Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Young grand parents

(74 Posts)
Jenk Wed 05-Dec-18 20:51:03

I am due to become a granny in April next year, and of course I'm utterly delighted.

But..... I'll be 43 when she arrives and feel I'm too young to be a granny! Many of my peers are just starting, or adding to their young families and my youngest child is only 7.

Has anyone else been in this position, and did you find it a blessing (more energy to play with grandkids for example) or difficult (feeling old before your time)?

Norah Fri 07-Dec-18 19:18:22

I was too young, turned to be lovely timing.

Blinko Fri 07-Dec-18 19:49:49

My own Grandmother was 42 when I came along all those years ago. I was so pleased to still have a GM in my 40s.

Elegran Fri 07-Dec-18 19:58:21

But to become a granny at 43, you must have had your own child when you were quite young - so you can't really object about the next generation doing the same!

Just wait - when it happens you will be so delighted that you will forget that you feel too young for it.

craftergran Fri 07-Dec-18 20:13:06

I was 37, my daughter was 20 when she became a mum

Purplepoppies Fri 07-Dec-18 21:57:56

I was 38 the first time.
Age is just a number. I'm often confused for their mum though. I think because we all look so similar!!!
Just enjoy your grandchild when it arrives. You'll have plenty of energy to help out.
I helped my dd stay awake to do night feeds with the first one!
Congratulations ?

NannyDene Fri 07-Dec-18 22:40:53

Being a Granny when you are young is lovely/ I became a Grandmother in my late 30's. At 57 l became a great-grandmother for the first time. Now at 72 years young l have 6 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. My youngest daughter is only 5 years older than the eldest granddaughter. I make a joke and tell everyone my family works in a stacking system. Family get togethers are fun, and l still feel young. Enjoy it, it doesn't change who you are.

SparklyGrandma Sat 08-Dec-18 01:34:31

I was born when my maternal grandmother was 41, I had my son at 18, married at 17 and my first DGC at 42.

My maternal grandmother lived until I was 50, 10 years ago. I was very lucky to have a DGC of 8 and a Nana of my own aged 89 when she passed in 2008. My eldest DGC was a great great grandchild.

Lyndiloo Sat 08-Dec-18 04:27:19

Just enjoy it! I was 51 when my first grandchild was born, and have seen him grow into a wonderful 21 year-old man. I was 67 when my last grandchild was born. She is 5 now. And I am 72. And I doubt that I shall be around when she reaches 21! (I wish I could be!)

You are, indeed, blessed.

seasider Sat 08-Dec-18 07:39:00

I a a grandma ( which I prefer to nana) and my youngest son was born when I was 45 . My daughter had her first child 20 months later. The boys are very close and were company for each other so it meant I saw lots of my daughter too!

stewaris Sat 08-Dec-18 08:49:52

I was 37 when I became a gran. It took me a year to decide what I wanted to be called. Both my DD and I were married really young. Once over the initial shock I loved it especially as I had the energy to do so much more with my DD's children than with my DS's.

EllanVannin Sat 08-Dec-18 09:48:27

There's a lot to be said for being a nan at 40 give or take a year or two either way. The children grow up without you feeling worn out as you can do so much for them and with them as well as carrying on working and looking after the home all at the same time.
4 of my 5 GC are in their 30's, youngest in her 20's but only one has produced children ( my 7 GGC who I've spoken about on here )
I'm so grateful that I'm still on this earth to see all the youngsters and also to be aware of who everyone is. All being well we're going to arrange a family studio photo next year including my stepdaughter and all her family and if we all " chip in " the price won't be so scary.

Iam64 Sat 08-Dec-18 10:18:44

I became a Gran at 43 , unlike Gabriella who made a point is saying her ‘married daughter’ made her a Gran at the same age, my daughter was not married. Her second child arrived two years later, so I had two not sons in law, two teenagers doing exams and four elderly parents to care for. My husband, like me, worked full time. Busy busy life but full of love. My grandchildren spent a lot of time with us and I often took them to and from school. How did we do it ?
Those grandchildren are now in their twenties and we have four under four year olds. It’s wonderful but our energy levels aren’t what they were twenty five years ago.

Witzend Sat 08-Dec-18 11:20:24

Congratulations! And at least you'll (presumably) still have plenty of energy for them!
My dd had her two at 38 and 39, and I was 66 when the first arrived - energy/stamina levels certainly lower than 10 or 20 years earlier.

cassandra264 Sat 08-Dec-18 15:16:30

Count yourself lucky - my daughter discovered only after the age of 30 that she needed IVF. She was lucky and had my GC - but there can be no more children for her.

My son is still single.

If I had my time over again, I would have more children at a younger age - and maybe then, more grandchildren......

skinnypuppy40 Sat 08-Dec-18 16:10:30

Vanity has no place in your life as a grandparent. It is simply not your choice to become one or not after the fact!
\

Tinny Sat 08-Dec-18 18:29:57

My sister was 41 when she became a Gran. She was a bit shocked at first but she got used to it. Then she became a Great-Gran at 68. I became a Gran just after my 50th birthday, I was a younger mum (19) and had expected my kids to have babies at a younger age. but youngest son was in his late 20's and the other 3 were in their 30's before they had children. Now I am a Gran to 8 and I adore them all.

Jobey68 Sat 08-Dec-18 18:41:30

I had my boys at 21 and 22 and fully expected to a young Nanny, as it happens our first GD came along when I was 49 and my son 28. Youngest son at 27 has just got married so not expecting any from them just yet!
They are exhausting yet enchanting and I am absolutely loving it!

yellowcanary Sat 08-Dec-18 20:06:57

I became a step-gran in my early 30's - I am nanna to my step-grandchildren as I felt I was far too young to be Gran/Granny/Grandma. My late husband was Grampy (their "real" grandparent) - he was about 46 when the first one came along. I have some step-greatgrandchildren (within the last 8 months)now although haven't actually met them yet due to various circumstances so don't have a name from them yet - might be interesting smile smile

Elrel Sun 09-Dec-18 11:09:11

I was mid 50s when my first GC came along, the last of the 7 came when I was 74 and my GGD two years later. Just wish I had more physical fitness and energy.

GGD's GM on the other side was an extremely youthful 34 and really enjoys her new role. Families are full of variation, it's just a matter of accepting a situation and welcoming the new baby with all your heart.

HildaW Sun 09-Dec-18 13:32:53

.....as the song (sort of) goes.....what's age got to do with it?
Being a Grandparent is about the kind of relationship you have.....there are no rights or wrongs....its particular to the people and family circumstances. You just sort of wing it and let it happen - and pretty much ignore what other families do....that way madness lies.

kazzerb Sun 09-Dec-18 15:06:30

My Mum had my youngest Brother at 44. Sadly she passed away just a week after her 55th Birthday. His Children never got the chance to meet her. My Daughter was only 18 months when my Mum died, my Son never knew her. I was a Nanny at 44 and would not have it any other way. We have been there every step of him growing up in to such a wonderful, well mannered boy. We have had the time to sit and talk about the world to him and have such a special bond with him. We were young enough to do lots of holidays and days out with him and now he loves to come along on more 'grown up days' when we take city breaks, Christmas markets etc. Enjoy every second of it as it goes far too fast.

Katyj Mon 10-Dec-18 08:03:46

I was 45.I'll never forget the first Christmas card I got with grandma written on the envelope, I never thought it was for me, and passed it on to my mum !

Candelle Mon 10-Dec-18 11:36:29

I was 55 and felt I was ready at that age; still young and mobile enough to help with small grandchildren but mature enough in my own life.

I just want to say that I have friends whose daughters have not married/had children. These girls are now in their mid-late thirties and are still not thinking of having families. They assume that when/if they change their minds, babies will happen but the evidence is that this is not always as easy as is thought. My friends, now in their late-sixties, early-seventies, may not ever become a grandma, or if they do, they will not be as fit, mobile and have the stamina necessary to deal with with small children.

My friends look with some envy at my grandchildren and it is sometimes difficult for me, not to speak of recent ‘grandchildren-happenings’ as I know they can not relate to them and I don’t want to upset them.

I guess we take what we are given. We can’t influence when/if our grandchildren are born, or not and with or without grandchildren, we are just as valid as each other.