Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Things I learnt after three weeks with grandkids

(52 Posts)
Brownsgirl Tue 08-Jan-19 11:44:14

Spending Christmas with my son and family was never going to be easy. We had ups and downs. Staying in an air b n b worked well for first 10days and was very comfortable and friendly . Gave all space. My second grandson timed his arrival the first full day I was there . So I minded my other 2 grandkids and had to sleep over. My son stressed out and tired yelled at me in front of kids o my third day there over something stupid I did accidentally. Not a great start. Over the holiday the older kids had coughs I threw up totally out of the blue on New Years Day just as my daughter in laws mother, brother and grandmother arrived and was ill for 24 hrs. So stayed away from them all. Caught a bug that was going around. I was on my own New Years Eve as whole family including baby were at friends for party. Nana not invited. I had one drink all evening.Went to bed at twenty past 12. Baby took ill two days later and into hospita viral meningitis caused by Enterovirus in his spinal fluid. My son off work and back and forth to hospital . He then lit into me again while talking . He was drinking . I had said I could stay longer if need be to mind kids and we were discussing me moving near them. He then said I had “ thrown money and presents at kids” yet acknowledged I had done more with them and taken them more places than rest of grandparents except PaternalGrandfather who takes them twice A week. He then gave off to me about my ex husband his father and criticised me for staying near him and protecting my ex for years after divorce. Said I should have taken him and gone back home when he was young. He was very bitter and although has said this before... much angrier. My son absolutely adores his wife and kids . He has a lovely home and a great job . However has nothing good to say about either set of parents and keeps saying they have learnt from our parents mistakes. I will be back to them of course but I don’t want to ever stay with them again and I will probably move back nearer to take grandkids regularly while still working. I can not fix my mistakes.. I did best I could as a single mum. My son does know that deep down . Back home again and it’s so quiet. My baby grandson was home 2 hours before I left and sleeping so never got to hold him. He is perfectly fine now. My other grandson had been sick all night and was sleeping my social butterfly grand daughter was too busy to say bye properly . They had detached from me all morning till I left. Home to a very quiet flat on my own. Being a long distance grandparent is hardworking.

MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 15:46:50

I am unclear then as to what the problem is?
Maybe OP just getting something off her chest?
Sounds as if all is OK now, at least I hope so.

On a more cheerful note, after having my DGS here for just 3 days, I learned this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w