Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I'm whacked out

(46 Posts)
Dana6789 Fri 16-Aug-19 17:18:37

My daughter and 2 grandchildren (9 months and nearly 3) have been round again for most of the day today. I do find it is lovely they want to come but very wearying as I have rather stiff joints and am nearly 70.

When it is time to go home, the whole process is so long and drawn out with an over tired 3 year old who needs so much persuading, jollying along etc etc that I am so keen for it to be over I just tell my daughter to go and I will tidy up.

I am then faced with toys and games strewn about or hidden all over the place and it takes an age to get straight again by which time I am no good for anything!

I don't have the heart to ask my poor daughter to clear up as she is drained from the boys, both of whom are poor sleepers so there is little respite from them.

I thought maybe fewer toys to choose from might help, although the ones here are my own children's old toys and games that have stood the test of time so I am reluctant to chuck them.

Anŷ suggestions how I can cope better with this 2x weekly event? My husband is working so can't help.

Luckygirl Fri 16-Aug-19 17:22:15

You and I both in the same boat at the moment - I am lolling about in front of TV as I too am whacked!

But they are lovely!

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Aug-19 17:26:14

Put most of the toys and games away, Dana, out of sight. Just choose a few to put out for them each time they visit. There'll still be a mess to clear up when they leave, but at least it'll be a smaller mess!

Esmerelda Fri 16-Aug-19 17:30:45

Yes, agree with Maggiemaybe that putting away most of the toys would be a help. Find a secure cupboard to store them and change round the ones they have each time they come so they don't get bored with them.

gillybob Fri 16-Aug-19 17:35:03

I had 4 of them staying for 2 days/ nights this week and my house was like a bomb site . Every room up to the eyes , every surface sticky, every toy out, every bed to strip, bedding to wash , sand and mud in the shower ...... oh the joys confused

Ginny42 Fri 16-Aug-19 17:48:37

You have my sympathy. When my DD and DGS were here from abroad for a month earlier in the summer, I was constantly tidying up. After a while I decided to just 'relax into it. I bought lovely boxes. Lots of them from TKMaxx, and everything was away in no time. Especially good are some like old school desks with a lift up lid and a magnetic closure.

Within an hour of dropping them at the airport, I would have given anything to have my untidy house back! Roll on Christmas hols.

GoodMama Fri 16-Aug-19 18:01:25

Picking up a room full of toys thrown about is exhausting. I have a 2 year old and we do it twice a day.

But, “we” do it. When the room is starting to get unreasonable I grab a box or container and tell her to help me put them away. Usually before we break for lunch. She helps gather the toys and puts them away. She’s quite good at it.
Then we do it again in the evening with her dad before bed.

I would suggest something similar. About an hour before they are set to leave he helps pick up. Sing a song, make it fun. But a 3 year old can certainly help pick up the toys he’s been playing with.

Bibbity Fri 16-Aug-19 18:14:02

I wouldn’t throw toys with such sentimental value.
Could you hide the majority in your room and only bring down one or two?

midgey Fri 16-Aug-19 18:40:00

It might make the going home easier if you develop a routine, tidy toys into box, perhaps have a little cuddle/story while mum has a cuppa and then home. There’s a reason nurseries and playgroups end quietly!

seacliff Fri 16-Aug-19 19:00:14

I agree, just bring a small amount of toys out each time. They will enjoy them just as much. And it's worth trying the suggestion from midgey, re cuddle story - winding down time.

Joyfulnanna Fri 16-Aug-19 19:19:02

God I don't know how you manage 2x a week. Must take you the days between to recover let alone getting down on your hands and knees to tidy up after them. Isn't once a week enough? Tell your daughter how tired you are. It's not fair on you. She chose to have the children and if they're poor sleepers, she needs to manage that and not put upon you so much.

Tangerine Fri 16-Aug-19 19:24:14

Insist on not having so many toys out at once. The children can't play properly with anything if too many toys are in front of them.

vena11 Fri 16-Aug-19 19:32:24

Try to enjoy it, it does not last forever. tiring yes but nice.

Hetty58 Fri 16-Aug-19 19:42:39

I tend to just leave the toys out (maybe kicked into the corner) but then I'm lazy! My friend, the tidy, houseproud one, always had a rule with her own kids, (and now grandkids) the four toys rule. They only have the four out and have to put one away if they want another one!

DoraMarr Fri 16-Aug-19 20:09:20

I have lots of toys in baskets. I get a basket or two out at a time, then the children help tidy up. ( I do most of the tidying, but it’s good for them to think they’re helping.) Even if they are picked up earlier than I was expecting it doesn’t take long to clear up all the toys and books into their baskets. Then I sweep up, tidy the cushions, pour a nice glass of wine and relax. Proper cleaning happens the next day.
If the three year old is overtired and reluctant to go, could you tell him he can have one toy or book to borrow until next time, and he can choose once he is ready to go home?

Daisymae Fri 16-Aug-19 20:12:12

Think that you need to make a game out of tidying up before they leave. That way your DD can help too. It's madness to exhaust yourself twice a week.

annep1 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:34:30

I think you need to nicely say that you're too tire to tidy afterwards so could you start tidying an hour before they plan to leave and finish with a little story as someone suggested. I'm sure your daughter will understand. Start well in advance. You can't go on like this. They do grow up quickly so you want to remember it as a happy time.

Farmor15 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:07:05

I’m another one with baskets. Also wouldn’t bother trying to tidy up much if they come twice a week. Just enough off the floor to run the vacuum over. You can’t really have a tidy house with children around. I also rotate the toys so everything isn’t out at once. If the nearly 3 year old isn’t used to tidying up, it may cause too much stress to all to try to get him to do it, though making a game out of it might help.

AnnS1 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:08:23

Get a few of those grabber things, saves bending. My grandkids love using them.

crazyH Fri 16-Aug-19 21:31:26

I've got my teenage grandkids here now - my daughter is divorced, and she is on a date at the moment, and wanted the house to herself this evening. Being teenagers, they really prefer to stay in their own house, in their own rooms, although they love my cooking. Fortunately, they are close in age, boy and girl, and get on very well. Once I've fed and watered them, they sit in the lounge BUT do not tidy up .....cushions all over the place, empty crisp packets. I have just been down and told them to tidy up before they go to bed. I hope they do.?

Dana6789 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:40:09

Thank you everyone who has replied, I have read your replies with interest and will take them on board.

The idea of using the last hour for clearing up is a good one and indeed obvious when I think about it. I think I am sometimes too tired to even think properly!

The idea of putting some toys away is also one I could have thought of myself had I felt better. We have a toy room for storing the toys which are then brought out into the sitting room and another bedroom with my own children's old jigsaws etc. I will pack some of them out of sight.

THE 3 year old used to be so good at playing with something then tidying it away, but gradually without me really noticing, he has turned into an over tired whirling dervish who strews or hides stuff everywhere so I might find a toy elephant in the cutlery drawer or Lego behind the cushions, jigsaw pieces on the book case etc

This was amusing to start with but now I find it tiresome.

Anyway, moan over and I feel so much better now. I will try be more on top of the game next time and enlist my daughters help.

BradfordLass72 Fri 16-Aug-19 23:11:37

In our house, when my boys were little, we had a rule 'only 2 toys out each'. After all, with very few exceptions, a child can only play with one toy at a time.

Then, even before they were 3 years old, they helped to tidy up. no cajoling or jollying, it was just another game.
It was a short job and done in a trice. Something your daughter might like to adopt, as she too is tired.
Be firm and don't wait until the last minute when over-tiredness makes the children cross and awkward.

We also spent the last half-hour or so of any play time, after toys had been put away, sitting cuddled on the couch with a storybook. That calmed them down and often they just dozed off.

Play excites children and they need that calming down period.
Especially if they don't sleep well.

No screens, just quiet talking and cuddling before bedtime. My grandson sometimes needed a liquid magnesium, which their naturopath recommended.

Nanniejude Sun 18-Aug-19 08:37:35

Enjoy your GC, why worry about the mess. Be grateful you have them, what’s more important? Would you rather be sitting lonely in a clean and tidy house or surrounded by mess, laughter and love?

Hetty58 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:40:32

I bet a lot of people on the 'estrangement' posts would gladly swap with you Dana!

annep1 Mon 19-Aug-19 18:52:59

Maybe so Hetty but it doesn't help Dana.