Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son says only way i can see his child is court

(115 Posts)
Devastatedgranny Sun 20-Jan-19 23:59:08

The problem is that im told to leave him to cool down he might change his mind and let me see my grandchild. But! Others are saying see a solicitor pronto
What is the best option?

Nonnie Mon 21-Jan-19 15:59:58

Dil do you think your opinion might be based on what happened to you? Do you think people should just accept that children should be cut off from seeing one half of their family? Do you think it benefits children to be left wondering why they can't see people they love? Maybe you think its OK for them to be told lies about one half of their family. What is best for the children should be most important but if their mother won't allow for no good reason surely the court should be given the chance to intervene?

DIL17 Mon 21-Jan-19 16:05:03

Everyone's opinions in life are based on experience and understanding.

My parents never lied to use about why the didn;t like her being around us and she just proved it herself with her actions.

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 16:09:19

The only acceptable time I can see it as acceptable for GPR to be taken is in the event that a child has had to live apart from their parents and be placed in the care of their GPs.
If then the parents get their act together and do gain their child back it could be extremely damaging to the child to then cut out the GPs.

But same as PP. if anyone ever threatened me with court over my children they would 1. Be never spoken about again
And 2. I would make sure that I fought tooth and nail to ensure they didn’t win anything.

luluaugust Mon 21-Jan-19 16:11:31

Its always best to avoid going to law if you can, as we don't know the back story and because somebody has suggested to you your DS might calm down I think you should let things lie for the time being at least. This is assuming your DGC is not in any danger.

Nonnie Mon 21-Jan-19 16:14:36

Dil of course our experiences affect our opinions but it is also possible to see things from others' points of view as well.

Bibbity do you think that if you were behaving unreasonably it would be the only thing someone could do? If you were already not speaking to them what have they got to lose? I can understand your viewpoint because you are probably talking about reasonable people but what it the mother isn't behaving reasonably?

Summerlove Mon 21-Jan-19 16:34:58

Nonnie, what have you got to lose?

The chance at every having a good relationship again. Loads of money. Forcing other family and friends to choose sides.

Just because grandparents are sad, doesn’t trump the parents choices for their children.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 16:38:36

I don't believe parents should have a legal right to make poor decisions on behalf of their children, and if grandparents are a positive force then they should be given access.

Nonnie Mon 21-Jan-19 16:40:18

But Summer if you have already lost that relationship (or never had it) and the whole family has been cut off what is there to lose? I did refer to one side of the family. What is money when it comes to the welfare of GC?

Jenova Mon 21-Jan-19 18:19:57

I remember another post of yours but I can't remember the details of it. Does anyone have a link?

I would say the better option is to let him cool down but you are welcome to see a lawyer and ask their opinion in the meantime. This is more long term advice which would foster a better relationship with your Son and GCs down the track.

If you do decide to sue them the parents can still make things difficult. Even if you do win it can be a loss as the parents can file an appeal, move further away (which may make things harder) etc.

I tend to believe that GP rights are more for if one parent has passed away or one parent has full custody and the other parent does not want any contact with the child which would make it difficult for the GPs to visit or if the GC lived with the GPs for an extended period of time (over 6 months). GP rights hampers the parents ability to raise a child and make decisions for the their family unit as they have to go through lawyers for them. GP rights once even threatened can be hard to come back from. It's scorched earth and only to be done after mediation has failed.

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 18:59:58

No. I believe that parents should choose how to raise their children.

Where does it end?
Because outside of parental relationships grandparents aren’t any more special than other relations.

Uncle rights? Aunty rights? Cousin rights? God parent rights?

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 19:01:10

Well, then we can agree to disagree. smile

nanny2507 Mon 21-Jan-19 19:17:48

GOOD grandparents are vital

debohunXL5 Mon 21-Jan-19 19:39:09

I agree with MissAdventure and Nanny2507. GC need their loving grandparents especially if they have been involved in their lives constantly before being separated from them and parents were happy with their input.

debohunXL5 Mon 21-Jan-19 19:40:59

Bibbity Grandparents are special people. There is a special relationship between youngsters and more older people as you can see from recent television programmes.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 19:43:21

My daughter and my mum were best friends.
They used to gang up on me! smile
I would never, ever have denied either of them that love.

sodapop Mon 21-Jan-19 19:44:51

Another sugar coated TV programme debohun I could think of nothing worse than having a lot of children inflicted on me in my care home.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 19:46:11

grin sodapop.

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 19:46:33

My Dad and my son are best friends. He cried because he can’t live with him.

But the law should never ever factor in when a parent decides what is best for their child.

Let’s not go down the abuse route. Obviously it’s a different ball game if absue is present.

But Children are perfectly capable of growing up Happy, fulfilled and healthy without grandparents.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 19:54:23

Yep. We definitely agree to disagree.
You've only to read some of threads here to see what a force for good grandparents can be; stepping in and helping out emotionally, financially, and so on, when the parents are unable, unwilling, or not up to it.

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 19:58:54

Yes. I have read a lot of the threads here. That are one sided.

There are plenty of threads on Mumsnet as well about issues and then of course children providing extremely substantial care for their parents.

GPs can be great. My children are very lucky to have my parents.

But I have and would fight any law that the government brought in to remove rights from parents.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 20:01:56

I don't see why any loving parent wouldn't want their children to have more love from decent people.
Any issues can be discussed in an adult way and resolved, and the result is an all round win.
I hope the law does change, I would welcome it.

debohunXL5 Mon 21-Jan-19 20:04:26

Bibbity I think you have to know all the background. Every case is different. It is not one size fits all. But we must all agree that what is right has to be in the childrens best interests not what the parents want it is what the CHILDREN want that is right. Why cant people see that we have to think of the children. always. Parents should not have the right to stop children seeing their grandparents.

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 20:05:30

Because sometimes the person is the issue. And no amount of talking is going to solve it.
And if the parent believes that the person is the issue why would they want to expose their child to that?

Love is not always enough. Just because someone loves a child doesn’t make them a good person.
And a child’s live is not a good indicator of the character of that individual.

Thankfully it looks like the law will never change.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 20:09:15

On the contrary, I think its in the process as we speak.
Just as any other vulnerable group in society has rights (whether they realise it or not) so do children.
Every other vulnerable group, if decisions are made on their behalf, have the right to those decisions being legally in their "best interests".

Bibbity Mon 21-Jan-19 20:11:18

It was brought up, along with a petition to fight it, on MN. It’s not going to go through.

The government are not going to begin stripping parental rights. It would cause uproar amongst their biggest group of voters. Parents are the majority. And parents are their children’s advocates. When they are not is when SS step in.

But right now and for the foreseeable future nothing will get through the government.