Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

worried about GD

(91 Posts)
Otter1 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:29:57

It has always been a bone of contention between DD and me that she is untidy and quite honestly unhygenic but after leaving home, doing the student thing, etc - I have left her to it, relieved not have to deal with the fallout of it when she would lose important stuff - repeatedly and not to have the mess in my home. After many years living the single lifestyle and partying very hard, she fell in love with her BF's boyfriend - and at the age of 33 she has given birth to a baby girl who is adorable. Their relationship is on and off and my DD at the age of 20 months lives in often what I would say is a dirty home - kitchen with washing up everywhere, black mould on the windows, the place is smelly, the drains get blocked often and water starts backing up, because they treat the sink and washing machine as waste disposal units.... often GD's clean clothes smell of cooking and cigarettes so when she came to stay with me recently I had to wash all her clothes and when I went to refresh the drink in her cup I thought it looked like it needed a rinse but was shocked to find a slimey texture inside the cup, suggesting that it has been there some time... I have told my DD that I'm worried that's not very healthy and I am getting a lot of (understandably) defensive attitude - I just think it's a shame that it has to come down to a fight between us (and GD's Dad as well) because my intention is to point out something they've missed and they make it about themselves rather than keeping it about their daughter's wellbeing - how else can this issue of lack of hygeine be addressed if no-one speaks up? very frustrated Gran

Deni1963 Mon 10-Dec-18 11:53:15

Perhaps rather than saying anything I'd be more inclined to go around and spend time cleaning it all. You're daughter is an adult and mum, and I think she needs to understand that it's not about her anymore, yes there is untidy, and some times dirty, but it seems to be a pattern with your daughter, and really passive smoking isn't on. If it were me and my 2 year old grand daughter I'd probably get in there, muck in, sort the drains , and consistency but gently keep going.

EllanVannin Mon 10-Dec-18 11:58:35

There's nothing to worry about as long as the child is happy.

etheltbags1 Mon 10-Dec-18 12:07:38

I would try to do things subtly. If you are in their house then getting the child a drink would give you an opportunity to scrub her bottle and maybe her plates. Do wash her things but dont say anything to her ma. Dont use too much conditioner. Ive tried all these tricks in the past

Luckygirl Mon 10-Dec-18 12:11:43

Unless the child is at serious risk - the sort of risk that would make SSD intervene in an active way - then best to stay out of it. People have different standards and you may just have to accept this.

I was a SW and remember one little boy I used to visit. When he was about 2, I went into their filthy flat and he was eating a fried egg directly out of the (by then cold) frying pan swimming in grease. Did we take this boy away from his parents? - no - he was healthy and happy and very much loved in a rather happy-go-lucky fashion. He had an egg to eat - far more than some of our clientele got.

Smoke exposure is far from ideal - but no child is received into care for that alone.

I would stay on the sidelines and just give help when asked.

There are lots of things my DC do with the DGC that I would do differently, but it is not my call.

Luckygirl Mon 10-Dec-18 12:13:21

The inside of one of my DD's fridge is unspeakable - I say and do nowt!

petra Mon 10-Dec-18 12:26:43

I don't know what planet some of you are on RE calling social services.
Are you totally unaware of the pressures these SW are working under and the serious cases they have to decide whether to investigate/ or not on a day to day bases.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Dec-18 12:32:05

This may be partly a housing problem as well as the other concerns. If there is black mould it’s a health issue - Is this a rented property? Is it in good repair?
It’s profoundly depressing living in poor housing and makes simple things (like keeping children clean, drying clothes etc) stressful.
I’m not saying that housing will stop someone washing out a beaker and not smoking in the house but wondered if your daughter’s home is dry and warm?
Also, like another gransnetter - confused what’s going on with the dishwasher?

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 12:34:48

Dont use too much conditioner.
apparently conditioner causes mould - according to my plumber. Clothes conditioners cause mould in the washing machine and pipes and hair conditioner causes mould in the shower.
Since I stopped using it I have noticed a difference.

Buffybee Mon 10-Dec-18 12:35:52

petra there's only one person advocated SS, agnurse as usual. ?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 10-Dec-18 12:36:07

I agree that a few germs do no harm, but OP is not talking about a few germs, but health hazards such as black mould and green slime in the child's feeding vessels!

Dear OP you have mentioned it to your daughter and her husband, and they are not prepared to listen.

A fight between you will do only harm and might well end with your not being welcome in their home, or welcome to have your granddaughter in yours.

If you cannot get your daughter to accept your help cleaning her home then either you have to ignore her mess and hope and pray that your granddaughter is strong enough to survive in an insanitary home, (lots of children always have) or report the conditions to a health visitor or the like. That will lead to a full-blown family quarrel unless you can report it anonymously.

You and others reading this may feel my suggestion is outrageous, but actually, we do have a duty of care to children who are too young to protest themselves and who are living in insalubrious conditions.

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 12:39:51

The inside of one of my DD's fridge is unspeakable - I say and do nowt!
sorting out the fridge is usually my first job when I go to stay with DD - but only because she asks me to do it! I wouldn't do it otherwise.
I know how busy they are.

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 12:44:25

Those drinking vessels with inbuilt straws are a harbour for germs unless they are really scrubbed and run through with boiling water.

However, you don't say that your DGD is constantly ill or chesty, so perhaps she's developing a robust immune system.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 12:56:20

Put your gloves and apron on and offer to clean. I often clean my one dils/sils place as they both work full time and have a toddler. I offered in the first place and was gratefully accepted. It make me feel I am supporting and helping them.

Stop nagging and start helping that’s my advice.

ReadyMeals Mon 10-Dec-18 13:05:13

I think you have to pick the topics carefully. Pick the one most serious risk you can spot, and focus on that. If you can get that sorted out, after a while go for the next most serious. Don't let it start sounding like generic all-encompassing criticism of their lifestyle as that's when you could find estrangements resulting.

JanaNana Mon 10-Dec-18 13:38:24

Could you offer in a friendly way to give a hand maybe once a week. Sometimes a helping hand offered in a way that does not come across as interfering may well be appreciated. Some people by their nature are more messy and mucky than others. I would be quite worried by the slime in the cup, and the black mould, these are both health risks. One way to keep these cups clean and safe quite easily is to buy some good old fashioned Milton solution, used for sterilising babies bottles. It is available in liquid form or tablet. You don't need to buy a special sterilising unit, just a suitably big enough plastic container with a lid and its straightforward and easy to use. Obviously this has to be done regularly and kept out of the baby"s reach.
A solution of white vinegar and water in a spray will help with the black mold. It actually stops it multiplying if used regularly. Condensation is often the reason for it, and not opening windows enough. I would be concerned in your shoes, but your daughter may also be depressed as well, and this could be contributing to her lack of motivation. Hopefully she will accept a little help from you and get back on track.

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Dec-18 13:40:33

How could she? What a mess of a mother. Slime in a child's cup, stinky clothes, mouldy house, sink full of dishes...I'd hate to see the bedding. What a disaster.
No matter what you do, it will never improve your GD's long term living conditions. A very unhappy situation but you will just have to do your best when the child stays with you. I certainly don't recommend cleaning your DD's home. She is quite capable of doing that herself.
You are doing your best and that's all you can do.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 14:41:54

Not everyone is capable of keeping a house and clothes clean though. It’s jot just laziness in some people it’s spare time, lack of seeing the mess, depression etc. It can build up and then the job of cleaning a very messy house seems too big to cope with.

A good one off top to bottom clean by another person can be the first step to the ops dd keeping more on top of things.

ginnycomelately Mon 10-Dec-18 14:46:26

I agree with the above . If she's happy and growing why intervene!

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 14:59:59

There was a thread in mumsnet where a poster felt overwhelmed by cleaning her very dirty house. Some mumsnetters pmd her and they formed a team to go round and help her give it a one off clean. It worked really well and she was then
Able to keep on top of things

GreenGran78 Mon 10-Dec-18 15:03:31

A bit of sneaky cleaning in important areas, such as the slimy cup, maybe, but I would draw the line at cleaning the house for them, or paying a cleaner. It's just encouraging them to be even more casual. If they are renting, something should be done about the mould, though it is often caused by drying wet clothes in a poorly ventilated house.
I'm rather amused by this thread, because I am the one who has the 'dust if you must' attitude to housework. My daughter is slightly fanatical about tidiness and keeping her house clean (though her bedroom was a tip when she was a teenager) She gets exasperated by my piles of music, knitting on the chair, books scattered about and the slightly unkempt appearance of my house. I'm not unhygienic, but a little dust doesn't bother me, and I enjoy having things to hand when I want them. When I had five children and a husband around it was a case of keeping the place tidy, or sinking under the piles of stuff. Now I can please myself, and do so!

mumofmadboys Mon 10-Dec-18 15:15:09

'What a mess of a mother' 'What a disaster'. Both a bit OTT IMHO after only being given a small insight into the situation. If the parents love the child and teach her to be kind and caring this is far more important than clean sinks and ironed clothes.

Greciangirl Mon 10-Dec-18 15:16:24

Yes, I too have a Dd who is untidy and disorganised.

I really have to bite my tongue whenever I visit.
In fact, I would go so far as to say she is fairly grubby.
But dgs usually looks clean and tidy and seems happy enough.
Unfortunately, I can’t criticise. Just have to turn a blind eye.

luluaugust Mon 10-Dec-18 15:19:49

I think it is important to avoid an outright row about this and side with all those suggesting a little sneaky intervention when you can, for instance always giving the cup a good go when you can get your hands on it but not saying anything about it, likewise a quick clean of the sink when your DD is out of the kitchen - you get the idea. IF at some point the child becomes ill then a low key chat might have to happen but otherwise don't get alienated or you will be able to do nothing.

kwest Mon 10-Dec-18 15:53:41

Maybe the offer of helping her once a week with the housework might be a good one. Do you think she might be depressed? Sometimes that can make us unable to get motivated to do routine chores.
Looking back I don't think I was that good at housework but eventually I learned about routines and planning etc. There are just the two of us now, my husband and myself. We have a cleaner once a week and we stay reasonably civilised. There is a brilliant site called Flylady .com which is free of charge and helps people to get their domestic act together. Flylady is really amazing.

Annaram1 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:26:35

What does DD actually stand for? If it is for daughter, why is there a second D?

I am puzzled. Please explain.