Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Exhausted from child care

(144 Posts)
Lupin22 Tue 01-Jan-19 23:23:06

I adore my Grandchildren.
We started with a day a week and it built up to three days a week. Then baby no. 2 arrived and before we knew it we were looking after a 4 month old and a two year old for a joint total of 80 hours per week.
We were exhausted!! My husband in nearly 70, I am 60+ and we kept going for three and a half years until we realised neither of the parents realised how ill it was making us.
After months of anguish I snapped and 'resigned'. My son has made all of the alternative arrangements, but now my dil barely speaks to me. She has to work extra hours to cover the extra nursery hours. I am not feeding the children for four days a week or running them to Nursery or the Doctors. Costs she has to now cover instead of our state pension.
We feel we have let them down but actually we are well for the first time in three years. We can actually meet up with friends or sleep in until after 5.30am.
Why is their expectation so high? Why do we feel so guilty?

Grammaretto Fri 04-Jan-19 11:36:33

I hadn't thought of the advantage of being far away. I even mentioned to the other DGM that she was lucky being so close that she could help with childcare. "I only get them when they are sick" was her reply.
The day nursery wouldn't take them if they were ill.

DoraMarr Fri 04-Jan-19 11:43:12

From reading all these stories it seems communication is key, as is feeling quite able to say “no” and not feel guilty. I care for two of my grandchildren on two separate days, and have said from the outset that I want to still take holidays while my partner, who has PD, is still able. My daughters and sons in law have never thought this unreasonable, and have other family around who can take care of the children when I am away. My other daughter who lives some distance away, however, gets cross if I say I can’t travel to care for her daughter when her childcare breaks down (she has a nanny.) I have tried to explain how different the scenarios are, but she still tries to make me feel guilty. Some you win, and some you lose. The only saving grace is that when these parents reach their sixties and seventies they will realise how exhausting childcare is at our age!

mamapat Sun 06-Jan-19 20:02:12

I and my husband(who still works)have only one grandaughter who is now 13.(I/we)have looked after her since she was 6 month old,while her mum worked.she has nobody else to help.She is in a job which lets her know,at the last minute ,usually on the weekend,how many hours- and what days she will be working the following week,so we cannot plan to do anything ourselves.We feel we cannot leave my G.daughter alone,as she has been prone to unexpected epilepsy.If I mention that the working hours are not on,or unreasonable,my daughter gets upset and puts me in a position in case she loses her job,and says she is in the middle.but its me/us that have our backs against the wall!and usually cave in.(have to say she never asks us to babysit(as such) at other times.

Greengage Tue 08-Jan-19 00:12:48

I feel lucky. I made it clear to my daughter that I had had my family and brought them up without help, and didn't intend to bring up another family. I am in my 70s and sadly the only grandparent left. Although I am not prepared to take on any regular childcare, I am involved in my grandchild's life both for pleasure and doing babysitting and emergency cover. I am more than happy to do numerous 'one offs' but not prepared to tie myself down to long term regular childcare. This works really well for all of us and as a consequence my d and s-i-l are very appreciative and I get lots of quality time with the family too.

newgran2019 Mon 14-Jan-19 18:55:29

Our first GC is about to appear and, Greengage, I plan and hope to do as you have done.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Jan-19 19:17:21

Exciting times ahead newgran2019! Congratulations. Start as you mean to go on. You can always add in more but it’s not easy to subtract as posts on here show!

Greengage Mon 14-Jan-19 23:22:37

newgran2019 Hope you really enjoy your first GC. I have a great relationship with mine and will be looking after her when her new sibling arrives in a couple of months. My 'system' is working really well, and it allows me to have a life to call my own too.

retirementisgreat Wed 16-Jan-19 21:17:36

My dad announced she is getting married after being with her partner for over 12 years. They have 5 children between them, the that live with them. The wedding is going to be a registry office with just two witnesses. The children will not be attending nor will they be going on the “Honeymoon” . I wasn’t asked, it was assumed, that I would care for the children while they are away. The youngest is quite a handful and at 3 years old I think he would be upset at being separated from his parent for too long. His health is a worry and I don’t want the responsibility for a week, so have said no. Am I being unreasonable. My dad is not speaking to me!

retirementisgreat Wed 16-Jan-19 21:19:36

Please read Daughter where it says dad!

Greengage Wed 16-Jan-19 23:39:48

retirementisgreat The fact that your daughter is not speaking to you rather says it all. For her to be disappointed by your refusal is one thing, but not to speak to you shows a complete disregard for your feelings and point of view.

Katyj Thu 17-Jan-19 05:46:03

Retirementisgreat, do not feel guilty about this for one second To just assume you would have the dc is very selfish.My son asked us to have our ddc for two weeks when they got married, we said no, it was far too long, and besides that they hadn't taken ddc on holiday for 4 years ! They had been together 10 years by then.The three of them went away for a few days, nothing more was said.

Joenpat Fri 25-Jan-19 03:18:37

I am 72 and look after my twin 3yro granddaughters 1 day a week cook dinner for them & Dil& also pick them up from kindy another day while my son away all week working.I also have them for a sleepover at least once a month.I am exhausted at the end of the day.I love them to bits but would not like to have them more days. I definatelt don't have the stamina I had 20yrs ago.

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 05:48:46

Having just finished an utterly pleasurable but totally exhausting two week with my very bright, inquisitive and endlessly hungry dgs, I know how you all feel.

I was asked in advance and I knew for sure that if I'd said it wasn't convenient, that would have been accepted without demur.
Yes, I'm very tired but I loved every minute and value what short time I'm likely to have with him.

Mamma66 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:34:39

My stepson is 26, nearly 27. I love him, but don’t like him very much at the moment. His relationship broke down almost a year ago and he has been living with us ever since. He has a stepdaughter aged 7, a daughter of 4 and a son of 2. The relationship breakdown was very acrimonious and he was prevented from seeing the children until the beginning of June when a court order came into place. The children come from 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday. He abdicates all responsibility to us.

Both parents are failing the children and Social Services are involved. Our current position is that we have to supervise his contact with them at all times.

This weekend the mother sent the children knowing full well the 4 year old was poorly and had been sent home from school. My husband was working shifts all weekend so it was down to me (hubby is very good and takes the load when he is there).

So this weekend I had to cope with a poor little dot who was projectile vomiting and howling for her Mummy. We actually asked at 12.20 on Sunday if we could take them back early and the answer from the Mother was that she was out and would let me know when she got back. We ended taking them back about 4.30 - a whole 30 minutes early!

In my opinion we provide the only stability for the children at the moment and the only proper care. We love them dearly and I don’t think that anything can change ATM. The little one woke up at 5.00am on Sunday howling the house down. Her father (in the adjacent room) ignored her and eventually sloped downstairs at 9.40 after my husband rang up from work on his break and yelled at him as I was trying to console a poorly little girl who had just thrown up everywhere. Stepson came downstairs for a few minutes and then went back to play on Fifa!!

I just wanted to rant really, the children deserve so much better ?

Jenova Tue 29-Jan-19 10:45:53

Part of the guilt may stem from cutting off the care completely which meant that your DIL and Son had to pick up the slack for their children. Most likely, your DIL does most of the work now, ferrying them to daycare, taking days off when they are sick. They also have less money to spend with the nursery and food costs, and most likely your DIL is feeling even more exhausted than ever as she deals with the kids, house and her job.
If you feel up to it you may be able to take care of them for 1 day a week or even a half day (pick them up from nursery). But I would be very wary that they don't try to push more onto you than you can handle.
I'm glad you feel a lot better now. Try to remember that you and your husband have worked hard for many years and that as this is your retirement you should enjoy your years now. Think of it as a well deserved break after so many hours. You're not supposed to be working so many hours in your golden years.

DorothyL Thu 31-Jan-19 11:21:46

Mamma66 your stepson sounds like my SIL - the FIFA over childcare especially. My SIL is 40 though.
Makes me want to rant too. What is it about some fathers that they don't seem to have any feeling of responsibility for their own children?

teador Wed 30-Mar-22 11:15:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sodapop Wed 30-Mar-22 12:39:45

This thread is 3 years old now.