childcare for that moment.

Willow10 Fri 07-Dec-18 15:27:26

I had my third child at 42 - then my daughter made me a grandma 14 months later! I think we are all still 25 in our heads, no matter what the body tells us!

Bijou Fri 07-Dec-18 16:25:06

I was 44 when I became a grandma now my grandchildren are 51, 48 and 42.

Lindylou57 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:22:49

I became a Granny at 60. Now 61 and look after my darling girl 3 days a week.Shes 15 months old. Love it wouldn't change it... except on days like today when the little 'angel' turned the washer off mid cycle, poured her cup of water all over herself and the floor half an hour after dressing her. Whilst I mopped that up she grabbed my teacup with luckily half a cup of by now cold tea and tipped that on the floor. O oh she says!. She emptied every toy from her box played with it all, ran like the duracell bunny all round the house, tormented the poor dog, gave me the dirtiest nappy ever that filtered through to her 2nd vest of the day and laughed as she ran off whilst I tried to clean her up, ate all her lunch, another nappy but not quite as bad as the previous one. Wouldnt go for her nap which usually happens about 1.30. Finally crashed at 2.45 which meant she could only have an 3 quarters of an hour because my DD doesnt like her to sleep after 3.30 or she wont go to bed at 7pm. I let her sleep till 4 cos I need a sit down! Then when I did wake her she was as grumpy as hell until Mum arrived at 4.45! I am exhausted but would I change it? Never! Love that child to infinity and beyond.

harrigran Fri 07-Dec-18 18:05:53

I had my first child at 22 and hoped that I would be a granny while I was reasonably young and fit, I was 59 when first GC was born. Three years ago I became seriously ill and I thought that I might not live to see the GC grow up.

melp1 Fri 07-Dec-18 18:52:31

44 when my first grandchild arrived I only worked part time & had him for a full day every week when his mum went back to work - Loved it. Often got asked if I was his mother which I would imagine will happen more, now that couples seem to be starting families later. He's now at Uni and a lovely young man who I'm very proud of.
I've now got 3 more grandchildren and enjoy having them all. Great to watch them grow up - Can't wait for the great -grandchildren (hoping I'm still around).

My own mother had 4 other children, one who was only 2 when I had my first child, so didn't have much time for my two.