Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Cheeky or funny?

(57 Posts)
Grannyrebel27 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:57:44

It was my grandson's 8th birthday recently. He's always been a bit cheeky but has improved as he's got older and has found a focus with football which seems to have helped with his behaviour. However after his party I gave him the usual hug and kiss and said I'd see him in a few weeks and he said to me "You've got big coconuts!" I haven't I hasten to add! I'm a modest 34C but compared to his mum, his other granny and my daughter who are all flat chested I suppose I have! I was taken aback and didn't say anything but my son told him off mildly. I was a bit annoyed at first but my husband and I had a good laugh about it in the car on the way back. Kids eh!

chrissyh Tue 23-Apr-19 13:40:40

My DGD, 4 at the time' said to me 'you've got big juggernauts' goodness knows where she got that from - I have. I must admit it made me smile but I did say that she shouldn't go round saying that to people and, as far as I know, she hasn't.

Beejo Tue 23-Apr-19 14:17:45

When visiting son and daughter in law recently, they told their boys they had to wait for screen time until we had gone home. However we were obviously hanging around too long when oldest grandson (9 at the time) said "Will you go home now oh no that was really rude wasn't it!" (sorry for the lack of punctuation but that was how he said it, all in one long sentence.)
His mum's face was a picture and guaranteed that he won't make the mistake of voicing impolite thoughts again!wink

breeze Tue 23-Apr-19 14:24:26

Agree entirely Framilode god save us from the fun police.

I brought up 3 boys and our house has always been full of banter which I find very funny. They are completely respectful of women. They know the difference between a joke and being cruel. Sometimes when I 'bang on' one of them will say 'shouldn't you be in the kitchen' grin They know full well if I thought they meant it they'd be for it.

What a grey old PC world the starchy knickered amongst us must live in. I couldn't live without humour.

Just had a fab weekend. Hadn't seen 2 of my boys for several months. And DGD's (who are very cheeky and often pull their uncles legs) stayed for the weekend too. Their father is quite strict. As I was. There is to be no swearing and no actual insults. Only things said in jest. They are 6 and 8 and they already know the difference because we have pointed it out to them. It's called learning to recognise that difference along with know your audience. So 7 of us celebrating the sunshine, music, humour and my birthday which is today.

My DH was putting a double bed together on Saturday. One where the whole thing lifts up for storage. I commented that it would be great storage and that 'you could hide a body in there' he looked at me and said slowly 'Well......' We both laughed. My DH is one of the most respectful men you will find. It... was... a... joke grin and I am not a snowflake.

sunshine

Annaram1 Tue 23-Apr-19 14:32:52

We were in the garden with my mum. My little boy, aged 4, suddenly came out with the F word. My mum immediately started laughing, I was more cross with her than him. I said "Mum! don't laugh! You'll only encourage him!" Then I told him he must never say that again as it was very rude. He is 52 now and I have never heard him say it again.

Telly Tue 23-Apr-19 14:39:12

I would have found the quite rude, would not be tolerated in our family. I wonder why anyone would have found that appropriate.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Apr-19 14:39:22

The vocabulary used in different families can be problematic. Now my DC are married with DC they have adopted some different words.
I would never call breasts boobies but they do.
our DC, aged about 8 and 9, were reading a joke book. They said to their DGM can you make a noise like a frog?. Because dad says we'll get your money when you croak
She did not find that amusing and really believed my DH had said it!!

icanhandthemback Tue 23-Apr-19 15:00:34

breeze, I'm with you, as a family we find things funny that obviously are frowned upon here! We're happy though and, as a general rule, all get on well so it works for us. My knickers are much too floppy!

lemongrove Tue 23-Apr-19 15:07:42

To the OP I would say it’s very cheeky for an eight year old to say this (to anyone) including his Grandma.
His Dad told him so, hopefully he won’t do it again.
Children have to learn appropriate behaviour and language from their family.

breeze Tue 23-Apr-19 15:15:30

icanhandthemback grin I salute your floppy drawers grin

Framilode Tue 23-Apr-19 16:19:51

Me too, Breeze.

JanaNana Tue 23-Apr-19 16:56:05

Walking through a park many years ago with two of my grandsons,then aged 7 & 5, a man riding his bike on the adjacent cycle path was approaching us from the opposite direction. The youngest one said "look nan at that man's great big ears" in a really loud voice. I felt quite embarrassed, however my other grandson told his brother off so to speak. He said to me "Nan you're only allowed to think those things arn"t you, but not allowed to say them" then gave his brother a big nudge with his elbow! The youngest one has always been what we used to call "the original John Blunt" and the eldest born with a book of etiquette in his hands. Some children seem to know naturally what is acceptable to say at a much younger age, others need reminding.

Funnygran Tue 23-Apr-19 17:37:32

Our next door neighbour when I was a child had a very large bust and cleavage which fascinated me since my DM was almost completely flat chested. One day when they were talking over the garden fence I apparently came out with clothing stuffed down my front and announced that I was like Mrs T now! My mum was horrified and told me how rude I was, Mrs T thought it was very funny!

Oldandverygrey Tue 23-Apr-19 17:54:19

Ditto Telly's comment.

rafichagran Tue 23-Apr-19 17:58:31

Stop being so serious and chill, he is a kid, tell him not to say it again and don't laugh in his presence. Save it for when he is not there.

As for disrespecting women, oh please, let's not take it so seriously. Tell him that it is innapropriate to say those things, and if he keeps saying it IGNORE, he will soon get fed up when he does not get the attention he wants.

Boys that age soon move on and find other things to Interest them. Don't worry OP, cheeky yes, but nothing I would consider that bad.

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:16:58

A lot of people feel embarrassed and awkward when children make personal comments about them, others find it hilarious, either way, children need to be taught not to be rude to people, it won’t make them popular

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:20:27

That sounds a bit judgmental, I’m sure the little boy was just having a bit of fun, trouble is not everything shares the same sense of humour!

Evie64 Tue 23-Apr-19 19:59:33

I think at 8 it needs to be explained to him that sometimes it's nicer to find "kind words" if commenting on people's appearance.

quizqueen Tue 23-Apr-19 20:04:11

Is it any wonder that men think they can continue to say inappropriate things to girls and women. It all starts with that 'cheeky' 10 year old! Cheeky=badly behaved, in my opinion.

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 20:20:04

That’s a good point quizqueen, maybe it’s not so funny after all

grumppa Tue 23-Apr-19 22:08:00

But it's not just boys, quizqueen. Four-year-old DGD said to me "You've got gimassive ears, grandpa." I thought it was very funny, and to be fair I had just had my hair cut. I wouldn't put it past her to say something similar now she's seven, and I'd still find it funny.

Nanah67 Tue 23-Apr-19 22:31:50

My 4 year old granddaughter asked me at the weekend why I had no decking outside like her other grandma. I explained I did have but it was very slippy and I had to remove it as I fell and injured my back on it. She asked did I go to the doctors with it and I said I did and am still going to get injections in it. Oh Nanny she said it’s not because of the decking it’s because you are old!!!!!

Eloethan Tue 23-Apr-19 23:48:29

Sometimes young children make spontaneous comments which might appear cheeky or impolite. At a fairly young age such remarks are often copied from someone else and are not understood. When such a thing happens with little children it is sometimes so unexpected that it is funny (but it's probably not a good idea to laugh if you don't want to hear it repeated!).

I think that is different from an older child making comments that they know to be disrespectful or crude. In my view an 8 year old calling his grandma a "relic" is not at all charming or funny.

Duvetdiva Wed 24-Apr-19 09:45:08

Describing other women as ‘flat chested’ is more offensive to me. It’s a cruel and more often than not an inaccurate description.

Telly Wed 24-Apr-19 11:33:22

Surely children have to be taught what is appropriate? Just to laugh it off surely sends out the wrong message.

Deedaa Wed 24-Apr-19 21:00:32

Oh dear my GSs (12 and 6) often spend ages squishing my squidgy arms and commenting on my great age. When they came over on Easter Sunday we sat and discussed who was going to have which of my ornaments when I die (That one's not going to end well!) It's not cheeky, it's just a game we've always played. The 6 year old's parting shot when they left was " Will we be able to bury you in our garden?"