Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

don't panic

(33 Posts)
Blessmissdunstable Tue 30-Apr-19 12:26:34

Helphelphelp - agreed back in February to babysit 3 and 1 year old granddaughters from Friday to Sunday while Son and DIL attend a distant wedding. The playdate weekend is coming up fast. It now occurs to me - not a moment too soon, you might think - that I haven't looked after a 1 year old on my own since 1988, and that I never did get on all that well with under 5's. These children don't really know me. I rarely see them. This is a disaster. What was I thinking. Why on earth did I agree. Heart rate rising. Too late to cancel. Apart from taking deep breaths, what do I do now?

Katyj Fri 03-May-19 15:11:33

Good luck Bless.Just waiting for my dgc same age as yours to arrive for the weekend.Don't forget to eat and drink, I often neglect myself while their here, then wonder where my energy has gone !

SusieB50 Fri 03-May-19 17:01:49

The dreaded buggies and car seats ! I have to get my daughter to open up the buggy and leave it up during the whole duration as I can't work it out ! We had to abandon a car trip once as I couldn't fasten the car seat belt . At least it wasn't the other way round- unable to get him out! The older DGD looked on witheringly as if to say " who HAVE you left us with ?"

Katyj Fri 03-May-19 18:55:34

Oh how I sympathise Suzie, don't know why there so complicated.Last time we needed the car seat taking out we had to go back to the shop and ask them to take it for us.I'd got myself into such a tiswas, it wasn't until we got home that I realised I hadn't even bought it from there! .

Starlady Sat 04-May-19 01:51:04

Susie and Katy - sigh... lol!

Katyj Mon 06-May-19 12:00:39

How did you get on Bless ? Hope everything went well, and your looking forward to next time grin

Blessmissdunstable Mon 13-May-19 10:43:13

Thank you so much to everyone!

They survived. I hope they did not pick up any of the interesting words Granny may have said once or twice. I rediscovered muscles I hadn't used since 1989. Today I will be mainly lying down.

Next time. Mmm. Mm...

Witzend Mon 13-May-19 11:01:13

Glad it went well, OP! Talk about a 'phew' moment.

Re car seats, oh Lord, I still have trouble even after plenty of practice. However the worst was when dd once phoned from the friend's house in France where she was staying with little Gdcs - she needed to get an earlier flight home, the weather was awful and baby Gds wasn't well (he had a history of bronchiolitis).

Trouble was, she'd flown from Stansted, the earliest flight back was to Gatwick - and she'd left her car at Stansted!
We had one car seat, so I had to zoom down to Halfords for another and tell the very nice man I needed a baby seat that was absolutely simple for me to install in a hurry.

And I had shingles!!!
But thank goodness I managed, picked them up, drove them home - an hour and a half from where I live. And little Gds was not too bad that time, though he'd been in hospital before with bronchiolitis, and would be again.

It was poor old son in law who had to trek to Stansted to,pick her car up later.